Advice?

Old May 4th, 2009, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

Default Advice? More Advice

"Kenn Smith" wrote in message
Does anyone have solid advice on gratuities in Australia and New
Zealand?
We are elderly middle class Americans and most certainly don't want to
appear to be the Ugly Americans in stiffing where a gratuity is
appropriate or offering one where it might be considered an insult or
inappropriate. I have traveled extensively in Europe and the Med but am
a virgin in this area. (How many 77 year old virgins have you met? And
to what end?)

I have six months to research this on line but I thought that someone
might have some sage advice. Damn, it's going to be a long six months,
I'm ready to go now!

Hi Kenn,

I'll see if I can find some info for you, but we generally tipped about half
US expectations. Employees have a much higher minimum wage and fringe
benefits like paid vacations, sick leave, medical coverage, pensions, more
like factory workers than waiters. I imagine some of the area residents can
pin it down for you. I doubt that over-tipping would be an insult, but they
will know you're an American. I'm checking out some Tasmanian sight seeing
ideas for you and will send them later.

If only the cruise seemed as long as the wait for the cruise.

Regards,

Harry Cooper

Old May 18th, 2009, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

Default Advice?

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 3 May 2009 11:20:15 -0500, (Kenn Smith)
wrote:

Thanks, Harry, a lamb cutlet doesn't sound like a bad breakfast choice
to me. I've checked out The Observatory web site and it does look
really nice. With some Virtuoso.com perks we're getting 2 nights for
the two of us for their rack rate for one night for a single. I'll take
that deal anytime.

Hi Kenn,

Although I have visited Sydney's various luxury hotels, I have not
stayed at the Observatory yet. I will be staying at this hotel next
week in Sydney with a Virtuoso Group. Please let me know if you have
any specific questions regarding the hotel that I can answer for you.
www.observatoryhotel.com.au

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
--

Hi Ray,

Perhaps you could check on a couple of things Kenn might enjoy at or near
the Observatory. There is a snack service, or high tea, called Devonshire
tea that I very much enjoyed once in Sydney. Is that available? Also, I
think the Rocks is close by. Is that accurate? They have some really
interesting shops. I just wanted to share some good memories if it fits his
schedule.

Thanks and have a great trip.

Harry Cooper

Old May 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Thanks to Harry and Ray and, Ray, I accept your generous offer; very
much appreciated.

As long as I'm posting I'll ask another question of you seasoned
cruisers. We are flying Austin-DFW-LAX on American and have about 4.5
hours before our Qantas flight launches. We arrive LAX in Terminal 4
and I have read that Qantas has a courtesy shuttle from Termian 4, Gate
44 to their location in the International Terminal - you don't go
outside of the security area so you don't have to go through security
again.

Using their shuttle would, of course, mean checking our luggage all the
way through to Sydney from Austin. Is this a good idea? A bad idea?
We'll have four days in Sydney before the Mariner casts off so I would
think that would give ample time for the baggage to catch up to us even
if we get separated from it.

All opinions gratefully accepted.

Old May 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Mon, 18 May 2009 17:57:09 -0500, "Seehorse Video"
wrote:

As I remember, Qantas has a rather nice first class lounge in LA and may
well include business class. I've only used Qantas once so I may be
miss-remembering.

Hi Harry,

You are not "miss-remembering". :+) The Qantas Club lounges are
located on the 5th floor after the North concourse security check
point which is next to the Qantas check-in counters. I enjoyed their
hospitality last year and hope to enjoy again next week.

Old May 18th, 2009, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Harry, I suspect that there will be far more things we will want to see
than can be done in a 10 hour port call :-) But, we would surely
welcome your suggestions. Our general plan of attack it to take a three
or four hour excursion in each port then have a few hours just to wander
around on our own. When I was teaching on Navy ships in the Med I did a
lot of wandering around on my own in various ports and never failed to
find something interesting and fun.

Old May 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Kenn Smith" wrote in message
[...]

I agree about checking through to Sydney. I've never gone from Austin, but
I have gone through LA and San Fran on several different airlines and my
bags always got there and home.

As I remember, Qantas has a rather nice first class lounge in LA and may
well include business class. I've only used Qantas once so I may be
miss-remembering.

Let me know if you want some ideas for your day in Tasmania. I don't know
what excursions are available but there are lots of things you might want to
see.

Happy planning,

Harry Cooper