V Austrailla ???

Old January 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default V Austrailla ???

Hey everyone

I posted a message a while back about air consolidators for trip to
Australia from the US (BIL, CPR, DEN, JAC, RAP, or SLC). Well in any
event I have a friend that may be able to get me a free ticket on
Delta to LAX or SFO. If that happens that would be great news, as I am
sure that I can get a better fare to SYD from there. Well just
wondering if anyone has any experience with Air New Zealand, Qunatas,
or V Australia. I could also go on American or United, as well a few
other Asian carriers. No experience with American for overseas
flights, but did had a good experience with United from Newark to
Heathrow a few months before 9/11. I very much liked the B777, as it
has seat back video. Also the plane was not very full and because of
that I think we got put in E+ even though we ended up with a cheap
ticket, as part of a package deal.

If I can get enough time off I would like to spend the night coming
and going in either LAX or SFO, but I think I can only 8 or 9 days off
from work, so this may put a winkle in this plan. If I can't do this
please tell how much time I should allow for a connection from Delta
to an international flight at one of the above listed flights, as well
for a return flight back. Would I need to claim by bags and then
recheck them or can I check them all the way from CPR to SYD and then
the reverse. Really only concerned about the flight going, as I can
always call work and tell them I was bumped from my Delta flight to SLC
(I am sure they would not know anything different), but would hate to
miss my flight to SYD.

M.M.
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

wrote in message
[...]

QANTAS and United are currently the only two carriers operating Nonstop to
Australia; V Australia (an affiliate of Virgin Blue) doesn't start service
til the end of February/ beginning of March. And Delta doesn't start
service til this summer. American doesn't fly to Australia; their flights
are simply code shares on Qantas (BTW, note the spelling). Air New Zealand
offers service to Sydney/Melbourne and other Australian services via
Auckland, Air Pacific (Fiji) operates via Nandi, and you have a couple
options via Honolulu on Hawaiian Airlines or any of a number of carriers
connecting to Qantas' JetStar subsidiary - a low fare/low cost carrier.

I'd allow at least two hours to connect on an international flight at LAX;
Delta to Delta would be in the same terminal; as would United. Qantas has
some flights out of the American airlines terminal, but not all.

Qantas' 747's and A380's will be more comfortable in economy class than
United's 747's (which don't have seatback video), but if you can get
United's E+, you'll have decent legroom.

Old January 27th, 2009, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Jan 26, 5:22*pm, "Jeff Hacker" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Thanks I may look at going on Delta this summer. Sounds like the best
bet for making a connection.

M. M.
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Jan 25, 2:41*pm, wrote:
[...]

I was looking to see what my flight options with Delta would be this
coming summer and it seems, as thought I would need to connection in
SLC and LAX. That is okay, but when looking at the flight information
from LAX to SYD I also get the following message. "Delta 17 Boeing 777
subject to government approval" What does message mean? It sounds like
they need to get government approval in order to sell a ticket for
this flight.

M.M.
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old January 29th, 2009, 02:03 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Jan 27, 10:54*pm, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote:

wrote:

I was looking to see what my flight options with Delta would be this
coming summer and it seems, as thought I would need to connection in
SLC and LAX. That is okay, but when looking at the flight information
from LAX to SYD I also get the following message. "Delta 17 Boeing 777
subject to government approval" What does message mean? It sounds like
they need to get government approval in order to sell a ticket for
this flight.

M.M.

* * * * IIRC, DAL hasn't secured the approvals to fly that route yet.
The flight may be available on their site, but that doesn't mean that
they have approval from the various governments to fly that route.. So
the flight for that route is subject to approval. If they don't get it,
they can't fly it.

Now I guess I be finding out if they will put on another airlines'
flight if they don't get approval.

M.M.
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old January 30th, 2009, 01:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

In this case, "government approval" is administrative only. There is an
open skies treaty in effect between the U.S. and Australia which allows any
airline from either country to fly to the other. Delta will be approved by
the Aussies just as V Australia is/has been approved by the U.S.