A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Travel Regions » USA & Canada
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Portland Oregon - what to do list

Old September 16th, 2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Portland Oregon - what to do list

From NY Times - readers suggestions for Portland area. I edited and saved
to my Pc.

Anything to add ?

oregon portland WHAT TO DO

· Portland Attractions

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui...ractions.html1. You can visit the International Rose Test Garden, the Oregon coast(which is 1.5 hours away) and the Timberline lodge (which is about an houraway). If you ski, Timberline offers summer skiing. If you don't, take theMagic Mile lift ride up to the Palmer glacier and take a hike down to thelodge. You will see the amazing Cascade ranges and the wild flowers on thetrail.2, 3, 4, 5 No trip to Portland is complete without a visit to Powell'sCity of Books, the landmark book store that occupies an entire city block.( repeated a lot)6. Saturday Market, is open everyday till Christmas until 6pm. Locatedunder the Burnside bridge. Also has a red line MAX stop. All buses,streetcars and the MAX are free to ride anywhere downtown, all year long.7. Want to have a tour of the Portland darker side? Check out the severalPortland underground tours, which explain Shanghi days of Portland.8. Jimmy Mak's jazz club is a must. Located in the Pearl District, on10th and Everett downtown - right on the streetcar line and steps fromPowell's, the club is now in a new and great-looking space, Jimmy Mak'swas a highlight of our trip about a year ago. Dan Balmer and Mel Brown,two local jazz titans, are regulars and are not to be missed. A real jazzclub for real jazz fans. I hear the food is pretty good too.9. If you want to see the city like a native go to WATERFRONT BICYCLERENTALS on Montgomery St. on the River.They call it river place. Eventhough my husband and I are older we could ride the loop over the bridges.It is a wonderful view.The bike shop is friendly and reasonable. They alsohave maps to take you where you may want to go! Great Fun! MLaidman FL.10. Hop on the streetcar and ride it to the south waterfront stationwhere you can buy a $4 RT ticket to ride on Portland's new aerial tram. Ona clear day, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, and city skyline views arespectacular!11. BEER !!! Portland is America's best city in which to find a GOODbeer. It's always a good time for a beer in the Rose City !12. Print Arts Northwest. Barely north of Powell's door. This nonprofit'sprintmaking members include many fine artists and teachers. Prices are lowto reasonable.13. COFFEE : Stumptown Coffee Roasters, there you can get a latte thatwhen it is poured into your glass looks like a glass of Guiness, andtastes even better. I have their beans sent to me twice a month, here inthe land of Dunkin Donuts.14. what about portlands art museum and the modern archtecture...great....15. The selection of scotch at Brooklyn Park Pub (3400 S.E. MilwaukieAve., 503-234-7772) wouldn’t be out of place in a high-end restaurant, butit’s owner Nathan Dewey’s love of American whiskeys that really sets thisplace apart. He stocks a large, enticing collection of rare bourbons andwhat has to be the largest assortment of rye whiskeys in town. And Deweycan discourse knowledgeably and at length about them all.16. Forget the beer fest, just do a brew pub crawl. In the downtown areayou must have six brewpubs and numerous alehouse. On NW 23rd Ave you havethree, so you can shop two blocks and take a well earned rest before youcontinue on.17. For kids, you certainly can't beat Washington Park - wit the OregonZoo, the Forestry Center, and the Children's Museum within steps of oneanother and easily accessible by MAX train. The zoo is scenic and visitingit is like taking a stroll through a beautiful park.18. Madcarpenter is exactly right. Beer is to Portland what coffee is toSeattle or wine to Burgundy. Oregon has the best climate in the world forgrowing hops (it is no wonder that the USDA Hops Reserach Center islocated in Corvalis at Oregon State University). Accordingly, Portland hasthe highest number of microbrews per capita in the country. Just remember,beer has food value, but food doesn't have beer value.19. Microbrewery culture. Bridgeport, Rogue, and Full Sail breweries/pubsall within a few blocks of each other in the Pearl (NW) district, and juststeps from Portland's diverse and efficient mass transit system.20. Definitely *not* Nice: The Rimsky Korsakoffeehouse at the corner ofS.E. 12th and Alder is known for its "casually threatening atmosphere". Isthis coffee-and-dessert oasis haunted or does your table spin slowly in acircle due to some kind of scientifically calculated placement at thecenter of the universe? You'll have to go there and try the fluffy,sweet-tart Chocolate Raspberry Fool for yourself if you want to find out.And while you're sipping your double cappuccino, take a stroll around theold victorian-style house and try to spot all twenty-sixalphabetically-inspired art exhibits (one for each letter) that decoratethe café as part of a year-long celebration of twenty-six years inbusiness. Columnist Jonathan Nicholas frequently ranks Rimsky's in his topten spots to bring out-of-town visitors because of that charminglydeceptive "niceness" that masks one of quirky Portland's quirkiestcorners.21. Visit Turkish Imports on NW 23rd street. They have an incredibleselection of beautiful hand-painted decorative plates. Even if you don'tbuy (but they'll haggle on the prices, so don't be put off by the stickerprices)it's worth the visit just to look at the plates.22. Everyone has covered beer and Powells, but Portland has a vibrantlive music scene. from touring bands to locals like The Shins,Decemberists etc. Check our The Roseland, Crystal Ballroom, WonderBallroom, Dante's, Aladdin Theater, and Berbati's Pan. There's a whole lotof live music besides Doug Fir.23. Where to start? At the top of NW Thurman is Forest Park, a fabulouspark with great trails. Start there with a nice little walk/hike and thenhead down the hill for a coffee and croissant at St. Honore on NW Thurman& 23rd. A terrific Portland stand-out is Magma (on NW Lovejoy & 18th. Theowner, Blake, and her quirky, sweet dog, Chester, can be found makingfantastic glass jewelry (magmajewels.com) most every day. Blake is also afund of Portland knowledge and can give recommendations for more greatthings to do. For good shopping away from the standard stores found inevery city in America, cross the river to NE Alberta St. or SE HawthorneSt. Going slightly furher afield, check out Sauvie's Island and/orMultnomah Falls for a bit of the countryside that's still close to town(30-45 min.). Mostly, just enjoy it all!- brookevr24. During the summer months no Saturday visit or walk along the Parkblocks in downtown Portland is complete without a stop at the PortlandFarmer's Market to sample folksy music and delicious organic produce.- skobak025. The Willamette Valley has hundreds of wineries. Piont Noir isfantastic. Therer are a couple of wineries in the Portland area, but mostare about 20 minutes south or west. Go during the fall to see the grapespicked and bottled. Also, Oregon has no sales tax for those that collectwine.- ethanscott26. Japanese Gardens in Washington Park are magic!27. Bike to the East side of town and hit the back streets. Some of themost beautiful houses in the city are along Alameda ridge, which is also agreat bike ride!28. I only got to spend about 48 hours in Portland but I loved it.Russian Gallery, Belgian chocolates. Soccer on TV at The Thirsty Lion(plus great beer). I liked the fact that you can get a bagel with ham andegg for $2.50 at Java Joes. Portland is a real place with unique andfriendly people. Got my 21 yr old daughter a meat cleaver through the headat the Saturday Market. And took photos for a Pillow Fight Club flash mob.What fun!29. Alberta Street. Galleries, Restaurants, Bars, Boutiques,... Funky!http://www.portlandneighborhood.com/...-street.html30. Food tour or Underground tour with Portland Walking Tours. mmmmm31. If in Portland you must visit City Liquidators its number seven onthe Oregonian "to do list" its a crazy place... nothing like it! a mustsee!32. Oregon Zoo!! A short MAX ride under the West Hills, ride the elevatorup to the surface and you'll be right at the front gate. This weekend(4/14-15)Portland will celebrate Packy (the Asian elephant) who is turing 45 yearsold.33. The Japanese Garden in Washington Park is superb.34. July 4th - 8th - 20th annual Waterfront Blues Festival. Always agreat time and it benefits the Oregon Food Bank.35. I would second previous suggestion. Head down to Jimmy Mak's on 10thand Everett downtown. Going to see Mel Brown and any of his ensembles is amust. Downbeat magazine named it to its top 100 places to listen to jazzand I have to say I haven't found anywhere better elsewhere!!36. The Grotto is a beautiful, peaceful respite. So is the JapeneseGarden.37. If you like indie rock check out The Laurelthirst on 28th and NEGlisan. It is truly home to the best musicians in Portland. Free happyhour 6 - 8 PM then cover charge shows at around 9. Beer and wine.38. First thing, stop at Powell's and pick up their free map of downtownPortland. Portland is very walkable--and if you get lazy, you can hop on abus, MAX, or the trolley downtown (also known as fareless square). If youlove old libraries, Portland's is a gem. It was refurbished several yearsago. So stop in and check out the 'City of Roses' carpeting and all thatlovely burnished wood! And I almost forgot--the History Museum on Broadwayis worth a stop and they have a great gift shop, as well.39. My husband and I just came home from a day in Portland; we took thelunch cruise on the Portland Spirit, a 2-hr trip on the Willamette River,passing under most of the many downtown bridges plus going quite farsouth. We stayed at a hotel (Day's Inn) which, as part of the Portland BigDeal, provides free breakfast and parking, plus vouchers for discounts onnumerous local businesses (including Nordstrom etc.) Also visited the Nikeheadquarters, Powell's bookshop (of course!) and The Real Mother Goose(best arts/crafts shop in the country!) phenomenal ceramics, art glass,jewelry, one-of-a-kind handmade wooden furniture, garments of hand dyed /woven fabrics - the best of artisan wares from all over the country!40. One of the most unique features of Portland is its proximity to oneof the largest cold rainforests on earth. If you are spending more thantwo days in Portland, you simply must drive the half-hour east on I-84,take exit #22 (Corbett Road), and follow the signs to the scenic highway,breathtaking Crown Point, and Multnomah Falls. You will pass four falls(Latourell, Wahkeenah, Multnomah, and Horsetail/Ponytail falls). Stop thecar and get out to see each one. Multnomah Falls has a lodge with a nicerestaurant. To stretch your legs, walk around there or go from HorsetailFalls the 1/4 mile up to the charming Ponytail falls, where you can wetyour hair under a falls that pours over a cave. If you are willing to getyour feet wet for something authentic and unique, go to Oneonta Gorge (onthis same scenic highway), put on some crappy sneakers, scramble over thelog lamb, and walk back through a narrow gorge that will make you think ofdinosaurs, Lord of the Rings, or the lives of American Indians. At the endis a rewarding hidden falls. To return to Portland, continue east justpast Horsetail Falls, and an entrance to I-84 West will appear. You canleave Portland at noon, enjoy the scenic highway to its fullest, and beback in town by four if you want.P.S.: The beer is no hype. When you're there, drink local!41. This will only work in from May to September on Saturdays.1) Go to the Portland State Farmer's Market (the town is obsessed withfood) and pick up a) a baguette from Pearl Bakery, b) cheese from JuniperGrove, c) paté from Viande and d) peaches from Baird's Orchards.2) Grab the streetcar and go to the Powell's stop on Burnside.3) Wait for the #20 bus going west and take it to NW 23rd.4) Get out and catch the #51 bus (Vista) going south. Ask the driver tolet you off at Council Crest Park and for the best way to get to the top.5) Walk to the top (10 minutes) and eat your food looking over Portland,the Willamette Valley and the Tualtin Valley.You will never forget this.42. I would definitely say that you should visit some pubs while inportland, or if you are really up for it, visit a brewery. If you manageto cross a bridge, and don't mind going under it, check out The Montage ,very Portland, 301 SE Morrison St for dinner with fabulous wine and oystershooters and a bit of creole. Not far away is the Rose and Raindrop, whichusually has some great craft beer. A restaurant not to be missed isHiggins 1239 S.W. Broadway, I miss this place a lot formal dining withoutall the fuss, NW creative cuisine with local ingredient and fine selectionof wines, and beer (Local Tap and Belgian Bottled) if adventorous ask forthe Hair of the Dog "Greg" Organic Squash IPA beer! Finally though itsaddens me not to go on about the joys of SE Portland, a visitor shouldalso see the Bridgeport Brewing Company for an easy to arrive at pubcatching the light rale into NW, good pizza and nice selection of beervery casual 1313 NW Marshall. St, Portland43. If you're going to come here for a visit, do yourself a favor andcheck out the east side of the city, especially the Hawthorne district.It's the real heart of Portland. Hop on the #14 Hawthorne bus downtown andin 10 minutes get off at SE 37th in front of the Baghdad Theatre. You'llbe glad you did. While you're there, check out the Powell's Cookbookstore, see a movie at the Baghdad Theatre brew pub, shop at the storeslining Hawthorne street between about SE 35th and SE 43rd, eat at one ofthe many restaurants...or go see the greatest video rental store in theworld, Portland's hidden treasure, Movie Madness at SE 44th and Belmont, ashort walk from the Hawthorne district.44. Check out the city's new Iconic TRAM. It cost taxpayers untoldmillions, but you can ride it for 4 bucks! What a deal. Gives a great viewof the city. Coffee available (of course) at shops on either end. Take theStreetcar to theend of the Waterfront line and hop on board.45. If you visit on a weekend anytime between April and October, skip theSaturday Market and head for the Portland Farmers Market instead. It takesplace on Saturdays in the South Park Blocks (next to Portland StateUniversity), and here you will find one reason Portland has such greatrestaurants. Have lunch at the market.46. the April 15th article (36 hours in Portland)--how could he havementioned shopping, Saks, etc. without noting that there's NO sales tax!woo-hoo!The Rose Festival and all its events is in June--the Grand Floral paradeusually the second Saturday. All the floats are made entirely of flowers.June is still spring-like. Summer is July, August, September.Portland city blocks are only 200' long--more retail space, early cityplanners decided. A 10-block walk takes about 10 minutes!--Portland grrl, now living in Seattle, where they can't plan mass transitor infrastructure improvements without 10-year discussions.47. Check out some of Portland's great eastside artsyneighborhoods--lower Fremont has great funky shops like Splurge, ajewelry/art co-op, Sofia for European clothes, La Bodega -great wine/beerbar with a patio. Alberta st. is full of restaurant/art galleries.48. If you want to shop for "fine and friendly objects from farawayplaces" The Monkey & The Rat is a must-see. Located in Historic Old Town'sMerchant Hotel Building, this direct-import store has affordably pricedantiques, buddhas, dragons, puppets, textiles, and ceramics. They shipcheap too!131 NW Second Ave (503) 310-2575also, 2217 NE Alberta (503) 445-436749. Toy shopping at The Missing Link on SE Hawthorne Blvd was a blast.T-shirts, anime and graffiti books, original toys. Great help and a senseof humor make this place one of the best artsy toy shops that I've everbeen to.50.Eats------------Mother's Bistro (Brunch, Lunch & Dinner)Old Town Pizza (Pizza & Lasagna)Pho Van (Vietnamese)My Thai on Hawthorne (Thai)Ciao Vito (NE Alberta)Noble Rot (Wine & Great Food)Esparza's (Mexican)51, 52.Portland's Japanese Garden, in the heart of urban Washington Park, is notto be missed.The Japanese Garden in Washington Park is exquisite at any time of year.53. My wife cracked that if this segment was instead called "72 hours inPortland" it would be just this: "STOP RAINING ALREADY!" We swing throughonce a year (on the way to the Oregon/Washington desert), love it when itdoesn't rain and hate -- no, resent it, for it means we can't live thereor we'd go nuts -- when it does. Unfortunately it rains 200 days p/yr. Ontop of it housing prices rose 200% since 05!! But...what a great place tolive June through Sept...54. Many of us live in Portland because it's a fun little city with lotsof outdoor recreation nearby. Check out the Columbia River Gorge for somewonderful hikes only a half-hour drive from downtown. My favorite isDevil's Rest- stop by REI in the Pearl and they can tell you how to getthere. And don't be deterred by the rain- you can hike in the gorge whenit's raining as long as you have something fairly waterproof.55. The best bargain Lebanese food in the area is Nicholas' on 318 SEGrand Ave. It has a cult like following and a cozy environment. Order amezza platter for $6 and it will feed two. Fresh baked pita bread, goodservice, but expect waits, especially on weekends.56. Mcmenamins chain of laid back, quirky restaurants, hotels, bars,movie theaters and concert halls are a can't miss while in Portland. TheBaghdad brew pub theater in the Hawthorne neighborhood and the KennedySchool, an elementary school turned restaurant/theater, are highlights.Also, the Crystal Ballroom downtown is one of the leading concert venuesin Portland-plus the floors bounce there.57. Stumptown Coffee Roasters arguably is the leading roaster in thecountry. It has won several prominent roasting awards and is well knownamong serious coffee aficionados around the country. They have threecoffee shops in Portland and an annex where they sell beans.58. free beer tasting @ tuck's Sats 12-6great beer at old lompoc (2$ pint on Suns)hike/mountainbike Forrest Parkforget the shanghai tunnels59. Along with some excellent coffee and great microbrews, Portland alsooffers some of the country's best Pinot Noir, with wineries in theWillamette Valley.Also, don't miss the Saturday Farmer's Market at PSU. One of thehighlights of the city during late spring through fall.60. The Portland Farmers Market, located downtown on the Park blocks nearPortland State, is one of the best farmers markets in the country,rivaling NYC's own Green Market. You'll find fantastic farm-fresh produce,gourmet ready-to-eat foods in a gorgeous park setting. Check it out atwww.portlandfarmersmarket.org .61. Check out two funky new neighborhoods in North/Northeast Portland --go to the Mississippi neighborhood, where a lot of creative typesinitiated their own renewal of the neighborhood, turning it into a vibrantscene that offers something for just about everyone. (It's also where GregKinnear filmed a movie last summer.) You'll lots of great little shopslike Pin Me Apparel and Black Wagon (for kids), as well as restaurantslike Lovely Hula Hands and Equinox. Go to Blue Gardenia for top-notchbaked goods and their house-roasted coffee. Get a table at Gravy forbreakfast.Just east of Mississipi is what some call the Alberta Arts District --it's another old neighborhood that's been polished into a gem. Startingfrom about Albert & 14th all the way to almost 30th Ave., you'll discoverall sorts of ways to break out the credit card. Breakfast at Tin Shed is aMUST if you want to get a sense of the local, laid-back vibe -- put yourname on the list for an outside table and help yourself to a mug of coffeewhile you take in the street scene. There are so many cool shops --Office, Donna & Toots, Grasshopper -- just keep walking. The blocks aren'tcompletely revived so you might hit a block or so where there seems likethere's nothing, but keep going -- you'll find more!62. Two places to check out: (1) Japanese Gardens, adjacent to the RoseGardens. A gorgeous, meditative experience. (2) Take a hike to the BagbyHot Springs (http://www.nwhotsprings.net/bagby.htm), where you can relaxin carved out cedar logs under the sky!63. Visit the 5,000 acre urban forest: Forest Park for a stroll orstrenuous hike. Portland's answer to Central Park. From the NW 23rdshopping district take Thurman St. to its end and you can hike from 1 to20 miles in Forest Park along the Leif Erickson and other Trails.64. If I was writing this itinerary (36 hours in Portland), numbers 1,2, 3, 4, and 10 would be to go to Powell's Books.65. I live in Portland and I like to go running on hilly TerwilligerBoulevard in SW Portland (right near downtown). It's beautiful andsidewalk- lined - with a view of the city all the way through. It's likerunning through a forest. Of course, if you really want to run through aforest - then you go to Forest Park - one of the largest urban forests inthe US.66. Portland's best kept secret is not even mentioned in the article (36hours in Portland).Hood River and the Columbia Gorge offer the most recreational and socialopportunities that any city could ask for. In the summers, you can doanything from windsurfing, kitesurfing, mountain biking, kayaking,rafting, golfing, fishing and much more. All of these are world class. Andfor those days that you want to relax, partake in the dozens of awardwinning wineries or one of the many fantastic breweries in the area. Plus,Hood River is full of boutique shopping and there's always a communityevent going on with live bands, markets, etc. And in the winter, it allslows down, but we are 35 minutes from the best ski resort in Oregon. Thisis all within an hour of Portland. If you're coming to Portland, don'tmiss out!67. Go to the Pacific NW College of Art (PNCA)13th and NW Johnson checkout the Faculty show unCommon and see what is happening in the Pearl, thenew Portland loft district. Go to the Paragon or Bay 13 for a drink andcheck out the local hip scene.68. VQ- Veritable Quandry. Long-time watering hole near riverfront69. If you have kids to occupy, check out the "Portland at Play" DVD at alocal library.70. There are wonderful locally owned clothing Boutiques in Portlandneighborhoods not mentioned in the article.These include Matisse at 1411 NE Broadway and dragonlily at 1740 SEHawthorne. These neighborhoods are across the Willamette River fromdowntown.Both of these boutiques are great environments to spend a fewhours and feature innovative designs,and wonderful personalized service.At Matesse there are chairs to sit and relax,and the freedom to try onlots of things with plenty of ideas and feedback (if you want it) from thewonderful staff. At dragonlily two of the designers own and operate thestore. In addition The Hawthorne neighborhood offers over 40 blocks ofadditional creative small businesses including bookstores,restaurants,pubs, and galleries. Another neighborhood not to miss is Alberta Streetalso in Northeast Portland. Karaline Boutique at 1804 NE Alberta alsofeatures a local designer. Next door is a store with children's clothes.Many more shops, restaurants and galleries also line this street71. Attend a performance of the Oregon Ballet Theater72. The Japanese Gardens in Washington Park should not be missed. Theyoffer serenity, beauty and an amazing view of the city plus views of Mt.Hood, Mt. Adams, and Mt. St. Helen's73. If you like smaller, dustier and more interesting bookstores, tryLongfellows Books on SE 14th and Division St. It's been around for 25years and they deal in used and rare books that aren't found most otherplaces. They have a lot of other interesting stuff besides books as well,but it's still a small indepedent store holding on when a lot of otherscan't anymore.74. There is a great local blues musician in Portland named SteveCheseborough. While in town, if you see that he is playing anywhere, besure to stop in for a drink and listen.75. The article 36 Hours in Portland, Ore. was just the TIP of theiceberg! Lots of good suggestions here. A don't-miss is the SaturdayPortland Farmers Market in the South Park Blocks adjacent to PSU(www.portlandfarmersmarket.org). Another reader mentioned the East Side(of the Willamette river), there are plenty of beautiful neighborhoods allwith a different feel: Mississippi Historic Dist, Irvington, Lloyd center,Belmont, Hawthorne, etc. Both the Chinese and Japanese Gardens are anabsolute treat any time of year that locals like myself really enjoy.Forest Park within the city limits is huge, Mt. Tabor offers a beautifulpark and views all around Portland (and you can also say you climbed theonly volcano within a city limit in the U.S., don't worry, it's dormant.You will not tire of what to do here, if alas, even us natives dosometimes tire of the incessant rain. Best of all, we love to host out oftowners and look forward to seeing you out our way!76. If Powell's is the gold mine of books in Portland, on a moremanageable scale is a polished gem, Looking Glass books, at 7983 SE 13thAve. in the Sellwood section. It's a terrific place to find fiction, witha collection of the best from the US and around the world, as well asnon-fiction on issues that matter, carefully tended by the owner KarinAnna. Spend a couple of minutes talking books with her and watch her comeover with a smile and a new suggestion the next time you come by. And you’ve got to take the kids. The children's selection is rich and deep, andit's housed inside a real, red caboose! You can't miss it!77. If I had 36 hours in Portland, one fun way would be to check out theall Mcmenamins establishments sprinkled throughout Portland. If you'venever heard of them, they're two brothers that restore historic buildingsand turn them into restaurants, hotels, brew houses, and rock venues. Eachplace is very unique and tasteful in it's own strange McMenamins sort ofway.Downtown - Crystal Ballroom. Amazing music venue. The floors arespring-loaded. If you love small rock venues, this is your spot. Rest/Bardownstairs.Northeast - Kennedy School + Chapel Pub. Convert a school and chapel intobars? Yup.Southeast- Baghdad Theater, serve beer and pizza while playing greatmovies!East - Edgefield, mansion of a hotel, wine making, golf course, movietheater, amazing views.78. An overlooked gem is the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden on SE28th, across from Reed College. It's at it's peak around Mother's Day, butit's always serene and lovely. Stop at the little produce stand down theroad for some duck food for all the winged creatures in the garden'swaterways.79. Just wanted to point out that the MAX light rail line does not stopat the Rose test gardens/Japanese Garden. You'll need to connect to a busto get there. They are both definitely worth the trip. The Japanese Gardenis beautiful all year long.80. For the ultimate chocolate experience, visit Cacao at 414 SW 13thAve...Drink ambrosia!...and don't forget Powells Books, an entire city block of books, books,books - and it's an independent!81. Voodoo Donuts. It is downtown Portland open 24 hours a day. Justsouth of Burnside on 2nd (i think). It's a little hole in the wallconnected to Berbati's Pan. One of the owners, Tres Shannon is quite a manabout town, especially in the rock scene. You can check Tres and theKaoroke from Hell band at Dante's every Monday night. It's a treat, whattagreat band to back you up when you want to pretend you are the latest andthe greatest.I would definitely recommend giving NE Alberta St and NE Mississippi.Great artist neighborhoods.82. If you have a car, head NW from Portland on HWY 30 to Sauvie Island.You can walk on Columbia River sandy beaches, or join the fishers withyour pole. From April to October, the wildlife areas are available toaccess where again there are wonderful places to walk with your dog, orplaces to put a canoe in to paddle the inlets of the Columbia. There are anumber of nursuries and farms that can be visited as well. Due to theflatness of the island, bikers abound on the roads.83. It's not all about beer and coffee. Portland, located in theWillamette Valley, is home to some of the best Pinot Noir in the country.There are wonderful wineries to visit just 30 miles west of Portland onthe way to the coast. Check out David Hill Vineyards and be sure to pack apicnic. It is a beautiful location rich in history.84. Check out this cool website on Portland-- they profile all 95 of theurban neighborhoods...www.portlandneighborhood.com85. the Japanese Gardens in Washington Park are breathttaking, thelargest and most beautiful in North America. Don't miss it!The End
Old September 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi
external usenet poster

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
From NY Times - readers suggestions for Portland area. I edited and saved
to my Pc.

Anything to add ?

snip

I didn't see the Chinese Garden -- though I might have missed it in your
dense text. The Chinese Garden is downtown in Portland's small Chinatown. I
really enjoyed it.

Marianne

Old September 16th, 2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]
external usenet poster

whoops - will resend - sorry - lost the line wraps

"Mimi" wrote in message
. ..

. ..
From NY Times - readers suggestions for Portland area. I edited and
saved to my Pc.

Anything to add ?

snip

I didn't see the Chinese Garden -- though I might have missed it in your
dense text. The Chinese Garden is downtown in Portland's small
Chinatown. I really enjoyed it.

Marianne

Old September 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]
external usenet poster

. ..
whoops - will resend - sorry - lost the line wraps

Not trying to skip giving credit to names /dates - just consolidating in
txt mode rather than html - see link for source info: New York Times
Travel oregon portland WHAT TO DO Portland Attractions

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui...tractions.html

1. Go to Portland in the summer. The summer there is dry and comfortable.
You
can visit the International Rose Test Garden, the Oregon coast (which is
hours away) and the Timberline lodge (which is about an hour away). If you
ski,
Timberline offers summer skiing. If you don't, take the Magic Mile lift
ride up
to the Palmer glacier and take a hike down to the lodge. You will see the
amazing Cascade ranges and the wild flowers on the trail.

2, 3, 4, 5 No trip to Portland is complete without a visit to Powell's
City of
Books, the landmark book store that occupies an entire city block.

6. Saturday Market, is open everyday till Christmas until 6pm. Located
under
the Burnside bridge. Also has a red line MAX stop. All buses, streetcars
and the
MAX are free to ride anywhere downtown, all year long.

7. Want to have a tour of the Portland darker side? Check out the several
Portland underground tours, which explain Shanghi days of Portland.

8. Jimmy Mak's jazz club is a must. Located in the Pearl District, on
10th and
Everett downtown - right on the streetcar line and steps from Powell's,
the club
is now in a new and great-looking space, Jimmy Mak's was a highlight of
our trip
about a year ago. Dan Balmer and Mel Brown, two local jazz titans, are
regulars
and are not to be missed. A real jazz club for real jazz fans. I hear the
food
is pretty good too.

9. If you want to see the city like a native go to WATERFRONT BICYCLE
RENTALS
on Montgomery St. on the River. They call it river place. Even though my
husband
and I are older we could ride the loop over the bridges. It is a wonderful
view.
The bike shop is friendly and reasonable. They also have maps to take you
where
you may want to go! Great Fun!

10. Hop on the streetcar and ride it to the south waterfront station
where you
can buy a $4 RT ticket to ride on Portland's new aerial tram. On a clear
day,
Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, and city skyline views are spectacular!

11. BEER !!! Portland is America's best city in which to find a GOOD
beer. It's
always a good time for a beer in the Rose City !

12. Print Arts Northwest. Barely north of Powell's door. This nonprofit's
printmaking members include many fine artists and teachers. Prices are low
to
reasonable.

13. COFFEE : Stumptown Coffee Roasters, there you can get a latte that
when it
is poured into your glass looks like a glass of Guiness, and tastes even
better.
I have their beans sent to me twice a month, here in the land of Dunkin
Donuts.

14. what about Portland's art museum and the modern architecture...
great....

15. The selection of scotch at Brooklyn Park Pub (3400 S.E. Milwaukee
Ave.,
503-234-7772) wouldn't be out of place in a high-end restaurant, but it's
owner
Nathan Dewey's love of American whiskeys that really sets this place
apart. He
stocks a large, enticing collection of rare bourbons and what has to be
the
largest assortment of rye whiskeys in town. And Dewey can discourse
knowledgeably and at length about them all.

16. Forget the beer fest, just do a brew pub crawl. In the downtown area
you
must have six brewpubs and numerous alehouse. On NW 23rd Ave you have
three, so
you can shop two blocks and take a well earned rest before you continue
on.
17. For kids, you certainly can't beat Washington Park - wit the Oregon
Zoo, the
Forestry Center, and the Children's Museum within steps of one another and
easily accessible by MAX train. The zoo is scenic and visiting it is like
taking
a stroll through a beautiful park.

18. Madcarpenter is exactly right. Beer is to Portland what coffee is to
Seattle
or wine to Burgundy. Oregon has the best climate in the world for growing
hops
(it is no wonder that the USDA Hops Research Center is located in Corvalis
at
Oregon State University). Accordingly, Portland has the highest number of
microbrews per capita in the country. Just remember, beer has food value,
but
food doesn't have beer value.

19. Microbrewery cultu Bridgeport, Rogue, and Full Sail breweries/pubs
all
within a few blocks of each other in the Pearl (NW) district, and just
steps
from Portland's diverse and efficient mass transit system.

20. Definitely *not* Nice: The Rimsky Korsakoffeehouse at the corner of
S.E.
12th and Alder is known for its "casually threatening atmosphere". Is this
coffee-and-dessert oasis haunted or does your table spin slowly in a
circle due
to some kind of scientifically calculated placement at the center of the
universe? You'll have to go there and try the fluffy, sweet-tart Chocolate
Raspberry Fool for yourself if you want to find out. And while you're
sipping
your double cappuccino, take a stroll around the old Victorian-style house
and
try to spot all twenty-six alphabetically-inspired art exhibits (one for
each
letter) that decorate the café as part of a year-long celebration of
twenty-six
years in business. Columnist Jonathan Nicholas frequently ranks Rimsky's
in his
top ten spots to bring out-of-town visitors because of that charmingly
deceptive
"niceness" that masks one of quirky Portland's quirkiest corners.

21. Visit Turkish Imports on NW 23rd street. They have an incredible
selection
of beautiful hand-painted decorative plates. Even if you don't buy (but
they'll
haggle on the prices, so don't be put off by the sticker prices)it's worth
the
visit just to look at the plates.

22. Everyone has covered beer and Powell's, but Portland has a vibrant
live
music scene. from touring bands to locals like The Shins, Decemberists
etc.
Check out The Roseland, Crystal Ballroom, Wonder Ballroom, Dante's,
Aladdin
Theater, and Berbati's Pan. There's a whole lot of live music besides Doug
Fir.

23. Where to start? At the top of NW Thurman is Forest Park, a fabulous
park
with great trails. Start there with a nice little walk/hike and then head
down
the hill for a coffee and croissant at St. Honore on NW Thurman & 23rd. A
terrific Portland stand-out is Magma (on NW Lovejoy & 18th. The owner,
Blake,
and her quirky, sweet dog, Chester, can be found making fantastic glass
jewelry
(magmajewels.com) most every day. Blake is also a fund of Portland
knowledge and
can give recommendations for more great things to do. For good shopping
away
from the standard stores found in every city in America, cross the river
to NE
Alberta St. or SE Hawthorne St. Going slightly further a field, check out
Sauvie's Island and/or Multnomah Falls for a bit of the countryside that's
still
close to town (30-45 min.). Mostly, just enjoy it all!

24. During the summer months no Saturday visit or walk along the Park
blocks in
downtown Portland is complete without a stop at the Portland Farmer's
Market to
sample folksy music and delicious organic produce.

25. The Willamette Valley has hundreds of wineries. Pinot Noir is
fantastic.
There are a couple of wineries in the Portland area, but most are about 20
minutes south or west. Go during the fall to see the grapes picked and
bottled.
Also, Oregon has no sales tax for those that collect wine.

26. Japanese Gardens in Washington Park are magic!

27. Bike to the East side of town and hit the back streets. Some of the
most
beautiful houses in the city are along Alameda ridge, which is also a
great bike
ride!

28. I only got to spend about 48 hours in Portland but I loved it.
Russian
Gallery, Belgian chocolates. Soccer on TV at The Thirsty Lion (plus great
beer).
I liked the fact that you can get a bagel with ham and egg for $2.50 at
Java
Joes. Portland is a real place with unique and friendly people. Got my 21
yr old
daughter a meat cleaver through the head at the Saturday Market. And took
photos
for a Pillow Fight Club flash mob. What fun!

29. Alberta Street. Galleries, Restaurants, Bars, Boutiques,... Funky!
http://www.portlandneighborhood.com/alberta-street.html

30. Food tour or Underground tour with Portland Walking Tours. mmmmm

31. If in Portland you must visit City Liquidators its number seven on
the
Oregonian "to do list" its a crazy place... nothing like it! a must see!

32. Oregon Zoo!! A short MAX ride under the West Hills, ride the elevator
up to
the surface and you'll be right at the front gate. This weekend (4/14-15)
Portland will celebrate Packy (the Asian elephant) who is turing 45 years
old.

33. The Japanese Garden in Washington Park is superb.

34. July 4th - 8th - 20th annual Waterfront Blues Festival. Always a
great time
and it benefits the Oregon Food Bank.

35. I would second previous suggestion. Head down to Jimmy Mak's on 10th
and
Everett downtown. Going to see Mel Brown and any of his ensembles is a
must.
Downbeat magazine named it to its top 100 places to listen to jazz and I
have to
say I haven't found anywhere better elsewhere!!

36. The Grotto is a beautiful, peaceful respite. So is the Japenese
Garden.

37. If you like indie rock check out The Laurelthirst on 28th and NE
Glisan. It
is truly home to the best musicians in Portland. Free happy hour 6 - 8 PM
then
cover charge shows at around 9. Beer and wine.

38. First thing, stop at Powell's and pick up their free map of downtown
Portland. Portland is very walkable--and if you get lazy, you can hop on a
bus,
MAX, or the trolley downtown (also known as fareless square). If you love
old
libraries, Portland's is a gem. It was refurbished several years ago. So
stop in
and check out the 'City of Roses' carpeting and all that lovely burnished
wood!
And I almost forgot--the History Museum on Broadway is worth a stop and
they
have a great gift shop, as well.

39. My husband and I just came home from a day in Portland; we took the
lunch
cruise on the Portland Spirit, a 2-hr trip on the Willamette River,
passing
under most of the many downtown bridges plus going quite far south. We
stayed at
a hotel (Day's Inn) which, as part of the Portland Big Deal, provides free
breakfast and parking, plus vouchers for discounts on numerous local
businesses
(including Nordstrom etc.) Also visited the Nike headquarters, Powell's
bookshop
(of course!) and The Real Mother Goose (best arts/crafts shop in the
country!)
phenomenal ceramics, art glass, jewelry, one-of-a-kind handmade wooden
furniture, garments of hand dyed / woven fabrics - the best of artisan
wares
from all over the country!

40. One of the most unique features of Portland is its proximity to one
of the
largest cold rainforests on earth. If you are spending more than two days
in
Portland, you simply must drive the half-hour east on I-84, take exit #22
(Corbett Road), and follow the signs to the scenic highway, breathtaking
Crown
Point, and Multnomah Falls. You will pass four falls (Latourell,
Wahkeenah,
Multnomah, and Horsetail/Ponytail falls). Stop the car and get out to see
each
one. Multnomah Falls has a lodge with a nice restaurant. To stretch your
legs,
walk around there or go from Horsetail Falls the 1/4 mile up to the
charming
Ponytail falls, where you can wet your hair under a falls that pours over
a
cave. If you are willing to get your feet wet for something authentic and
unique, go to Oneonta Gorge (on this same scenic highway), put on some
crappy
sneakers, scramble over the log lamb, and walk back through a narrow gorge
that
will make you think of dinosaurs, Lord of the Rings, or the lives of
American
Indians. At the end is a rewarding hidden falls. To return to Portland,
continue
east just past Horsetail Falls, and an entrance to I-84 West will appear.
You
can leave Portland at noon, enjoy the scenic highway to its fullest, and
be back
in town by four if you want.
P.S.: The beer is no hype. When you're there, drink local!

41. This will only work in from May to September on Saturdays.
1) Go to the Portland State Farmer's Market (the town is obsessed with
food) and
pick up a) a baguette from Pearl Bakery, b) cheese from Juniper Grove, c)
paté
from Viande and d) peaches from Baird's Orchards.
2) Grab the streetcar and go to the Powell's stop on Burnside.
3) Wait for the #20 bus going west and take it to NW 23rd.
4) Get out and catch the #51 bus (Vista) going south. Ask the driver to
let you
off at Council Crest Park and for the best way to get to the top.
5) Walk to the top (10 minutes) and eat your food looking over Portland,
the
Willamette Valley and the Tualtin Valley.
You will never forget this.

42. I would definitely say that you should visit some pubs while in
portland,
or if you are really up for it, visit a brewery. If you manage to cross a
bridge, and don't mind going under it, check out The Montage , very
Portland,
301 SE Morrison St for dinner with fabulous wine and oyster shooters and a
bit
of creole. Not far away is the Rose and Raindrop, which usually has some
great
craft beer. A restaurant not to be missed is Higgins 1239 S.W. Broadway, I
miss
this place a lot formal dining without all the fuss, NW creative cuisine
with
local ingredient and fine selection of wines, and beer (Local Tap and
Belgian
Bottled) if adventorous ask for the Hair of the Dog "Greg" Organic Squash
IPA
beer! Finally though it saddens me not to go on about the joys of SE
Portland, a
visitor should also see the Bridgeport Brewing Company for an easy to
arrive at
pub catching the light rale into NW, good pizza and nice selection of beer
very
casual 1313 NW Marshall. St, Portland

43. If you're going to come here for a visit, do yourself a favor and
check
out the east side of the city, especially the Hawthorne district. It's the
real
heart of Portland. Hop on the #14 Hawthorne bus downtown and in 10 minutes
get
off at SE 37th in front of the Baghdad Theatre. You'll be glad you did.
While
you're there, check out the Powell's Cookbook store, see a movie at the
Baghdad
Theatre brew pub, shop at the stores lining Hawthorne street between about
SE
35th and SE 43rd, eat at one of the many restaurants...or go see the
greatest
video rental store in the world, Portland's hidden treasure, Movie Madness
at SE
44th and Belmont, a short walk from the Hawthorne district.

44. Check out the city's new Iconic TRAM. It cost taxpayers untold
millions,
but you can ride it for 4 bucks! What a deal. Gives a great view of the
city.
Coffee available (of course) at shops on either end. Take the Streetcar to
theend of the Waterfront line and hop on board.

45. If you visit on a weekend anytime between April and October, skip the
Saturday Market and head for the Portland Farmers Market instead. It takes
place
on Saturdays in the South Park Blocks (next to Portland State University),
and
here you will find one reason Portland has such great restaurants. Have
lunch at
the market.
46. the April 15th article (36 hours in Portland)--how could he have
mentioned shopping, Saks, etc. without noting that there's NO sales tax!
woo-hoo!
The Rose Festival and all its events is in June--the Grand Floral parade
usually
the second Saturday. All the floats are made entirely of flowers. June is
still
spring-like. Summer is July, August, September.
Portland city blocks are only 200' long--more retail space, early city
planners
decided. A 10-block walk takes about 10 minutes!
--Portland grrl, now living in Seattle, where they can't plan mass transit
or
infrastructure improvements without 10-year discussions.

47. Check out some of Portland's great eastside artsy
neighborhoods--lower
Fremont has great funky shops like Splurge, a jewelry/art co-op, Sofia for
European clothes, La Bodega -great wine/beer bar with a patio. Alberta st.
is
full of restaurant/art galleries.

48. If you want to shop for "fine and friendly objects from faraway
places" The
Monkey & The Rat is a must-see. Located in Historic Old Town's Merchant
Hotel
Building, this direct-import store has affordably priced antiques,
buddhas,
dragons, puppets, textiles, and ceramics. They ship cheap too!
131 NW Second Ave (503) 310-2575
also, 2217 NE Alberta (503) 445-4367

49. Toy shopping at The Missing Link on SE Hawthorne Blvd was a blast.
T-shirts, anime and graffiti books, original toys. Great help and a sense
of
humor make this place one of the best artsy toy shops that I've ever been
to.

Eats------------
Mother's Bistro (Brunch, Lunch & Dinner)
Old Town Pizza (Pizza & Lasagna)
Pho Van (Vietnamese)
My Thai on Hawthorne (Thai)
Ciao Vito (NE Alberta)
Noble Rot (Wine & Great Food)
Esparza's (Mexican)
51, 52.
Portland's Japanese Garden, in the heart of urban Washington Park, is not
to be
missed.
The Japanese Garden in Washington Park is exquisite at any time of year.

53. My wife cracked that if this segment was instead called "72 hours in
Portland" it would be just this: "STOP RAINING ALREADY!" We swing through
once a
year (on the way to the Oregon/Washington desert), love it when it doesn't
rain
and hate -- no, resent it, for it means we can't live there or we'd go
nuts --
when it does. Unfortunately it rains 200 days p/yr. On top of it housing
prices
rose 200% since 05!! But...what a great place to live June through Sept...

54. Many of us live in Portland because it's a fun little city with lots
of
outdoor recreation nearby. Check out the Columbia River Gorge for some
wonderful
hikes only a half-hour drive from downtown. My favorite is Devil's Rest-
stop by
REI in the Pearl and they can tell you how to get there. And don't be
deterred
by the rain- you can hike in the gorge when it's raining as long as you
have
something fairly waterproof.

55. The best bargain Lebanese food in the area is Nicholas' on 318 SE
Grand
Ave. It has a cult like following and a cozy environment. Order a mezza
platter
for $6 and it will feed two. Fresh baked pita bread, good service, but
expect
waits, especially on weekends.

56. Mcmenamins chain of laid back, quirky restaurants, hotels, bars,
movie
theaters and concert halls are a can't miss while in Portland. The Baghdad
brew
pub theater in the Hawthorne neighborhood and the Kennedy School, an
elementary
school turned restaurant/theater, are highlights. Also, the Crystal
Ballroom
downtown is one of the leading concert venues in Portland-plus the floors
bounce
there.

57. Stumptown Coffee Roasters arguably is the leading roaster in the
country.
It has won several prominent roasting awards and is well known among
serious
coffee aficionados around the country. They have three coffee shops in
Portland
and an annex where they sell beans.

58. free beer tasting @ tuck's Sats 12-6
great beer at old lompoc (2$ pint on Suns)
hike/mountainbike Forrest Park
forget the shanghai tunnels

59. Along with some excellent coffee and great microbrews, Portland also
offers
some of the country's best Pinot Noir, with wineries in the Willamette
Valley.
Also, don't miss the Saturday Farmer's Market at PSU. One of the
highlights of
the city during late spring through fall.

60. The Portland Farmers Market, located downtown on the Park blocks near
Portland State, is one of the best farmers markets in the country,
rivaling
NYC's own Green Market. You'll find fantastic farm-fresh produce, gourmet
ready-to-eat foods in a gorgeous park setting. Check it out at
www.portlandfarmersmarket.org .

61. Check out two funky new neighborhoods in North/Northeast Portland --
go to
the Mississippi neighborhood, where a lot of creative types initiated
their own
renewal of the neighborhood, turning it into a vibrant scene that offers
something for just about everyone. (It's also where Greg Kinnear filmed a
movie
last summer.) You'll lots of great little shops like Pin Me Apparel and
Black
Wagon (for kids), as well as restaurants like Lovely Hula Hands and
Equinox. Go
to Blue Gardenia for top-notch baked goods and their house-roasted coffee.
Get a
table at Gravy for breakfast.
Just east of Mississipi is what some call the Alberta Arts District --
it's
another old neighborhood that's been polished into a gem. Starting from
about
Albert & 14th all the way to almost 30th Ave., you'll discover all sorts
of ways
to break out the credit card. Breakfast at Tin Shed is a MUST if you want
to get
a sense of the local, laid-back vibe -- put your name on the list for an
outside
table and help yourself to a mug of coffee while you take in the street
scene.
There are so many cool shops -- Office, Donna & Toots, Grasshopper -- just
keep
walking. The blocks aren't completely revived so you might hit a block or
so
where there seems like there's nothing, but keep going -- you'll find
more!

62. Two places to check out: (1) Japanese Gardens, adjacent to the Rose
Gardens. A gorgeous, meditative experience. (2) Take a hike to the Bagby
Hot
Springs (http://www.nwhotsprings.net/bagby.htm), where you can relax in
carved
out cedar logs under the sky!

63. Visit the 5,000 acre urban forest: Forest Park for a stroll or
strenuous
hike. Portland's answer to Central Park. From the NW 23rd shopping
district take
Thurman St. to its end and you can hike from 1 to 20 miles in Forest Park
along
the Leif Erickson and other Trails.

64. If I was writing this itinerary (36 hours in Portland), numbers 1,
2, 3,
4, and 10 would be to go to Powell's Books.

65. I live in Portland and I like to go running on hilly Terwilliger
Boulevard
in SW Portland (right near downtown). It's beautiful and sidewalk- lined -
with
a view of the city all the way through. It's like running through a
forest. Of
course, if you really want to run through a forest - then you go to Forest
Park
- one of the largest urban forests in the US.

66. Portland's best kept secret is not even mentioned in the article (36
hours
in Portland).
Hood River and the Columbia Gorge offer the most recreational and social
opportunities that any city could ask for. In the summers, you can do
anything
from windsurfing, kitesurfing, mountain biking, kayaking, rafting,
golfing,
fishing and much more. All of these are world class. And for those days
that you
want to relax, partake in the dozens of award winning wineries or one of
the
many fantastic breweries in the area. Plus, Hood River is full of boutique
shopping and there's always a community event going on with live bands,
markets,
etc. And in the winter, it all slows down, but we are 35 minutes from the
best
ski resort in Oregon. This is all within an hour of Portland. If you're
coming
to Portland, don't miss out!

67. Go to the Pacific NW College of Art (PNCA)13th and NW Johnson check
out
the Faculty show unCommon and see what is happening in the Pearl, the new
Portland loft district. Go to the Paragon or Bay 13 for a drink and check
out
the local hip scene.

68. VQ- Veritable Quandry. Long-time watering hole near riverfront

69. If you have kids to occupy, check out the "Portland at Play" DVD at a
local
library.

70. There are wonderful locally owned clothing Boutiques in Portland
neighborhoods not mentioned in the article.
These include Matisse at 1411 NE Broadway and dragonlily at 1740 SE
Hawthorne.
These neighborhoods are across the Willamette River from downtown.Both of
these
boutiques are great environments to spend a few hours and feature
innovative
designs,and wonderful personalized service. At Matesse there are chairs to
sit
and relax,and the freedom to try on lots of things with plenty of ideas
and
feedback (if you want it) from the wonderful staff. At dragonlily two of
the
designers own and operate the store. In addition The Hawthorne
neighborhood
offers over 40 blocks of additional creative small businesses including
bookstores,restaurants, pubs, and galleries. Another neighborhood not to
miss is
Alberta Street also in Northeast Portland. Karaline Boutique at 1804 NE
Alberta
also features a local designer. Next door is a store with children's
clothes.
Many more shops, restaurants and galleries also line this street

71. Attend a performance of the Oregon Ballet Theater

72. The Japanese Gardens in Washington Park should not be missed. They
offer
serenity, beauty and an amazing view of the city plus views of Mt. Hood,
Mt.
Adams, and Mt. St. Helen's

73. If you like smaller, dustier and more interesting bookstores, try
Longfellows Books on SE 14th and Division St. It's been around for 25
years and
they deal in used and rare books that aren't found most other places. They
have
a lot of other interesting stuff besides books as well, but it's still a
small
indepedent store holding on when a lot of others can't anymore.

74. There is a great local blues musician in Portland named Steve
Cheseborough.
While in town, if you see that he is playing anywhere, be sure to stop in
for a
drink and listen.

75. The article 36 Hours in Portland, Ore. was just the TIP of the
iceberg!
Lots of good suggestions here. A don't-miss is the Saturday Portland
Farmers
Market in the South Park Blocks adjacent to PSU
(www.portlandfarmersmarket.org).
Another reader mentioned the East Side (of the Willamette river), there
are
plenty of beautiful neighborhoods all with a different feel: Mississippi
Historic Dist, Irvington, Lloyd center, Belmont, Hawthorne, etc. Both the
Chinese and Japanese Gardens are an absolute treat any time of year that
locals
like myself really enjoy. Forest Park within the city limits is huge, Mt.
Tabor
offers a beautiful park and views all around Portland (and you can also
say you
climbed the only volcano within a city limit in the U.S., don't worry,
it's
dormant.
You will not tire of what to do here, if alas, even us natives do
sometimes tire
of the incessant rain. Best of all, we love to host out of towners and
look
forward to seeing you out our way!

76. If Powell's is the gold mine of books in Portland, on a more
manageable
scale is a polished gem, Looking Glass books, at 7983 SE 13th Ave. in the
Sellwood section. It's a terrific place to find fiction, with a collection
of
the best from the US and around the world, as well as non-fiction on
issues that
matter, carefully tended by the owner Karin Anna. Spend a couple of
minutes
talking books with her and watch her come over with a smile and a new
suggestion
the next time you come by. And you've got to take the kids. The children's
selection is rich and deep, and it's housed inside a real, red caboose!
You
can't miss it!

77. If I had 36 hours in Portland, one fun way would be to check out the
all
Mcmenamins establishments sprinkled throughout Portland. If you've never
heard
of them, they're two brothers that restore historic buildings and turn
them into
restaurants, hotels, brew houses, and rock venues. Each place is very
unique and
tasteful in it's own strange McMenamins sort of way.
Downtown - Crystal Ballroom. Amazing music venue. The floors are
spring-loaded.
If you love small rock venues, this is your spot. Rest/Bar downstairs.
Northeast - Kennedy School + Chapel Pub. Convert a school and chapel into
bars?
Yup.
Southeast- Baghdad Theater, serve beer and pizza while playing great
movies!
East - Edgefield, mansion of a hotel, wine making, golf course, movie
theater,
amazing views.

78. An overlooked gem is the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden on SE
28th,
across from Reed College. It's at it's peak around Mother's Day, but it's
always
serene and lovely. Stop at the little produce stand down the road for some
duck
food for all the winged creatures in the garden's waterways.

79. Just wanted to point out that the MAX light rail line does not stop
at the
Rose test gardens/Japanese Garden. You'll need to connect to a bus to get
there.
They are both definitely worth the trip. The Japanese Garden is beautiful
all
year long.

80. For the ultimate chocolate experience, visit Cacao at 414 SW 13th
Ave...Drink ambrosia!
....and don't forget Powells Books, an entire city block of books, books,
books -
and it's an independent!

81. Voodoo Donuts. It is downtown Portland open 24 hours a day. Just
south of
Burnside on 2nd (i think). It's a little hole in the wall connected to
Berbati's
Pan. One of the owners, Tres Shannon is quite a man about town, especially
in
the rock scene. You can check Tres and the Kaoroke from Hell band at
Dante's
every Monday night. It's a treat, whatta great band to back you up when
you want
to pretend you are the latest and the greatest.
I would definitely recommend giving NE Alberta St and NE Mississippi.
Great
artist neighborhoods.

82. If you have a car, head NW from Portland on HWY 30 to Sauvie Island.
You
can walk on Columbia River sandy beaches, or join the fishers with your
pole.
From April to October, the wildlife areas are available to access where
again
there are wonderful places to walk with your dog, or places to put a canoe
in to
paddle the inlets of the Columbia. There are a number of nursuries and
farms
that can be visited as well. Due to the flatness of the island, bikers
abound on
the roads.

83. It's not all about beer and coffee. Portland, located in the
Willamette
Valley, is home to some of the best Pinot Noir in the country. There are
wonderful wineries to visit just 30 miles west of Portland on the way to
the
coast. Check out David Hill Vineyards and be sure to pack a picnic. It is
a
beautiful location rich in history.

84. Check out this cool website on Portland-- they profile all 95 of the
urban
neighborhoods...www.portlandneighborhood.com

85. the Japanese Gardens in Washington Park are breathttaking, the
largest and
most beautiful in North America. Don't miss it!