Need hotel recommendations for Palau, Yap, Ponhpe, Kosrae, Majuro,Guam, Rota

Old September 12th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Cyril & Sandy Alberga

Default Need hotel recommendations for Palau, Yap, Ponhpe, Kosrae, Majuro,Guam, Rota

Cross posting, as I don't know which group is best for this.

We will be visiting the above island February and early March, 2005.
Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels? Mid to mid-upper range.

Thanks for any information.
Cyril N. Alberga
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:35 AM
H. David Pembrook

We will be visiting the above island February and early March, 2005.
Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels?

You're going to each of these places? What on Earth for?

The last time I was out to each of these garden spots was 1989. I went to
train the local Civil Defense officials in plotting and analyzing typhoon
warnings then determining the local threat. Back then I had little or no
choice about where I stayed. There just wasn't much in the way of a choice.
My guess is that things haven't changed much.

Back then service to Kosrae was irregular. Air Mike added it as an additional
stop to the island hopper about once a week.

I hope you're prepared to spend a fortune.

~~~~~
"When a true genius appears in the world,
you may know him by this sign, that the dunces
are all in confederacy against him."

- Jonathan Swift
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Cyril & Sandy Alberga

H. David Pembrook wrote:

We will be visiting the above island February and early March, 2005.
Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels?

You're going to each of these places? What on Earth for?

The last time I was out to each of these garden spots was 1989. I

went to
train the local Civil Defense officials in plotting and analyzing typhoon
warnings then determining the local threat. Back then I had little or no
choice about where I stayed. There just wasn't much in the way of a

choice.
My guess is that things haven't changed much.

Back then service to Kosrae was irregular. Air Mike added it as an

additional
stop to the island hopper about once a week.

I hope you're prepared to spend a fortune.

As to why, a number of reasons. We are bird watchers, and each of the
islands has at least one, often more, endemic species. Then, my father
was stationed on Guam during WWII, and I would very much like to see the
place. Rota, for the birds and from the descriptions in Oliver Sack's
book "The Island of the Colorblind" (which also pertains to Ponhpei).
We also rather enjoy out-of-the-way places, preferably with not too many
other tourists.

Some of the islands have quite a number of hotels now (assuming Yap has
rebuilt/reopened those hit last winter by the typhoon), the problem is
choosing them based on their on-line blurbs. Lonely Planet is a bit
out-of-date and Moon doesn't mention them all. We do have a contact
with someone who spent two years, each, on Kosrae and Pelau, but have
not gotten any information on the other islands.

Kosrae is now a regular stop on Air Mike, so that isn't a problem.

As to cost, it doesn't look that bad, based on listed prices, certainly
less than Japan, and we did find that outrageous this past May. We will
only be out in the islands for about five weeks, so it should be manageable.

But it would be nice to get some feedback on current hotels.

CNA
Old September 17th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Cyril & Sandy Alberga

Cyril & Sandy Alberga wrote:
snip

As to cost, it doesn't look that bad, based on listed prices, certainly

not
less than Japan, and we did find that outrageous this past May.

^
snip

CNA
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:24 PM
H. David Pembrook

http://www.guampdn.com/news/stories/...s/1276120.html

Now arriving on Guam

Palau Micronesia Air offers lower fares, competition for island travelersBy
Oyaol Ngirairikl

Pacific Daily News;

RATES

Palau Micronesia Air's round-trip air fares from Guam:

Chuuk: $348

Darwin, Australia: $499

Manila, Philippines: $499

Pohnpei: $449

Palau: $399

Yap: $299 ON THE NET

Palau Micronesia Air:
www.palau-air.com

For 40-year-old Renton Renton of Kosrae, it's the lower air fare that won him
over.

Renton was one of 35 passengers who flew on Palau Micronesia Airline's first
flight to Guam, which arrived early last night. Despite a 30-minute delay out
of Palau, many of the passengers on Flight PD140 were pleased with the airline.

Renton is an immigration officer with the Federated States of Micronesia flying
to Guam on business. Renton, who works in Yap, said that between his official
and personal trips, he flies several times a year through the various FSM
islands, Guam and Asia.

"The fare from Yap on (Palau Micronesia Air) is about $100 cheaper than
Continental," Renton said. "That's a lot of money where I come from."

Connie Pretrick, 37, of Pohnpei was returning home after spending a couple of
weeks in Manila for medical purposes.

"I'm glad we have this airline. I like the people, the flights were smooth,"
Pretrick said, adding that between the in-flight service and the affordable air
fare, she didn't mind the stopovers.

PD140 is an island hopper that originates in Palau, then connects through Yap,
Guam and Chuuk before terminating in Pohnpei. Airline officials said the island
hopper will operate twice a week. The airline also offers direct flights
between Palau and Guam twice a week.

Marilou Dimalanta, Palau Micronesia Air's manager of marketing, said one of the
airline's goals is to provide a more affordable airfare in the Micronesian
region "than existing fares."

"I think we've achieved one of the foremost goals as a regional airline, which
is to provide lower prices for Micronesia," Dimalanta said. "Not only will it
benefit us, the local people, but it helps the region as a whole be a more
competitive and marketable tourist destination in terms of global tourism."

Currently, the fledgling airline has one Boeing 737-300 aircraft with a
capacity of 126 passengers. Aside from its Micronesian island destinations, the
airline also offers flights to Manila and Darwin, Australia.

Palau Micronesia Air has signed an agreement with Auckland-based Airwork Flight
Operations to fly and maintain its planes. Started in 1936, Airwork is one of
New Zealand's oldest aviation companies. In addition to general aviation
services, Airwork operates charter flights under its brand name Skylink and has
a joint venture cargo operation with New Zealand Post.

The regional airline hopes to add a second plane in February, and plans to then
commence direct flights between Palau and Japan.

Renton and Pretrick said they hope the airline will be able to compete with
larger and deeper-pocketed Continental Micronesia, which has a long history
with the region.

"It's a good airline," Renton said, admitting his initial fear of flying a new
airline in the Micronesian islands with short runways that require "really
professional pilots" to land the plane in "just the right spot," in order for
the aircraft to stop before hitting the end of the runway right by the ocean.

"It was such a smooth flight and I felt so safe. Now I feel funny for being
scared in the first place," Renton said. "I loved the flight -- it was smooth
and the flight attendants were really attentive and really attractive."
~~~~~