Cirque du Soleil & Celebrity

Old December 11th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Jocelyn

Default Cirque du Soleil & Celebrity

We're booked on the June 4th sailing. Can't wait! This review is from
the theatre critic for the Toronto Star.

Jocelyn

Dec. 11, 2004. 01:00 AM

Cirque sets out to sea
Troupe provides entertainment for Celebrity Cruises

RICHARD OUZOUNIAN

SOMEWHERE IN THE CARIBBEAN—When you think about cruise-ship
entertainment, what comes to mind? A jaded social director teaching
you the Macarena? An over-coiffed lounge singer crooning "Mandy"? Or
maybe a chorus of eager young chorines sweating through a medley from
Cats?

Well banish those thoughts, because Celebrity Cruises has paired up
with Cirque du Soleil and the high seas will never be the same again.

I'm writing this from the middle of the Caribbean Sea aboard Celebrity
Line's Constellation, home to the first on-board entertainment
provided for the ship operator by Cirque du Soleil.

When the partnership was first announced last summer, people wondered
how Cirque was going to be able to put its large-scale high-tech magic
to work within the confines of a luxury liner. As one friend asked,
"What are they going to do, have a double-jointed contortionist
serving you sushi?"

Those naysayers had forgotten that Cirque began with a bunch of street
performers — fire-eaters and stilt-walkers. And the secret to its
success is that, no matter how big the organization has grown, those
roots are never far away.

That's why Cirque has been able to slide into this nautical setting
with relative ease. Although there are still a few kinks to be worked
out, it's safe to chalk this one up as another success for the gang
from Baie Saint-Paul.

During this inaugural cruise, there are three elements to the Cirque's
presence on the Constellation.

First, solo artists — gymnasts, jugglers, etc. — provide some of the
nightly entertainment in the luxurious Celebrity Theatre.

That's not always as easy at it sounds; the other night, our departure
from Barbados was delayed until one act was finished, because even on
a relatively motionless ship like this one, a sudden lurch could prove
disastrous.

Still, it all worked out in the end, and the audience gave thunderous
approval to Olga Pikhienko's sensual work. It proved a nice complement
to the musical and comedic talent from London, New York and Las Vegas
that normally plays the room.

But the major attractions happen in a special performance area
designed for (and by) Cirque called The Bar At The Edge Of The Earth.
This spacious lounge high up in the ship's bow returns Cirque to its
roots, but shows how far it's come at the same time.

You enter the cool, mysterious space through a seemingly solid wall of
images, created by a 3-D projector. As your eyes adjust to the liquid
shadows, you become aware that images are flickering everywhere on a
series of floating fabric screens. Thirteen projectors provide the
kaleidoscope of ever-changing visual sensations.

Of course, there's music — that eerie fusion of Euro-pop and New Age
that is Cirque's signature — but it has a more undulating feel than
usual.

You order a drink from one of the Cirque-trained robed servers, and
they bring your libations with a teasing smile that says, "Wait, it's
all going to start soon."

Suddenly, from the darkness in the corners, comes a slight young man
dressed in oriental garb — with a broad coolie-style hat that is
illuminated form within, casting an eerie greenish glow on his face.
He is The Wave Correspondent, and wanders through the crowd, giving
some of us messages that came from a bottle tossed on some long-ago
voyage. What do they say? Ah, that's a secret.

There are five such characters, bearing names like The Dream Fisher,
and they all wear fantastical costumes designed by Jean-Sébastien
Piquette.

They move around the spectators, not only accepting but instigating
interaction. They never speak, but make meaningful contact through
looks and gestures. Occasionally, they go into a central performance
area to create a series of illusions behind ever-moving screens and
projections.

The whole event, directed by Jean-François Bouchard, is seductive and
intriguing, but expect a conventional show and you might be
disappointed. Both Cirque and Celebrity should make sure that everyone
knows what they'll be seeing.

There is also a once-a-week gala Masquerade, using The Bar At The Edge
Of The Earth as its setting. Everyone is given a Cirque-like mask and
told to wear white.

What follows is an extension of the nightly experience, with the
undersea characters creating a world around you.

At a certain point in the evening, a more conventional Cirque act
performs and, at the end, the whole space turns into a unique dance
club with the numerous projectors casting images on the white-clad
dancers as spectator and artist become one.

It's unlike anything you've ever experienced, on land or sea.
Additional articles by Richard Ouzounian

› Need Gift Ideas? Save 50%! Subscribe Now!

Home| GTA| Business| Waymoresports| A&E| Life

Legal Notice: Copyright Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. All rights
reserved. Distribution, transmission or republication of any material
from www.thestar.com is strictly prohibited without the prior written
permission of Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. For information please
contact us using our webmaster form. www.thestar.com online since
1996.
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Wayne Lundberg

"Jocelyn" wrote in message
om...
We're booked on the June 4th sailing. Can't wait! This review is from
the theatre critic for the Toronto Star.

Jocelyn

I would love them to come on board Carnival next time we sail!

Old December 11th, 2004, 10:16 PM
HDawson228

Cirque du Soleil and Celebrity cruiselines have signed a 6 yr 7 million dollar
exclusive deal including cross-marketing agreements.
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:16 PM
HDawson228

Old December 12th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Dick Goldhaber

I first saw Cirque do Soleil on HBO almost 15 years ago, and I didn't
believe what I was seeing.

I may have seen subsequent shows there, but I next remember seeing Cirque at
The Mirage in Vegas in 1993, and I didn't believe what I was seeing.

I don't know whether Cirque is included or, like Johnny Rocket, is an
"additional charge" item. I have never been on a ship that offers either.

While I would not pay extra for a hamburger, Cirque IS worth a reasonable
additional charge. REASONABLE!
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old December 12th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Fred

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message
I first saw Cirque do Soleil on HBO almost 15 years ago, and I didn't
believe what I was seeing.

What was so unbelievable?

I may have seen subsequent shows there, but I next remember seeing Cirque
at
The Mirage in Vegas in 1993, and I didn't believe what I was seeing.

What was so unbelievable?

I don't know whether Cirque is included or, like Johnny Rocket, is an
"additional charge" item. I have never been on a ship that offers either.

As referanced above

While I would not pay extra for a hamburger, Cirque IS worth a reasonable
additional charge. REASONABLE!

Of cource not, dick head, you're a jew and a cheap one.

--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

And just what did you offer in this post? You are such a big contributer.
BTW How is my sweetie doing tonight? When your humping her leg does she call
out my name? Or do you call out deb's name?

Old December 12th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Dick Goldhaber wrote:
I first saw Cirque do Soleil on HBO almost 15 years ago, and I didn't
believe what I was seeing.

I may have seen subsequent shows there, but I next remember seeing Cirque at
The Mirage in Vegas in 1993, and I didn't believe what I was seeing.

I don't know whether Cirque is included or, like Johnny Rocket, is an
"additional charge" item. I have never been on a ship that offers either.

While I would not pay extra for a hamburger, Cirque IS worth a reasonable
additional charge. REASONABLE!

Dick,

Did you know that Cirque du Soleil has shows in Philly each year? The
last three years we have gone to see it and I would be willing to pay
extra to see them on a ship.

sue