Men will have their laptops.

Old June 8th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Brian

Default Men will have their laptops.

I'm moving from NY to HI next month, and have a question about baggage.

I understand that the airline allows me to check two suitcases or a maximum
size and allows me one carry-on. My question is regarding the 'personal
item' not counted as a carry-on. In the examples of an extra personal item,
a laptop and briefcase are given (such as how a woman's purse isn't counted
as a carry-on).

I am taking a laptop with me. Do airlines mean just a laptop, nothing else,
or would a laptop in a carrying case ( pretty much briefcase size) be
counted as the personal item?

Bottom line... I will have a bookbag for a carry-on, and my laptop in the
laptop carry case. Will I get hassled at the airport for having both, or
will the laptop in case pass as my 'personal item'?

Old June 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM
PTRAVEL

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

That should be fine. When I fly, I bring a rollaboard and a TUMI carryon.
The latter holds my laptop, power supplly, electronics, magazines,
medications, etc.

Note, however, that if your flight is full, you may be required to gate
check one of your items.

Old June 8th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Brian

The plane is filling up, it's a 757 and theres only a dozen seats open on
it. What do you mean by 'gate check'? Could they tell me at the gate that I
can't take both my carry-on and laptop/briefcase? No way in he** I would
check my laptop and put it up for grabs for anyone at the baggage claim. Is
this a frequent or rare occurance to gate check?

Old June 10th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Brian" wrote:

I'm moving from NY to HI next month, and have a question about baggage.

I understand that the airline allows me to check two suitcases or a maximum
size and allows me one carry-on. My question is regarding the 'personal
item' not counted as a carry-on. In the examples of an extra personal item,
a laptop and briefcase are given (such as how a woman's purse isn't counted
as a carry-on).

I am taking a laptop with me. Do airlines mean just a laptop, nothing else,
or would a laptop in a carrying case ( pretty much briefcase size) be
counted as the personal item?

Bottom line... I will have a bookbag for a carry-on, and my laptop in the
laptop carry case. Will I get hassled at the airport for having both, or
will the laptop in case pass as my 'personal item'?

This should not be a problem at all. I routinely carry a camera bag with
expensive equipment in it and a small backpack with my laptop on board.
Never have I had a problem. Of course, the best source of information on
what's allowed or not allowed on board your flight is your airline so it
can't hurt to call the airline to verify this.
Old June 10th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Brian" wrote:

The plane is filling up, it's a 757 and theres only a dozen seats open on
it. What do you mean by 'gate check'? Could they tell me at the gate that I
can't take both my carry-on and laptop/briefcase? No way in he** I would
check my laptop and put it up for grabs for anyone at the baggage claim. Is
this a frequent or rare occurance to gate check?

If the cabin's storage areas are full, those who board last and/or who
have bulky carry-on items will be asked to check the items. This is
referred as gate-check because the luggage is checked at the gate.
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Freddy Krueger

"Brian" wrote in message ...
I'm moving from NY to HI next month, and have a question about baggage.

I understand that the airline allows me to check two suitcases or a maximum
size and allows me one carry-on. My question is regarding the 'personal
item' not counted as a carry-on. In the examples of an extra personal item,
a laptop and briefcase are given (such as how a woman's purse isn't counted
as a carry-on).

I am taking a laptop with me. Do airlines mean just a laptop, nothing else,
or would a laptop in a carrying case ( pretty much briefcase size) be
counted as the personal item?

Bottom line... I will have a bookbag for a carry-on, and my laptop in the
laptop carry case. Will I get hassled at the airport for having both, or
will the laptop in case pass as my 'personal item'?

I dont know about that, but do make sure you have the proper papers for
emigration to Hawaii. Is your passport up to date? You will need to have a
valid passport for travel to Hawaii. Do you have the proper visa to live in
Hawaii?
Hawaii is a parliamentary federal republic of 8 islands, located about 2400
miles southwest of the United States. It is a former state of Australia that
gained independence in 1958. Hawaii is a a member of the British Commonwealth.