Seeing eye dogs on Princess...should I cancel?

Old September 3rd, 2004, 02:25 AM
Charles

In article , RTCReferee
wrote:

To say there is NO reason to cancel is reminds me too much of sayings like
"enough said!" or other things intended to cut off discussion, as if there is
no other reasonable choice that a person could or should make.

They asked a question and got some answers about whether they should
cancel. My summary from the replies would be there is no reason for
them to cancel unless they are allergic to dogs, or are afraid of dogs.
I guess also if they are bringing their own dog which does not get
along with other dogs might be a reason.

--
Charles
Old September 3rd, 2004, 04:05 AM
Jeff Coudriet

Duh, of course not, but their owners are....and aren't service animals a
reasonable accomodation to those passengers' disabilities?

Jeff

Sagittaria wrote:

Dogs are not a protected class under the ADA.

Old September 3rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Lee

"Danni" wrote in message ...
"Lee" wrote in message
om...
Soooo...first you're concerned with an ADA violation because Princess
revealed to passengers that there would be blind people with service
dogs on a particular cruise, and now you're bent out of shape because
HAL won't divulge the info to you? Am I getting this right? Is it that
you only want people with service animals to know about other people
with service animals? Far as I'm concerned, if it's an invasion of
privacy to tell a non-service animal passenger about the number of
service animals that will be on board, it's an invasion of privacy to
tell anyone, service animal or not.

Since our first experience in traveling where there was another service
animal resulted in that dog growling at mine, sure, why shouldn't I ask if
there is another dog on board? I'm talking to the department where they
would have that information. For the sole purpose of knowing what I and my
dog can expect.

Should you be able to call that department and ask if there are dogs on
board? No. That is a violation of the ADA.

Okay. Let me see if I have it straight, now. People travelling with
service dogs should have the privilege of knowing about other service
dogs on board but people travelling without service dogs shouldn't
have that same privilege, even if it's possible that their entire
vacation could be negatively affected either by severe allergies
(leading to possible life-threatening asthma attacks) or fear causing
them to avoid public areas where the dogs may be? Why is it okay for
people with handicaps to invade the privacy of other people with
handicaps, yet it's not okay for people without handicaps to do the
same? I'm just not getting it, I guess. I'm not intimately familiar
with the ADA, but I understood it to mean that it gave Americans with
disabilities EQUAL access. What you're describing isn't equal.

Personally, I love dogs...have three big babies of my own. The more
dogs on board the merrier, far as I'm concerned. Wish I could bring
one of mine. But, I know too many people that can't even come into my
house if they want to continue breathing. Can you imagine starting a
cruise vacation only to find out that breathing might become an issue,
if you leave the safety of your cabin?

My problem with this whole thing is that Princess has set a precedent. 11
blind people with guide dogs. Is that where it ends? If it's only 6
blind/handicapped people with guide/service dogs, will they not notify other
passengers? If it's one blind guy with a dog, will they only notify the
passengers on the same deck?

See where this can lead?

I don't think we know what the cut-off is for Princess to deem it
necessary to alert their guests of the presence of so many dogs.
Maybe, on a previous cruise with so many dogs, they had a medical
emergency as a result of the presence of dogs, and they have to cover
their butts or something, to try to prevent future mishaps. Who knows?
And besides, are foreign-flagged ships even required to follow ADA
guidelines? I really don't know.

I know Heid is vitally important to you, but don't forget what impact
she, and other service dogs, have on others. ADA protects your rights,
but how about the rights of others?

Lee

Old September 3rd, 2004, 10:43 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Lee, I understand your concern.

We live in a high-rise. It isn't exactly "eldercare" but there are a lot of
people here that are older than I am. The three of us stand a better chance
of being sickened by perfume glot in an elevator than anyone becoming ill
from Heidi's presence.

Most service animals are, by nature, Alpha. They live in their world of
importance. They are special.

Personally I would be more concerned with the 11 dogs on Princess getting
along than I would their interaction with the other passengers.

In San Francisco in 2001 Heidi barked at Idaho at the hotel and he barked
back. Once on the ship they became friends. Sadly, the people with Ross
seemed offended that he wasn't the sole center of the universe, and we
attempted to avoid them as much as possible.

Yes, Lee, we would like to know whether there will be any other animals on
our upcoming cruise, if only to diffuse any possible contention.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ
ojunk

Old September 4th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Tom & Linda

"RTCReferee" wrote in message

I'd like to see the quality go back to what it was 5-8 years
ago, and I'd be happy to pay 20-50% more.

Crystal.

--Tom

Old September 5th, 2004, 01:36 AM
RTCReferee

Tom K wrote:

"RTCReferee" wrote in message

I'd like to see the quality go back to what it was 5-8 years
ago, and I'd be happy to pay 20-50% more.

Crystal.

--Tom

Where have you seen a good cabin that you can select ahead of time (and at
least OV, higher than promenade deck) on Crystal go for around
$ 165 per day per person not in the Caribbean?

The most we've paid each on our last three cruises (Star Princess, HAL Veendam
and Celebrity Mercury) for those accomodations was $ 115 each per day. Two of
those three cruises were in balcony cabins.