Question re Open Jaws Tickets - Where?

Old November 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JimC

Default Question re Open Jaws Tickets - Where?

We are interested in getting economy tickets to Europe next year and
would prefer an open jaws ticket arrangement that would let us arrive in
one country (e.g., Italy) and leave several weeks later from another
country (France). There are of course several on-line ticketing sites,
such as Travelocity, Expedia, etc., and also sites for the airlines we
would use, such as Continental, American, Air France. Although there
seem to be some good prices for overseas travel (in the January - March
period), I don't see any on-line sites that include prices for such
open-jaws tickets, even using the same airline both ways. - Does
anyone know of any on-line source that would provide prices and
conditions for open-jaws tickets?

Thanks,
Jim Cate
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"JimC" wrote in message
We are interested in getting economy tickets to Europe next year and would
prefer an open jaws ticket arrangement that would let us arrive in one
country (e.g., Italy) and leave several weeks later from another country
(France). There are of course several on-line ticketing sites, such as
Travelocity, Expedia, etc., and also sites for the airlines we would use,
such as Continental, American, Air France. Although there seem to be some
good prices for overseas travel (in the January - March period), I don't
see any on-line sites that include prices for such open-jaws tickets, even
using the same airline both ways. - Does anyone know of any on-line
source that would provide prices and conditions for open-jaws tickets?

Thanks,
Jim Cate

When you start getting away from the common round trip flights, you may want
to see a good travel agent. They're very good at making all the
arrangements you need, and if something goes wrong along the way, you'll
have a number to call, and someone to get it straight, instead of being
stranded, and talking to someone in India who you can't understand.

Old November 26th, 2008, 03:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
JimC wrote:

There are of course several on-line ticketing sites,
such as Travelocity, Expedia, etc., and also sites for the airlines we
would use, such as Continental, American, Air France. Although there
seem to be some good prices for overseas travel (in the January - March
period), I don't see any on-line sites that include prices for such
open-jaws tickets, even using the same airline both ways. -
Does anyone know of any on-line source that would provide prices and
conditions for open-jaws tickets?

Travelocity, Expedia, etc., as well as airline sites such as
Continental, American, etc. all provide prices for open-jaw tickets.
You need to select ``multiple cities'' when you do the search.

Old November 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:37:09 -0600, JimC
wrote:

We are interested in getting economy tickets to Europe next year and
would prefer an open jaws ticket arrangement that would let us arrive in
one country (e.g., Italy) and leave several weeks later from another
country (France). There are of course several on-line ticketing sites,
such as Travelocity, Expedia, etc., and also sites for the airlines we
would use, such as Continental, American, Air France. Although there
seem to be some good prices for overseas travel (in the January - March
period), I don't see any on-line sites that include prices for such
open-jaws tickets, even using the same airline both ways. - Does
anyone know of any on-line source that would provide prices and
conditions for open-jaws tickets?

Thanks,
Jim Cate

I saw in today's paper that Air France is providing a stop in Paris at
no extra cost either way in any fare category. I don't know if that
will be helpful.

Old November 27th, 2008, 02:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Neville

JimC wrote:

Does
anyone know of any on-line source that would provide prices and
conditions for open-jaws tickets?

The dumbing down of reservation systems was one of the major losses when systems
like EasySabre disappeared.

Still - you can try a site like Travelocity. I just went to the advanced search
and was able to create an open jaw ticket. Access to the rules is provided after
you select a specific flight.

I wouldn't recommend you actually buy the ticket from them though. Better to buy
directly from the airline.
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air
TEP

"Robert Neville" wrote in message

The dumbing down of reservation systems was one of the major losses when
systems
like EasySabre disappeared.

I've never used EasySabre, but I would guess that itasoftware.com does all
that it once did and more.

Old November 27th, 2008, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"TEP" wrote in message

"Robert Neville" wrote in message

The dumbing down of reservation systems was one of the major losses when
systems
like EasySabre disappeared.

I've never used EasySabre, but I would guess that itasoftware.com does all
that it once did and more.

It's a balance. ITA is undoubtedly good at winkling out cheap fares and
fare combinations. Where systems like EaasySabre have the advantage is (1)
speed of response (2) ability to view actual seat available (not simply
"there's enough for your request") (3) ability to list fares and see
conditions for those fares without having to ask for availability (means you
can see *all* the fares and then go after the cheapest knowing what class to
look for, what days and even what flights it's saleable on).

Old November 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air
TEP

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

(3) ability to list fares and see conditions for those fares without having
to ask for availability (means you can see *all* the fares and then go
after the cheapest knowing what class to look for, what days and even what
flights it's saleable on).

But, for at least the lowest-cost fare (which most people want anyway unless
they want consolidator fares), it is pretty straightforward to click on
"booking details" and then the hyperlink for "rules" under fares to see what
specific requiredments are.

Old November 28th, 2008, 02:04 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Graham Harrison" wrote...
"TEP" wrote...
"Robert Neville" wrote:
... when systems like EasySabre disappeared...

I never used EasySabre, but I would guess that...

... Where systems like EaasySabre have the...

Some of us remember Sabre, B4 it was Eaasy, and
B4 graphical web browsers, when one had to log in,
navigate and produce results with command lines.
Links were actual hyper-text, not pretty pictures.
Those were the days...