IATA Level 2 course

Old December 26th, 2005, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default IATA Level 2 course

Hi:
I have finished the IATA Level 1 (foundation) course and I have
obtained a certificate with O grade. I took a classroom course for the
Level 1. I plan on doing the Level 2 course and I have a question. Do I
need to go in for a classroom course or can go in for distance learning
? Please advise.

Thanks,
Sindhu

Old December 27th, 2005, 02:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air

wrote:

Hi:
I have finished the IATA Level 1 (foundation) course and I have
obtained a certificate with O grade.

WOW! Is 0 passing? That explains some of the TA's I have spoken to.
Old December 29th, 2005, 02:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air

For your understanding, in IATA, O stands for outstanding. It is the
letter O and not the number 0. Seemingly similar but very different.

Old December 7th, 2008, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Teddy

Hi I'm doing my IATA level 1 foundation course and am self studying I'm
really finding it hard to read especially when it comes to ticketing do
you have any tips for me which might help.

Teddy

--
Teddy
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old December 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Teddy" wrote in message

Hi I'm doing my IATA level 1 foundation course and am self studying I'm
really finding it hard to read especially when it comes to ticketing do
you have any tips for me which might help.

Teddy

--
Teddy
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

It's difficult to know what to suggest - the question is very non specific
and I did my IATA courses over 30 years ago when everything was done by hand
including fare calculation and ticket writing. No printers, no computers.
In some ways it was easier than today; particularly reservations on a full
flight if you knew the right person! And I always remember the daughter of
a boss of mine who would come and borrow some revalidation stickers then go
the airport, look at the departures board and revalidate her ticket if she
had "missed" her original reservation.

Old December 8th, 2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom P[_4_]

Graham Harrison wrote:

"Teddy" wrote in message

[...]

That sounds a little bit the old days when the computer operators at a
certain British airline could get cheap standby flights if there was
space left on the plane. They booked phantom passengers.

T.
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Tom P" wrote in message
Graham Harrison wrote:

"Teddy" wrote in message

[...]

Before computers all sorts of things went on. In the late 70s I went to
India. In those days Indian Airlines (the domestic carrier, not Air India)
had a very rudimentary computer but generally used manual procedures. I
tried to make reservations but was unable to get confirmations. On arrival
in Calcutta I went to the reservations office to find out if I was booked on
my next flight (to Delhi). The man disappeared and came back with an
enormous piece of paper on which there were about 250 squares, each one had
a name in it written by hand in pencil. He asked my name and started
looking for it. The names weren't in any kind of order they just wrote a
name in an empty square; happily mine was there. That sort of system made
it easy for people to get booked on a full plane an eraser used to be a
required tool of airline reservations!

The advent of computers began a tightening. These days with ET we have
arrived at a point where it is easy (but not foolproof) to link a ticket
record to a reservation which means unticketed reservations can (and are)
cancelled. The idea of phantom bookings to allow staff to travel wasn't
limited to one airline by any means but these days an unticketed reservation
would be cancelled weeks before departure (and further checks occur as
flight gets nearer so even late bookings are cancelled) so it's all a bit
pointless.