visiting sydney

Old February 27th, 2006, 08:56 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default visiting sydney

hi im visiting sydney from 21st to 26th march. will be my first
overseas trip other than bangkok. how's the weather like? what are the
must-see places? any tips&advice and warning? thanks!!

Nick

Old February 27th, 2006, 11:30 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote:
hi im visiting sydney from 21st to 26th march. will be my first
overseas trip other than bangkok. how's the weather like? what are the
must-see places? any tips&advice and warning? thanks!!

With only six days you'll have to decide on your priorities - museums and
galleries, restaurants, beaches, parks and gardens, history, bars and clubs,
etc.... There's a lot to see in Sydney.
Possibilities include:
Get a travel pass (see
http://www.sydneypass.info/) and whizz round most of
the 'sights'.
Climb the bridge (see http://www.bridgeclimb.com/)
Get a ferry to Taronga Zoo (see http://www.sydney.com.au/zoo.htm)
Don't miss the Bird Show at the zoo.
There are other ferries too (see http://www.sydneyferries.info/)
The bus service is very good if you want to visit the suburbs/beaches, etc.
I enjoyed a visit to the botanical gardens (see
http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/)
If you want to get out of the city it is very cheap to rent a car to visit
all the usual places (Blue Mountains, various National Parks, Hunter Valley,
etc.)
and it isn't even dark yet...

HTH
Gilbert

Old February 28th, 2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote in message
oups.com...
hi im visiting sydney from 21st to 26th march. will be my first
overseas trip other than bangkok. how's the weather like?

Where from?
It'll be hot if you're from the Antartic; cold if you're from the Sahara
desert.

Old March 1st, 2006, 02:48 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

As someone else pointed out, what you are used to will influence your
view of the weather. While I have not been in Sydney in March, the
weather at other times of the year was similar to San Diego,
California, but generally a bit more humid. It's probably less humid
than the America's South.

Check out one of the weather sites to see if you can get average and
high temperatures, percipitation and humidity.

As for things to do, my wife recommends the Zoo (I was in meetings
when she went there). We both enjoyed viewing the harbor from a ferry
and the beach town Manley. The opera house looks better from a ferry
than the ground. The aboriginal art in museums and galleries was
awesome. The opals in nicer shops were to die for. The Victoria
building is beautiful inside and a fun place to shop or window shop.
The Rocks is a nice tourist area to visit. The Blue Mountains are
fairly close and a nice place to visit. If you like seafood, we loved
eating at Doyle's - both at Circular Quay and Watson Bay. (We
preferred the setting in Watson Bay.)

Depending upon where you stay and want to do, you don't really need a
car in Sydney. (This is from someone who has lived in California for
50 years and driven for nearly 40 of those years.) Parking can be
difficult in some areas and public transit is excellent.

Jerry

Old March 16th, 2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Just got back from Sydney - had a great time.

Get yourself a $15 "Daytripper" transit ticket. This allows you
unlimited train, ferry, and bus usage in all 8 or 9 zones for one day.
Considering that a return ferry trip to Manly costs about $11 (and even
a return bus ride from Circular Quay to/from Bondi is close to $8) it
pays for itself fast. Or a "Green Travelcard" (or it is "Travelpass"?).
For $35-$40 get 7 days unlimited train ,ferry, and bus usage in zones 1
and 2 (covers just about anywhere you would want to go).