So I'm thinking about using a travel agent.

Old May 20th, 2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PTravel[_1_]

Default So I'm thinking about using a travel agent.

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 16, 6:13 pm, Dan wrote:
So I'm thinking about using a travel agent. Can you answer a few
questions for me?

What are the advantages to using an agent?
Isn't it cheaper to book everything yourself?
What should I look for in an agent?

Thanks
Dan

It's best to always compare first. On most occasions you do get a
better deal through a travel agent

Sorry, but that's not correct. Unless you're talking about a consolidator,
travel agents have access to exactly the same inventory as passengers.
Airlines don't pay commission anymore, so you'll have to pay for the ticket
PLUS an agency fee.

Moreover, someone who is a bargain shopper and cares only about the getting
lowest fare probably doesn't need the services of a travel agent.

but it never hurts to check fares
directly with airlines to be sure you get the best rates.

http://jdipietro.globaltravel.com

Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
doggydog-usa

On May 20, 12:50 pm, "PTravel" wrote:
wrote in message

Sorry, but that's not correct. Unless you're talking about a consolidator,
travel agents have access to exactly the same inventory as passengers.
Airlines don't pay commission anymore, so you'll have to pay for the ticket
PLUS an agency fee.

I always compare what my TA quotes me with buying from the airline
direct. In most cases the airline is much higher. I've gotten quotes
from different TAs for a flight $400 and was $630 for the exact flight
if I were to book directly with the airline. I've heard that the
airlines allow TAs to book a certain amount of seats at a more
discounted price and the airlines will sell the rest at much higher
rates.

It's always good to compare yes and when you do you will see that many
times you can pay much less through a TA