Alaska cruise - out of Seattle ?

Old July 5th, 2007, 08:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Alaska cruise - out of Seattle ?

Can someone who's done the Seattle - Seattle cruise tell me - is it worth
it ?
I'm thinking of suggesting family do it ( with HAL) - they've never been
and low fares in Sept might be a taste of AK for them ?

ALASKAN EXPLORER VIA HUBBARD GLACIER
or
ALASKAN EXPLORER VIA GLACIER BAY ( similiar )
Day 0 Seattle, Washington 4:00 pm
1 At Sea
2 Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising 1 10:00 am 7:00 pm
3 Juneau, Alaska 7:00 am 8:00 pm
4 Sitka, Alaska 2 8:00 am 5:00 pm
5 Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 am 1:00 pm
6 Victoria, B.C. 6:00 pm Midnight
7 Seattle, Washington 7:00 am

3 of the 6 days are at sea. I've only ever done the one-way Seward to
Vancouver cruises so wasn't 'doubling back". Looks like lots of 'wasted
time' if cloudy and can't be deck to enjoy inside passage while moving.
Granted fares are cheaper because of it, but - if you've done it - Was it
worth it ? - for someone's never been to AK before ?

Old July 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sally[_1_]

"- Bobb -" wrote in
:
Can someone who's done the Seattle - Seattle cruise tell me - is it worth
it ?

What kind of a boat is this? If it is a big cruise ship, you're not going to
see a whole lot while the ship is moving (except maybe in Glacier Bay)
because the ship will not get very close to shore. You should plan on doing
most of your sightseeing on the shore excursions. The smaller boats get much
closer to shore for a better view, though the meals and cabins will probably
not be as fancy.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

3 of the 6 days are at sea. I've only ever done the one-way Seward to
Vancouver cruises so wasn't 'doubling back". Looks like lots of 'wasted
time' if cloudy and can't be deck to enjoy inside passage while moving.
Granted fares are cheaper because of it, but - if you've done it - Was it
worth it ? - for someone's never been to AK before ?

My parents hated it, for what that's worth.
It rains frequently, so if you aren't willing to be on deck in the rain you
won't be seeing much.

Many years ago we did a two day cruise in a 25 passenger boat from Juneau.
It was great.

Old July 5th, 2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Janet Wilder

- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

We did a 7 day cruise from Seattle to Seattle in early July 05. The
ports were the same, though I don't recall the exact order. We had been
to Alaska via RV in 1997 but wanted to see the coastal towns. The cruise
wasn't worth it.

The weather, as stated in other responses, was damp and cold in July.
The little towns were "Carribbeanized" with jewelry stores and other
port-type shopping. We did take a few interesting excursions,
particularly the one to the Mendenhall Glacier.

We never take a cabin with a balcony, preferring to stay low, mid-ship,
outside(for my claustrophobia)and spend the extra money on excursions.
(If it's a good cruise line there should be more diverting things than
staying inside one's cabin.) This was an NCL cruise and the cabin
steward did not keep our balcony clean so other than cleaning it myself
for the Glacier Bay tour, we didn't use it.

We did enjoy the balcony for the Glacier Bay part of the cruise. That
was the best part, IMO.

IMHO, cruising on a large ship is NOT the way to experience the beauty
of Alaska.

The roads are not as horrible as people pretend they are. Fly into
Anchorage, rent a car, stay in the numerous B&Bs and fly back from
Fairbanks. You'll enjoy it more.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

http://www.experience-hollandamerica...cruise/map.php

[...]

That makes it 0 for and 3 against. .. glad I asked, thanks
( as for fly into Anchorage etc these 'deals' ($399 on HAL) were only out
of Seattle). I'd suggest Anchoage too , but they want it on the cheap.

Old July 6th, 2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

The roads are not as horrible as people pretend they are. Fly into
Anchorage, rent a car, stay in the numerous B&Bs and fly back from
Fairbanks. You'll enjoy it more.

If you haven't driven Hatcher Pass you went the wrong way; and it is the
worst road I have ever seen. It makes the famous road to McCarthy look like
a highway.

Old July 7th, 2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian K[_1_]

On 7/5/2007 8:27 PM - Bobb - exclaimed:

- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

$399. sounds like an inside. Usually these sales that appear in ads
quote for inside double occupancy. I've been on a HAL ms Amsterdam (the
flag ship) for a Seattle to Seattle tour. HAL is a very classic line,
much like the old transatlantic steamers but with every technical thing
up to date. Generally the passenger list is skewed towards over forty.
I wouldn't suggest a HAL cruise for a young couple on their honeymoon.

Seattle in and of itself is a tourist destination. We took a red eye
out of Newark, NJ so we would have a day and a half to get a taste of
Seattle. I highly recommend it. The Fisherman's is a great place for
seafood right on the water. With Seattle along the coast to Anchorage
you really can't find a seafood restaurant where the seafood isn't
fresh! The open air market in Seattle boasts a fish market where the
fishmongers hurl big heavy fish at each other. It's not the kind of
thing you'd see at your local seafood department at your local supermarket.

In September Alaska is rainy. Temperatures can swing from 70F to 39F.
Whale watching can be a great excursion as long as you don't get your
hopes up for that National Geographic type photo op. Sitka is very
interesting once you get away from the main port area. There's very
much of the Russian culture still to be found in the town.

Pack that zoom lens, you'll be glad you did when the ship sails into
Glacier Bay. If you have a balcony on the viewing side of the
ship...there are extra blankets and quilts in one of the cabinets.
Break them out. Order room service in advance. Then you can beat the
crowds while sitting on your balcony, watching the glaciers in the
comfort of your blankets and quilts while sipping on hot coco. I've
done it and it is a great way to view the glaciers.

The food on HAL ships is generally excellent. I joke with my traveling
buddy as to whether this will be a 5lb, 10lb, or 15 lb cruise. (This
reference is to how much weight I'd gain if I let myself totally
indulge.) On HAL ships there is usually something for everyone's
tastes. As with most cruise ship lines, room service is free. You can
have a 6 course sit down dinner or lunch in the main dining room. Or
you can go to the Lido Buffet. Usually, by the pool there are snacks
anything from hamburgers to grilled salmon. HAL only has one specialty
restaurant. It is $20. more per person per meal. But it is worth doing
at least once. Ask your TA to make reservations for you.

Two tips: On embarkation day the beauty spa offers services on
discount. Also the Pinnacle specialty restaurant may offer discounts
for dinner on embarkation night.

Third tip: If you are a light eater, it is possible to consume enough
hors'd'overes to fill you for the evening. It is possible to do without
looking gosh. Simply move between the cocktail lounges, promenade, and
the Crows Nest night club area. The pre-dinner goodies are so good it's
tempting to just eat them and then swing into Lido Buffet for desert(s).
;-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old July 7th, 2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Take the Alaska Marine Highway system from Bellingham instead.
Its a hell of a lot cheaper and you can plan your trip around
meaningful stops along the way.

Keith

Old July 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Thanks,
I'll send this along to them.

nk.net...

- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

Brian M. Kochera "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!"