Cape Town advice

Old June 19th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Envo

Default Cape Town advice

My son (16) is going to Cape Town for about 3 weeks in the summer, on an
organised exchange visit, staying in one of the township areas. Any advice
on the best way of him accessing emergency funds? Our thoughts at the
moment are to use a UK bank a/c, which we can top up at this end, and he can
access via an ATM. Are ATM's widely distributed in the area, and is there
any preference for Visa or Mastercard?

TIA

Envo.

Old June 19th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Dave Patterson

Do you know which township he'll be in?

Old June 19th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Envo

"Dave Patterson" wrote in message
Do you know which township he'll be in?

Mitchell's Plain, Cape flatts area, I think.

Envo

Old June 20th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Dave Patterson

Here are some web sites you should see:
http://www.southafrica.net/heritage/...ells_plain.cfm
http://www.dplg.gov.za/html/progs/ur...llsProfile.htm
http://www.faranani.org.za/capeflats/tships.htm
http://www.socdev.gov.za/Statements/...gust/kaya1.htm

Your son has the chance to experience a life none of us can imagine.
Thousands of people living in a variety of housing - some in very nice
homes, some in not-so-nice-homes, some in shacks. This is an area
populated predominantly by mixed-race South Africans described
as Coloureds - Islam is the main religion, but that is nothing to fear,
despite the drumbeat of warnings about Muslims. He should be
cautious about his movements, displaying his funds and possessions.
But he is essentially safe, if he is cautious. And he will meet some
wonderful hard-working South Africans.

He will be very close to the water - False Bay. The nearest
community outside Mitchell's Plain would be Muizenburg..
The basically all-black township of Khayalitsha is adjacent
to Mitchell's Plain, and much less secure for an outsider.
His hosts will make that clear.

Old June 21st, 2004, 08:53 AM
Yahoo

Sorry,

Why do you want to go to Mitchell's Plain?

Would you advise foreigners to be exchange student to say Harlem?

Just a thought...

Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:21 AM
newkiwi

Originally posted by Envo
My son (16) is going to Cape

Town for about 3 weeks in the summer, on an
organised exchange visit,

staying in one of the township areas. Any advice
on the best way of

him accessing emergency funds? Our thoughts at the
moment are to use

a UK bank a/c, which we can top up at this end, and he can
access via

an ATM. Are ATM's widely distributed in the area, and is there
any

preference for Visa or Mastercard?

TIA

Visa and M/C both fine,

as is any ATM card linked toi Cirrus/ Maestro.

Dont know bout ATMs

in Mitchells Plain itself, Cape TOwn area has tons tho. Should be no
problem.

Be aware of credit card fraud/ scams etc however.

Envo.

Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:47 AM
Scott Elliot

Several years ago my wife could not use her bank card at ATM's in South
Africa because she had a 6 digit PIN. The South African ATM's would only
accept 4 digit PIN's so she had to actually go into the bank and talk to a
real person.

I was travelling a couple of weeks later and change my PIN to 4 digits while
still in Canada. I had no problem with my Interac card on that or
subsequent trips.

You might want to check that you PIN has only 4 digits or whether ATM's have
been change in South Africa.

Scott