Emergency travel- need help, please.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:42 PM

Default Emergency travel- need help, please.

Hi group.
I just got word that my mother is dying, over in Sweden and I'm
wondering if anyone here have ever had to make airline reservations on a
short time notice and if there are any way to get a lower fare from any
airlines, under these circumstances?
I have checked places like Expedia and Orbitz for regular going fare
prices and they are very high right now.
Any suggestions?
Any help or info. will be much appreciated!
Thanks
BN

Old June 23rd, 2005, 12:56 AM

Thank you all, for your good info and help!
Q. I'm looking for the best price from MIA to CPH and the best I have
found, so far, is from "AirGorilla", for $1421.67- total.
Is this a good price or? - I'll keep looking!
Also, how reliable are consolidators?
Thanks again.
BN

Old June 23rd, 2005, 01:46 AM
Rog'

Q. I'm looking for the best price from MIA to CPH and
the best I have found, so far, is from "AirGorilla" for $1421.67
- total. Is this a good price or? - I'll keep looking!

If you have to travel within the next 3 weeks, that's proably the
best that you'll do. You could try booking MIA to London or
Manchester separately, and taking a discount airline or trains
from there. You would do better buying 3 weeks in advance.
Using www.orbitz.com for regular airlines, I got a $1118 fare
(2 stops & multiple carriers), but only $738 to Manchester on
U.S. Airways.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:42 AM

Update.
Well, so much for AirGurilla!
I picked the flights tat stated, for British Airways- $1421.67. After
I gave ALL my C/C info, name, address---, it told me that the could no
they could not get confirmation and for me to pick another.
The next best thing was Iberia for $1733.00+.
Now I'm wondering how reliable they are and what they will do with all
my C/C info.
Well, on to more ------!
BN

Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
bunny

wrote in message
Hi group.
I just got word that my mother is dying, over in Sweden and I'm
wondering if anyone here have ever had to make airline reservations on a
short time notice and if there are any way to get a lower fare from any
airlines, under these circumstances?

Many airlines still have bereavement fares. When I worked for United, I
booked them every day, and they're refundable fares. The information needed
if you're booking as a medical emergency is name of patient, relationship to
patient, name of hospital, name of doctor, and a phone number for the
doctor. Often it's a two-step process when booking a bereavement fare,
because usually when you first call you don't have all that information, so
you find something you might want, put it on hold, then call back with the
rest of the information if you decide to ticket it.

I'm so sorry about your mother. My heart goes out to you.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:01 PM

Hi again, all, and thank you for all your help and good info.
Well, my mother past away yesterday, so I did not make it over there in
time.
I now have a bit more time to get over there for her funeral. I got a
fair rate (I think?) booking with Orbitz, last night, leaving on 6/28
with SAS/Lufthansa and return on SAS/United, for $1181.56, total, that
was the best rate that I have found.

Thanks again.
BN