Yosemite/National Parks Pass

Old August 30th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Patty Winter wrote:

In article ,
Frank F. Matthews wrote:

Actually any pass will probably slow subsequent entries. If you pay for
a 1 week entry you get a window form showing the final validity and that
is all that is checked. If you have a pass it is for a person (or
couple) and they must check that a valid person is present at each
entry. Usually using a driver's license. That will take longer.

Do they do that at the Grand Canyon? Because I've never encountered
it at Yosemite, and I've been using annual passes for years there.
(Sometimes Yosemite annual passes, sometimes National Parks Passes.)

I know they're *entitled* to ask for ID, but how often do they
actually do it? From what I've seen, they usually don't even flip
the pass over to check the expiration month, much less my signature. Patty

I didn't visit Yosemite but this summer they were consistent at
Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier. It was a real bother at
Glacier since most roads on the east side are outside the park so you
are constantly going back in.

Old August 30th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Roger B.

"Evelyn C. Leeper" wrote...
BTW, the pass is good for twelve months.

Passes are good thru December of the following year.
A pass purchased now is good thru 12/31/2005. [R]

Old August 30th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Roger B. wrote:
"Evelyn C. Leeper" wrote...
BTW, the pass is good for twelve months.

Passes are good thru December of the following year.
A pass purchased now is good thru 12/31/2005. [R]

Where did you see that? The official page for the National
Parks Pass:

https://buy.nationalparks.org/default.asp?ref=nps

says "Is valid for one full year from first use in a
National Park." That's why the passes have the months
listed on the back; so the month in which you first use
it can be punched.

BTW, one can actually get 13 months of use from a pass
if you time it right. E.g., I just bought a pass at REI.
I will probably be using it for the first time on Oct. 3,
which means it will be valid until Oct. 31, 2005--nearly
13 months.

Patty

Old August 30th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Roger B.

"Patty Winter" wrote...
Roger B. wrote:
Passes are good thru December of the following year.

Where did you see that? The official page for the National
Parks Pass: https://buy.nationalparks.org/default.asp?ref=nps
says "Is valid for one full year from first use in a
National Park." That's why the passes have the months
listed on the back; so the month in which you first use
it can be punched.

You are correct, sir. My bad. I must have been hallucinating,
again. Damn drugs... [R]

Old August 30th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
Actually any pass will probably slow subsequent entries. If you pay for
a 1 week entry you get a window form showing the final validity and that
is all that is checked. If you have a pass it is for a person (or
couple) and they must check that a valid person is present at each
entry. Usually using a driver's license. That will take longer.

That's happened to me exacly once in several years.
Mostly they just check the pass hasnt expired. Last year
they checked ID at Glacier NP and then only one entrance.

Keith

Old August 31st, 2004, 06:03 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Sorry but no. The pass we bought in the last few days of July this year
is marked as good thru June 2005. There is a little punch to show the
month it is good thru.

Old August 31st, 2004, 10:51 PM
Roger B.

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:
Sorry but no.

De ja vu, all over again. I already ate helping of crow on that. [R]

Old August 31st, 2004, 11:52 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Steven Scharf wrote:

Note that the NP pass can be purchsed at REI for $50, with a $10 REI
gift certificate included in the package, for a net cost of $40.

Yeah, I almost mentioned that to Xavier, but I didn't think he'd be
able to take advantage of it. I don't think there's time for him to
have one shipped overseas before he leaves for the U.S., and I wasn't
sure that he would be near an REI store before he hits his first
national park. Also, the discount coupon is only good for another
few weeks.

But yes, Xavier, if you're reading this, you might want to go over
to www.rei.com and check their store locator. (You actually get a
bonus park guide if you order online, but I don't see how you'd
have time to get a mail order now.)

Patty

Old September 1st, 2004, 01:34 AM
Frank F. Matthews

I think that you get the park guide anytime you buy the pass. However,
if you buy on-line, you will have the guide for your trip.