To Shirley sailing with child and one parent

Old April 7th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Linsifer

Default To Shirley sailing with child and one parent

This is geared more toward the country you are planning to stop in, not so much
the actual cruiselines. I sailed with my daughter the last two years without
my husband, so for the sake of security I typed out a "permission letter" and
had my husband sign it in front of a notary. That way I was playing it safe. We
sailed to the Mexican Riviera and I believe their rule is if you plan to stay
over 24 hours which we didn't....HOWEVER, I had it on me JUST IN CASE. Cheap
insurance. I was never asked to see "proof". It was nver even brought up. I
imagine that many couples sail with their kids and only one parent chooses to
get off the ship with their child (dren). So, that being the case, there would
be a lot of confusion if every parent was asked to prove it was okay to get off
the ship with their child, even if the other parent was napping or reading a
book back on board. But, ya never know!

Bottom line: Type up a statement and have it notarized. This goes for
grandparents or any other adult talking your child on a cruise without you
there.

Lindsay

Subject: child cruise with one parent
From: This is geared more toward the country you are planning to stop in, not

so much the actual cruiselines. I sailed with my daughter the last two years
without my husband, so for the sake of security I typed out a "permission
letter" and had my husband sign it in front of a notary. That way I was playing
it safe. We sailed to the Mexican Riviera and I believe their rule is if you
plan to stay over 24 hours which we didn't....HOWEVER, I had it on me JUST IN
CASE. Cheap insurance. I was never asked to see "proof". I imagine that many
couples sail with their kids and only one parent chooses to get off the ship
with their child (dren). So, that being the case, there would be a lot of
confusion if every parent was asked to prove it was okay to get off the ship
with their child, even if the other parent was napping or reading a book back
on board.

Bottom line: Type up a statement and have it notorized. This goes for
grandparents or any other adult talking your child on a cruise.

Lindsay

webtv.net

I have heard that if a child is cruising with
only one parent that a letter signed and
notarized by the absent parent must be
presented at the time of cruise, but i am
getting conflicting info on this. Royal
Caribbean says not necessary, my TA
says necessary, and other things I've
read indicate that people have been
turned away from boarding without
this documentation. Does anyone
know for sure? Probably best to err
on the safe side, but don't want to do
it if not necessary. Thanks for any info.
Shirley