Advice?

Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Default Advice?

My wife and I have just booked our first cruise ever, 14 days
Sydney-Auckland embarking on 18 November 09. We will have whatever is
left of the 18th after a flight from the US and the 19th until 1800 to
see Sydney. Then to Eden, AUS for ten hours, on to Hobart, a couple of
days at sea then seven ports in NZ, culminating in Auckland on 02 Dec.
This is our "56th wedding anniversary and what the hell are we saving it
for?" adventure.

Does anyone who has made a similar cruise have any suggestions on what
to skip or not to miss at various ports? There are several excursions
listed for each port and at this time we don't have the first clue about
what is good and what is a waste of time. We will, however, learn;
hopefully starting here.

Unlimited shore excursions are included free in our cruise package with
Regents but I figure that one per port is most likely all that we can
squeeze in if we want to get a little time to wander around and catch
some local sights and sounds. Is that a reasonable assumption given 10
hours in each port save one? We are both well into our 70's and
reasonably mobile, no walkers or canes, but do like our rest periods.
We're not mountain climbers, however.

Any suggestions on excursions, what to take or not take, whatever will
be most welcome.

Old April 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake (Kenn Smith):

My wife and I have just booked our first cruise ever, 14 days
Sydney-Auckland embarking on 18 November 09. We will have whatever is
left of the 18th after a flight from the US and the 19th until 1800 to
see Sydney. Then to Eden, AUS for ten hours, on to Hobart, a couple of
days at sea then seven ports in NZ, culminating in Auckland on 02 Dec.
This is our "56th wedding anniversary and what the hell are we saving it
for?" adventure.

What time do you get in on the 18th? My wife was pretty much shot by
about 1 pm after arriving at 7:30 am. Fortunately for her and her
traveling companions, I had arrived the night before so they had a
place to shower and change.

What is on your absolute MUST SEE list? 30 hours is way too short to
even begin. We spent about 8 hours at the zoo and could go again. Her
two co-workers took in some sights and went to the Opera House. We did
some shopping in The Rocks.

Sydney has an excellent public transportation system. Just remember
to look right before crossing the road. One of the bus drivers said
that their busses usually kill one Yank a month. That's just the
busses.

When we were there they had a hop-on-&-off pass that was good for 24
hours. Not good for the monorail, but that's only $1AUS.

I don't know exactly where you live, but the BoA in Oak Hill does
currency exchange. It's 3% + $5 (no $5 if you're a BoA account
holder). Very good exchange rate. You'll need money for the taxi to
your hotel. You should probably call your hotel and see what they
will charge you for early check-in. Most of the hotels have the usual
out by 10, in after 2.

Does anyone who has made a similar cruise have any suggestions on what
to skip or not to miss at various ports? There are several excursions
listed for each port and at this time we don't have the first clue about
what is good and what is a waste of time. We will, however, learn;
hopefully starting here.

Unlimited shore excursions are included free in our cruise package with
Regents but I figure that one per port is most likely all that we can
squeeze in if we want to get a little time to wander around and catch
some local sights and sounds. Is that a reasonable assumption given 10
hours in each port save one? We are both well into our 70's and
reasonably mobile, no walkers or canes, but do like our rest periods.
We're not mountain climbers, however.

Ten hours per port pretty much precludes more than one excursion.

Not mountain climbers? Then you can scratch the Sydney Harbour Bridge
(aka ANZ Memorial Bridge) off your MUST DO list.

--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th. US income taxes
are due on April 15th. Coincidence? I think not.

Old April 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Thank you, Dillon.

We don't yet have our airline schedule but a bit of online browsing
tells me that almost all LAX originating flights arrive SYD in the
general neighborhood of 7:00 AM so that's what we are anticipating. If
we arrive on the 18th we'll go straight to the ship, any day(s) earlier
and we will stay at The Observatory.

We live in Copperas Cove, about 80 miles north of you. There is a BoA
here so I'll check them out. I was thinking of getting some AU money at
LAX but airport exchages are generally some of the least favorable rates
around. Right now both the AU and NZ exchange rates look very good,
something like 1.45:1 for AU and 1.7:1 for NZ.

Old April 25th, 2009, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 4/25/2009 9:13 AM Kenn Smith "tweaked" on too much Starbucks said:
Thank you, Dillon.

We don't yet have our airline schedule but a bit of online browsing
tells me that almost all LAX originating flights arrive SYD in the
general neighborhood of 7:00 AM so that's what we are anticipating. If
we arrive on the 18th we'll go straight to the ship, any day(s) earlier
and we will stay at The Observatory.

We live in Copperas Cove, about 80 miles north of you. There is a BoA
here so I'll check them out. I was thinking of getting some AU money at
LAX but airport exchages are generally some of the least favorable rates
around. Right now both the AU and NZ exchange rates look very good,
something like 1.45:1 for AU and 1.7:1 for NZ.

From what I understand it's almost an 25 + hour flight from LAX to
SYD. You will be frazzled if you opt to go directly from the airport
to the ship. Do you really want to spend the first day on the ship
totally nakkered (exhausted)? Also, there is not much wiggle room, if
something comes up. Make plans to arrive the day before, so you can get
some R&R before you cruise. Don't forget you will be crossing the
international date line, which can add to the confusion and jet lag. If
I figure things correctly, you will arrive 2 days after your departure
date. So if you want to arrive on the 18th you need to depart at 7:00 am
or earlier on the 16th. If you want to arrive on the 17th so you have
time to get over jet lag, you will need to depart at 7:00 am or earlier
on the 15th. The lowest fare excluding taxes is $762.00 USD departing on
Expedia. I didn't check the return because I couldn't figure out flight
times and arrival date/time. I'd opt to depart LAX on the 15th.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Brian, according to Delta's and Quantas' schedules the actual air time
LAX-SYD is right at 15 hours - still a long time in an aluminum tube.
Air New Zealand is longer because they go LAX to Auckland then on to
Sydney. Yes, we will be tired puppies when we get to SYD. And you're
correct about the two days - leave LAX late Saturday night and arrive
Sydney about 8:00 Monday morning.

Regents is booking our flights and we most likely will not see our
schedule until about mid-August, their website says about 90 days in
advance of the cruise for flight schedules, 120 days for booking
excursions. We have selected our excursions and I'll try to lock them
up the day the cruise is open for booking them, probably mid-July.

Old April 26th, 2009, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Brian K :

On 4/25/2009 9:13 AM Kenn Smith "tweaked" on too much Starbucks said:
Thank you, Dillon.

We don't yet have our airline schedule but a bit of online browsing
tells me that almost all LAX originating flights arrive SYD in the
general neighborhood of 7:00 AM so that's what we are anticipating. If
we arrive on the 18th we'll go straight to the ship, any day(s) earlier
and we will stay at The Observatory.

We live in Copperas Cove, about 80 miles north of you. There is a BoA
here so I'll check them out. I was thinking of getting some AU money at
LAX but airport exchages are generally some of the least favorable rates
around. Right now both the AU and NZ exchange rates look very good,
something like 1.45:1 for AU and 1.7:1 for NZ.

From what I understand it's almost an 25 + hour flight from LAX to

Nope, right at 14 hours.

SYD. You will be frazzled if you opt to go directly from the airport
to the ship. Do you really want to spend the first day on the ship
totally nakkered (exhausted)?

Amen to that.

Also, there is not much wiggle room, if
something comes up.

Qantas has an excellent on time record, especially on its LAX-SYD
routes.

Make plans to arrive the day before, so you can get
some R&R before you cruise. Don't forget you will be crossing the
international date line, which can add to the confusion and jet lag. If
I figure things correctly, you will arrive 2 days after your departure

He knows his departure date (the 18th) and worked back from there. I
think it's a 5 pm departure out of LAX on the 16th, which means the
noonish AUS to LAX flight (gets in a 1pm).

17 hour time differenc, 14 hour flight. So he arrives "31 hours after
he left".

date. So if you want to arrive on the 18th you need to depart at 7:00 am
or earlier on the 16th. If you want to arrive on the 17th so you have
time to get over jet lag, you will need to depart at 7:00 am or earlier
on the 15th. The lowest fare excluding taxes is $762.00 USD departing on
Expedia. I didn't check the return because I couldn't figure out flight
times and arrival date/time. I'd opt to depart LAX on the 15th.

Yeah, that would get him in the morning of the 17th, which we both
agree is the minimum to survive the trip.

Old April 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 4/26/2009 5:12 PM Dillon Pyron "tweaked" on too much Starbucks said:
[Default] Thus spake Brian K :

On 4/25/2009 9:13 AM Kenn Smith "tweaked" on too much Starbucks said:

Thank you, Dillon.

We don't yet have our airline schedule but a bit of online browsing
tells me that almost all LAX originating flights arrive SYD in the
general neighborhood of 7:00 AM so that's what we are anticipating. If
we arrive on the 18th we'll go straight to the ship, any day(s) earlier
and we will stay at The Observatory.

We live in Copperas Cove, about 80 miles north of you. There is a BoA
here so I'll check them out. I was thinking of getting some AU money at
LAX but airport exchages are generally some of the least favorable rates
around. Right now both the AU and NZ exchange rates look very good,
something like 1.45:1 for AU and 1.7:1 for NZ.

From what I understand it's almost an 25 + hour flight from LAX to

Nope, right at 14 hours.

[...]

Dylan you are right about the flight time. The international date line,
plus Expedia's arrival time calculator threw me off. Even though the
actual flight time may be 14 to 18 hours, it still takes 2 days to get
to SYD. Considering the date line, on the return would he arrive two
days before he left? Or does it work that way?

--
________
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Tentative schedule has us out of AUS to DFW on AA 2:10 PM Nov 14th. AA
to LAX arriving about 6:00 PM, board QA 12 for a 10:40 PM departure, arr
SYD 8:15AM Nov 16th. That gives us two nights in The Observatory before
boarding the SS Mariner. That should work. The price at the
Observatory, even with Virtuoso.com deals, is enough to stand your hair
up but, what the hell, we only live once and I don't think we have ever
stayed in a 5 star hotel. I like the amenities - we will be met at the
airport by a BMW touring car and delivered to the pier by same. I can
live with that.

Old April 28th, 2009, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 4/27/2009 7:56 PM Kenn Smith "tweaked" on too much Starbucks said:
Tentative schedule has us out of AUS to DFW on AA 2:10 PM Nov 14th. AA
to LAX arriving about 6:00 PM, board QA 12 for a 10:40 PM departure, arr
SYD 8:15AM Nov 16th. That gives us two nights in The Observatory before
boarding the SS Mariner. That should work. The price at the
Observatory, even with Virtuoso.com deals, is enough to stand your hair
up but, what the hell, we only live once and I don't think we have ever
stayed in a 5 star hotel. I like the amenities - we will be met at the
airport by a BMW touring car and delivered to the pier by same. I can
live with that.

That sounds very nice indeed. When you get back home, kindly post a
trip report. Is the hotel really a former observatory? Or is it a
working observatory where you get pampered while being shown the
celestial bodies - uh by the pool Later on you get to look at the stars
and planets? Do post a link for The Observatory, so those of us who
can't afford to go can turn the appropriate shade of green as a hedge
against sunburn at the nude beach in Sandy Hook NJ?

--
________
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Brian K :

On 4/26/2009 5:12 PM Dillon Pyron "tweaked" on too much Starbucks said:
[Default] Thus spake Brian K :

On 4/25/2009 9:13 AM Kenn Smith "tweaked" on too much Starbucks said:

Thank you, Dillon.

We don't yet have our airline schedule but a bit of online browsing
tells me that almost all LAX originating flights arrive SYD in the
general neighborhood of 7:00 AM so that's what we are anticipating. If
we arrive on the 18th we'll go straight to the ship, any day(s) earlier
and we will stay at The Observatory.

We live in Copperas Cove, about 80 miles north of you. There is a BoA
here so I'll check them out. I was thinking of getting some AU money at
LAX but airport exchages are generally some of the least favorable rates
around. Right now both the AU and NZ exchange rates look very good,
something like 1.45:1 for AU and 1.7:1 for NZ.

From what I understand it's almost an 25 + hour flight from LAX to

Nope, right at 14 hours.

[...]

I left Sydney at 9:30 am on Monday and arrived in LAX at about 1 pm on
Monday. Hosed. Lady sitting next to me was trying to cough up a
lung. Three days later my doctor stuck a foot long cotton swab up my
nose and said (ten minutes later) "you have the flu".