Converting money on trip to Vancouver

Old June 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

Default Converting money on trip to Vancouver

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 06:30:33 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 03:04:15 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Bad advice all around. First a cash advance will have fee's attached to
it,
even if you pay it off at the end of the month. 2nd bad advice is to
use
credit card for most expenses. Go to the ATM and get cash. Most, if
not
all CC companies add a 1-3" foreign exchange fee to credit card
transactions.

So do most ATM card issuers these days, too.

City Bank is 3%. You get it even if you use your Debit card
for a credit card transaction. Most you will get is an about $1.50 ATM
charge from your home bank if they charge you for out of network usage.
do not think the Canadians add a charge. $1.50 on a $300 withdrawal is
lot less than the CC fees.

Uh, no. Most ATM issuers are charging a percent or three for the
currency conversion these days, in addition to their $1.50
"foreign" machine fee.

Last summer in 5 weeks in Canada we got no currency exchange fees, and
last
week in Mexico, we had no exchange fees.

And how does that negate my comment that *most* ATM card issuers
charge an extra currency converson fee, above and beyond the
system 1%?

Would you mind telling me who issued your ATM card? Maybe I can
get one.

Bank of the west.

Old June 14th, 2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"sharx35" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote:

Bad advice all around. First a cash advance will have fee's attached to
it,
even if you pay it off at the end of the month. 2nd bad advice is to
use a
credit card for most expenses. Go to the ATM and get cash. Most, if
not
all CC companies add a 1-3" foreign exchange fee to credit card
transactions.

So do most ATM card issuers these days, too.

City Bank is 3%. You get it even if you use your Debit card
for a credit card transaction. Most you will get is an about $1.50 ATM
charge from your home bank if they charge you for out of network usage.
do not think the Canadians add a charge. $1.50 on a $300 withdrawal is
lot less than the CC fees.

Uh, no. Most ATM issuers are charging a percent or three for the
currency conversion these days, in addition to their $1.50
"foreign" machine fee.

Last summer in 5 weeks in Canada we got no currency exchange fees, and
last week in Mexico, we had no exchange fees.

You really ARE a dunce. Currency exchange fees are INCLUDED in the
calculation. They are NOT separately itemized.

Yes they are. Same as on a credit card, but the CC companies are adding a
3% extra defined charge.

Old June 14th, 2007, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:03:44 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message

Uh, no. Most ATM issuers are charging a percent or three for the
currency conversion these days, in addition to their $1.50
"foreign" machine fee.
Last summer in 5 weeks in Canada we got no currency exchange fees, and
last
week in Mexico, we had no exchange fees.

And how does that negate my comment that *most* ATM card issuers
charge an extra currency converson fee, above and beyond the
system 1%?

Would you mind telling me who issued your ATM card? Maybe I can
get one.

Bank of the west.

I see we have them here in Tucson. I'll have to check 'em out.

Old June 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

PeterL wrote:
So you just got off the airplane. You have no Canadian money. Do
they have an office at the airport?

No, but their downtown office is within walking distance of most of the
major downtown tourist and business hotels. Use your credit card to pay
for the cab fare from the airport to downtown.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

sharx35 wrote:
No fees or commission. I was just there today buying USD for an upcoming

Bull****. The fees are built in to the conversion formula. Do you REALLY
think that they do it out of the goodness of their hearts?

They make their money on the difference between their buying and selling
rates. When I say that they have no fees or commission, I mean that
there are no additional commission charges or fees *on top* of their posted
buy and sell rates. You are arguing over semantics.

My point still stands that obtaining USD from VBCE is cheaper than
using my ATM card to get cash from a US ATM. My bank's exchange rates
are worse than VBCE's and my bank would charge me a foreign ATM access
fee on top.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rudy[_1_]

I see we have them here in Tucson. I'll have to check 'em out.

My Canadian Credit union ATM card gets the "no fee" treatment at all the
credit unions in Tucson and in Canada as well