Trip to Grand Canyon

Old January 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
zxcvar[_2_]

Default Trip to Grand Canyon

Greetings to you all.

I am thinking of going to the Grand Canyon in the month of July with
the family. I have bought a book called Reader’s Digest See the USA
the easy way. In that book it gives two suggestions of visiting
different places by car.

The trip to the Grand Canyon in page 282 of this book, starts in
Flagstaff, Arizona. The book then suggests to go to the SOUTH RIM
NATIONAL PARK, then to the NORTH RIM GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, and
then to go to PAGE. Then to go to the NAVAJO NATIONAL MONUMENT, then
to MONUMENT VALLEY NAVAJO TRIBAL PARK. Next it goes to Canyon DE
CHELLY NATIONAL MONUMENT, and then to the PETRIFIED FOREST NATIONAL
PARK and then back to Flagstaff.

How Long do you think this trip would take, and are there any hotels
on this route?

With thanks for your help.

Old January 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Jan 5, 9:36*am, zxcvar wrote:
Greetings to you all.

I am thinking of going to the Grand Canyon *in the month of July with
the family. *I have bought a book called Reader’s Digest See the USA
the easy way. In that book it gives two suggestions of *visiting
different places by car.

The trip to the Grand Canyon in page 282 of this book, starts in
Flagstaff, Arizona. The book then suggests to go to the SOUTH RIM
NATIONAL PARK, then to the NORTH RIM GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, and
then to go to PAGE. Then to go to the NAVAJO NATIONAL MONUMENT, then
to MONUMENT VALLEY NAVAJO TRIBAL PARK. Next it goes to Canyon DE
CHELLY NATIONAL MONUMENT, and then to the PETRIFIED FOREST NATIONAL
PARK and then back to Flagstaff.

How Long do you think this trip would take, and are there any hotels
on this route?

*With thanks for your help.

This trip can take about 1 week. Yes there are hotels and motels
along this route.
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:45:14 -0800 (PST), PeterL
wrote:

On Jan 5, 9:36*am, zxcvar wrote:
[...]

To do Canyon de Chelly right you need one full day there and take
the all day tour. Make your reservation the day before. Day tour
includes vbag lunch up at the White House ruins.

Petrified Forest only requires about an hour or so.

If you, or someone in your party is age 62 or over, have them get
the $10 Senior Pass, good at all National Parks and lots of other
places, and good for life. Covers everyone in your party, too.

If not eligible for the senior pass, even the $80 annual pass
might be worth it, especially since you're making two entrances
into Grand Canyon.

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

Old January 6th, 2009, 02:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"zxcvar" wrote in message
Greetings to you all.

I am thinking of going to the Grand Canyon in the month of July with
the family. I have bought a book called Reader’s Digest See the USA
the easy way. In that book it gives two suggestions of visiting
different places by car.

The trip to the Grand Canyon in page 282 of this book, starts in
Flagstaff, Arizona. The book then suggests to go to the SOUTH RIM
NATIONAL PARK, then to the NORTH RIM GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, and
then to go to PAGE. Then to go to the NAVAJO NATIONAL MONUMENT, then
to MONUMENT VALLEY NAVAJO TRIBAL PARK. Next it goes to Canyon DE
CHELLY NATIONAL MONUMENT, and then to the PETRIFIED FOREST NATIONAL
PARK and then back to Flagstaff.

How Long do you think this trip would take, and are there any hotels
on this route?

With thanks for your help.

That's a big loop and a lot of driving, but have at it. There are hotels
most places, though the North Rim is not well served. When in Page, do take
a boat tour of Lake Powell while there is still water in it. It's really
beautiful. Tours leave from the marina and last about 3 hrs. I'm sure you
can find prices and times on the Internet.

A few suggestions, and take them as you may:

I think you'll find much better airfares and rental car rates if you fly
into Las Vegas and go out from there. It's a bit longer, but you should be
able to save a lot, as Flagstaff is poorly served, and Las Vegas is
overserved by all the major airlines. Las Vegas also has great competition
in the car rental business, and you can find really low rates.

Next, consider heading north instead of west from page, and see some of
southern Utah. You won't be far from Bryce Canyon NP, which is fantastic
for both scenery and the trail system. I recommend a horseback (or
muleback) ride. Just a few miles on, there is Kodachrome State park; it's
totally different from Bryce, but also has some very nice (and easy) trails.

If you turn back to the west from Bryce, you'll soon be in Zion NP, which is
no less stunning, only in a different way. Zion offers some simple trails,
but also some very challenging ones. In Zion you're at the bottom of the
canyons looking up, and it's the other way around at Bryce, where the
amazing views are from the rim. Their horse trails are terrific, too. From
Zion, it's just three hours back to Las Vegas.

I only mention this because, while Monument Vally is impressive in places,
it's basically mesas that you drive past, and it's a long way out to Mexican
Hat. If you were already going that way, then Canyon de Chelly and
Petrified Forest are good stops, but in my opinion aren't worth all the
hours behind the wheel when they could be spent in the splendor of southern
Utah.

If you do this, I'd recommend a night and a day at the South Rim, unless
you're going to the bottom. Add a night and a day for that. North Rim is
almost a photo stop, unless you're climbing. It's pretty, and the light can
be better for pictures, but it's the same canyon you saw the day before. If
you get to Page early enough, take the boat ride and spend the night, then
decide where you're going next. If you go through Momument Valley, you have
little choice other than the motels on the reservation, and they can be $$$.
If you choose the other direction, Bryce can be pricey too, but you can make
up some of it with cheap meals at local places. Ask any cowboy. At Zion,
you can stay 20 minutes away in Hurricane, where most of the low-cost chains
are represented. In Zion proper, things can get pricey, too.

Whatever you decide, I don't think you can spend enough time in that part of
the country. You'll go back.

Keith

Old January 6th, 2009, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MLD

Lots of good advice. We went from Sedona to the Grand Canyon to Page to
Bryce and then to Zion. Did stay in Hurricane. We also went to from there
to (one night in Flagstaff) Tucson and did the Sonora Desert Museum which
was well worth the trip. We spent two weeks traveling around Arizona, got
the $10 Park pass in Sedona and saved quite a bit of $$$.
MLD
"K" wrote in message

"zxcvar" wrote in message
[...]

From Zion, it's just three hours back to Las Vegas.