Advice?

Old April 29th, 2009, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Default Advice?

According to the schedule our TA sent me we leave Auckland midday Dec
2nd and arrive Austin late afternoon Dec 2nd. Time warp, anyone?

Old April 29th, 2009, 06:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Patrick Eagan

Kenn Smith wrote:
According to the schedule our TA sent me we leave Auckland midday Dec
2nd and arrive Austin late afternoon Dec 2nd. Time warp, anyone?

Crossing the International Date Line from west to east one gains
another day - in this case another Dec 2. Going eats to west one loses
a day.

Padraic
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Patrick, as the cartoon character Senator Leghorn said, "It was a joke,
son,a joke!" As a young sailor I crossed the dateline more times than I
can remember sailing between the west coast and Japan on troop
transports, four or five times a year for four years.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Kenn Smith" wrote in message
Tentative schedule has us out of AUS to DFW on AA 2:10 PM Nov 14th. AA
to LAX arriving about 6:00 PM, board QA 12 for a 10:40 PM departure, arr
SYD 8:15AM Nov 16th. That gives us two nights in The Observatory before
boarding the SS Mariner. That should work. The price at the
Observatory, even with Virtuoso.com deals, is enough to stand your hair
up but, what the hell, we only live once and I don't think we have ever
stayed in a 5 star hotel. I like the amenities - we will be met at the
airport by a BMW touring car and delivered to the pier by same. I can
live with that.

Hi Kenn,

I checked on your behalf with some good friends who own some five star
hotels in Australia, none in Sydney, and they speak highly of the
Observatory as one of the best in Sydney. Although you will pay for it, it
seems that you will receive luxury which is your intent. I enjoyed lamb
cutlets for breakfast in Sydney and recommend them. Plan to go to bed very
early your first night, 6 or 7 PM. That cures jet lag for me.

We have some Aussies on the newsgroup, perhaps they have already advised
you. I'm just a satisfied frequent visitor with much yet to learn.

I envy you your trip but would try to go a couple of weeks earlier, or stay
later. Seems like more is never enough.

Enjoy the planning.

Harry Cooper

Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Thanks, Harry, a lamb cutlet doesn't sound like a bad breakfast choice
to me. I've checked out The Observatory web site and it does look
really nice. With some Virtuoso.com perks we're getting 2 nights for
the two of us for their rack rate for one night for a single. I'll take
that deal anytime.

We would like to go earlier and stay in Australia longer but we do have
some anchors here - like a cat to board for one thing. She's never been
boarded before and might be psychotic when we reclaim her; she's only
slightly goofy now.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Brian, per your request.

www.observatoryhotel.com.au

Old May 4th, 2009, 12:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Default Advice? More Advice

Does anyone have solid advice on gratuities in Australia and New
Zealand?
We are elderly middle class Americans and most certainly don't want to
appear to be the Ugly Americans in stiffing where a gratuity is
appropriate or offering one where it might be considered an insult or
inappropriate. I have traveled extensively in Europe and the Med but am
a virgin in this area. (How many 77 year old virgins have you met? And
to what end?)

I have six months to research this on line but I thought that someone
might have some sage advice. Damn, it's going to be a long six months,
I'm ready to go now!

Old May 4th, 2009, 03:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
PMM

Hi

"Kenn Smith" wrote in message
Does anyone have solid advice on gratuities in Australia and New
Zealand?
We are elderly middle class Americans and most certainly don't want to
appear to be the Ugly Americans in stiffing where a gratuity is
appropriate or offering one where it might be considered an insult or
inappropriate. I have traveled extensively in Europe and the Med but am
a virgin in this area. (How many 77 year old virgins have you met? And
to what end?)

I have six months to research this on line but I thought that someone
might have some sage advice. Damn, it's going to be a long six months,
I'm ready to go now!

Very little in Australia
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2...Etiquette.html

New Zealand

Old May 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Dillon, that's on crossing the Equator, not the dateline. And, yes,
I'm a shellback.