'de kempen': 37°C, 50% humidity

Old July 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Delirium Tremens

Default 'de kempen': 37°C, 50% humidity

hottest day for Belgium this year.

Old July 19th, 2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

Delirium Tremens wrote:

hottest day for Belgium this year.

Do you have air conditioning...???

--
Best
Greg

Old July 19th, 2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Delirium Tremens

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Delirium Tremens wrote:

hottest day for Belgium this year.

Do you have air conditioning...???

nope, but I will sleep outside again tonight.

Old July 19th, 2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Delirium Tremens

Default 'de kempen': 37°C, 50% humidity, and rain, sweet sweet rain.........................

Martin wrote:
On 19 Jul 2006 06:50:15 -0700, "Gregory Morrow"
wrote:

Delirium Tremens wrote:

hottest day for Belgium this year.

Do you have air conditioning...???

Just his boxer shorts.
--

Martin

and rain, sweet sweet rain.........................

Old July 20th, 2006, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

NovaProspekt wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Do you have air conditioning...???

Don't really know about the rest of Belgium, but over here in Limburg
(hottest part of the country - nearly 38C in Hasselt yesterday, and
45C+ on the sandplains of Mol & Lommel) more and more of the newly
constructed houses have built-in airco, and more than half of the
people I know have bought portable airconditioners. I bought mine 3
years ago, and never looked back.

Good for you, you are one of those SMART and PRACTICAL Europeans :-)

--
Best
Greg

Old July 20th, 2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
NovaProspekt

Gregory Morrow schreef:

NovaProspekt wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Do you have air conditioning...???

Don't really know about the rest of Belgium, but over here in Limburg
(hottest part of the country - nearly 38C in Hasselt yesterday, and
45C+ on the sandplains of Mol & Lommel) more and more of the newly
constructed houses have built-in airco, and more than half of the
people I know have bought portable airconditioners. I bought mine 3
years ago, and never looked back.

Good for you, you are one of those SMART and PRACTICAL Europeans :-)

Finally, someone who recognizes my greatness

--
Best
Greg

Old July 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

NovaProspekt wrote:

Gregory Morrow schreef:

NovaProspekt wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Do you have air conditioning...???

Don't really know about the rest of Belgium, but over here in Limburg
(hottest part of the country - nearly 38C in Hasselt yesterday, and
45C+ on the sandplains of Mol & Lommel) more and more of the newly
constructed houses have built-in airco, and more than half of the
people I know have bought portable airconditioners. I bought mine 3
years ago, and never looked back.

Good for you, you are one of those SMART and PRACTICAL Europeans :-)

Finally, someone who recognizes my greatness

:-)

[The following is for the benefit of all you Yanks out there...]

Per this subject I was looking online at the selection of air con units
that some UK retailers (Dixons, Comet, etc.) offered. They were all of
the "portable" type, e.g. the type that Mixi has in his flat etc....

These units are *expensive"* several hundred Pounds at least for the
very cheapest units...here in the states you can commonly buy a cheap
5000 BTU Chinese - made window unit for as little as $75.00, this is in
range of most all budgets...this is a huge reduction in price from
years ago, an a/c unit was once a major purchase (like a color TV set
used to be decades ago).

Of course most European windows are of a different configuration, these
window units by - and - large would be difficult to fit. Also zoning
ordinances in historic districts prohibit the unsightliness of a box
hanging out a window, you probably couldn't get away with such a unit
in central Paris or wherever...

So cost is still a factor in Europeans buying airco, it's not quite in
the "cheap and disposable appliance" category yet...

--
Best
Greg

Old July 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Delirium Tremens

Gregory Morrow wrote:
NovaProspekt wrote:

Gregory Morrow schreef:

NovaProspekt wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

[...]

any solar powered ones in the states ?

Old July 21st, 2006, 01:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

Delirium Tremens wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:
NovaProspekt wrote:

Gregory Morrow schreef:

NovaProspekt wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

[...]

I dunno...maybe someone from the Sunny Southwest (Hatunen) or wherever
can answer...

"Swamp coolers", e.g. evaporative cooling units pre - dated airco in
hot and dry climes in the US, they are still used in Arizona, etc. But
they are only viable if the humidity is very, very, low...

--
Best
Greg

Old July 21st, 2006, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith W[_1_]

"Gregory Morrow" wrote in message
oups.com...

NovaProspekt wrote:

Gregory Morrow schreef:

NovaProspekt wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

[...]

That's not what a quick Google shows me

B&Q sell a 9,000 BTU unit for £180. They have a much
nicer split unit 9000 BTU machine for £350

There's also a Sumatsu 9000 BTU unit available for £150
from Eclipse

Amazon have a range of units around the £220 mark

These prices are pretty much in line with those for similar
units in the USA when you deduct the VAT component

here in the states you can commonly buy a cheap
5000 BTU Chinese - made window unit for as little as $75.00, this is in
range of most all budgets...this is a huge reduction in price from
years ago, an a/c unit was once a major purchase (like a color TV set
used to be decades ago).

Again Google seems to indicate that $150-250 is a more realistic
price

Of course most European windows are of a different configuration, these
window units by - and - large would be difficult to fit. Also zoning
ordinances in historic districts prohibit the unsightliness of a box
hanging out a window, you probably couldn't get away with such a unit
in central Paris or wherever...

Which is why you wont see any window units on sale in the UK
or most of Europe.

So cost is still a factor in Europeans buying airco, it's not quite in
the "cheap and disposable appliance" category yet...

Its cheaper than an Ipod Video and there are no shortage of
those around. If and when I do decide to fit an AC at home
it wont be noisy window or portable unit, it would be a
split system where the compressor can go outside. But
even in recent years it would only get used 2-3 weeks a year.

Keith