BBC- Iceland volcano: Passengers face money worries

Old April 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default BBC- Iceland volcano: Passengers face money worries

I like this:

"Some UK banks are waiving fees for money withdrawn by passengers
stranded overseas by the volcanic ash cloud."

Well, that's nice of them, but maybe the consumer should choose bank
accounts which don't charge to begin with! (Not just Nationwide, I think
some others are now offering such accounts.)

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

I like this:

"Some UK banks are waiving fees for money withdrawn by passengers
stranded overseas by the volcanic ash cloud."

Well, that's nice of them, but maybe the consumer should choose bank
accounts which don't charge to begin with! (Not just Nationwide, I think
some others are now offering such accounts.)

I'd be prepared to bet none of them will be selling currency at cost.
They'll all charge a 'turn'.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

William Black wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

I like this:

"Some UK banks are waiving fees for money withdrawn by passengers
stranded overseas by the volcanic ash cloud."

Well, that's nice of them, but maybe the consumer should choose bank
accounts which don't charge to begin with! (Not just Nationwide, I think
some others are now offering such accounts.)

I'd be prepared to bet none of them will be selling currency at cost.
They'll all charge a 'turn'.

Now, what on earth would make you think the banks were that cynical?

Nationwide is pretty close (and doesn't charge a fee.)

Though I'm getting some odd results. A withdrawal of 300 Peruvian nuevo
soles on March 31 was charged £70.63. Oanda claims it should have been
£70.89 on that day if I'm making the right calculation (even more the
day before or after)- but it's a daily average.

Old April 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

William Black wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

I like this:

"Some UK banks are waiving fees for money withdrawn by passengers
stranded overseas by the volcanic ash cloud."

Well, that's nice of them, but maybe the consumer should choose bank
accounts which don't charge to begin with! (Not just Nationwide, I think
some others are now offering such accounts.)

I'd be prepared to bet none of them will be selling currency at cost.
They'll all charge a 'turn'.

Meant to add, this is what my (maybe not for much longer) main account
RBS does, even in addition to their outrageous fees. I'd only use them
if the other card doesn't work. Last time I did that, I paid about 6% on
£100. Robbery.

Old April 21st, 2010, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Pandy

"William Black" wrote in message
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

I like this:

"Some UK banks are waiving fees for money withdrawn by passengers
stranded overseas by the volcanic ash cloud."

Well, that's nice of them, but maybe the consumer should choose
bank
accounts which don't charge to begin with! (Not just Nationwide, I
think
some others are now offering such accounts.)

I'd be prepared to bet none of them will be selling currency at
cost. They'll all charge a 'turn'.

Nationwide have been doing that for years. In fact up till recently
they even subsidised foreign currency transactions (by absorbing the
VISA fee).

--
Andy

Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Mike Lane wrote:

[]
I opened an account with NationWide specifically to use when abroad. It's not
difficult and also quite convenient to keep expenditure separate.

Mike, do you have a full account with them? I only ever opened a simple
flex account (mostly because I liked the idea of having one card that
had no 'credit card' functionality abroad.) Nationwide are replacing
these simple accounts (not mine yet though) this year with cards which
won't work abroad. Time for me to get a full account...

For average consumers, I'd say that UK bank accounts function pretty
similarly now in terms of online banking, services etc.- it seems the
fees are what differ. Is that offbase? RBS has never been good value for
foreign transactions.

Compared to RBS charges, I'd roughly guess my recent fortnight long trip
abroad using the Nationwide card saved around £80, and that's on
withdrawing around £800. (Money goes far in Peru!)

I believe other banks are now offering similar perks- e.g. Santander.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_42_]

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:51:13 +0100, Mike Lane
wrote:

maybe many people don't use that sort of service normally and have
other reasons for choosing a bank.

I opened an account with NationWide specifically to use when abroad. It's not
difficult and also quite convenient to keep expenditure separate.

Yes, I considered doing the same, but many people trapped abroad
probably got cash before they started for what was to be an occasional
foray abroad.
--
Mike
Flying a couple London/New York just once equals
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (* wrote on Apr 22, 2010:

I opened an account with NationWide specifically to use when abroad. It's
not
difficult and also quite convenient to keep expenditure separate.

Mike, do you have a full account with them? I only ever opened a simple
flex account (mostly because I liked the idea of having one card that
had no 'credit card' functionality abroad.) Nationwide are replacing
these simple accounts (not mine yet though) this year with cards which
won't work abroad. Time for me to get a full account...

I think it's a full account. When I applied some years ago I just asked for a
Flex account, but they sent me a credit and debit card plus a cheque book.

Transactions are now mainly free of foreign exchange charges only within the
EU. Outside there is usually Visa charge.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire