ayutthaya by train from Bangkok

Old January 31st, 2004, 09:44 AM
matt hardy

Default ayutthaya by train from Bangkok

I fancy a day trip to Ayutthaya and prefer the DIY style of travelling than
package deals, so...
I reckon it's the train from Hualamphong.
My questions, how do you get the right train, what time should I go, how
long does it take, what to do when I get off train ie tuk tuk or just tell
us anything you want to tell us. Thanks.

Matt

Old January 31st, 2004, 12:14 PM
Sandy Cruden

"matt hardy" wrote in message
. ..

I fancy a day trip to Ayutthaya and prefer the DIY style of travelling

than
package deals, so...
I reckon it's the train from Hualamphong.
My questions, how do you get the right train, what time should I go, how
long does it take, what to do when I get off train ie tuk tuk or just tell
us anything you want to tell us. Thanks.

Matt

****************************
Trains go to Ayutthaya fron BKK every hour, no need to book It takes
around 1&1/2 hours.
The departures board at Hualamphong has the destinations written in English
and there is also an enquiries counter there. When you get to the railway
station in Ayutthaya there are always motorbike tuk tuk's waiting there,
you can hire one of them to take you around the city. Negotiate a *firm*
price *before* you get in the tuk tuk. Ayutthaya is very flat and the
streets are wide, so a lot of people hire bicycles and pedal all over the
city. You can also hire a boat for a trip on the river around the perimeter
of the city. The food centre in the Lotus Supermarket complex on the edge
of town is a good cheap place to eat, go to the one with the little indoor
"floating market" where the ladies sit in the boats selling food.

Sandy
Huay Khwaang
Bangkok

Old January 31st, 2004, 12:30 PM
Sandy Cruden

"Sandy Cruden" wrote in message

"matt hardy" wrote in message
. ..

I fancy a day trip to Ayutthaya and prefer the DIY style of travelling

than
package deals, so...
I reckon it's the train from Hualamphong.
My questions, how do you get the right train, what time should I go, how
long does it take, what to do when I get off train ie tuk tuk or just

tell
us anything you want to tell us. Thanks.

Matt

****************************
Trains go to Ayutthaya fron BKK every hour, no need to book It takes
around 1 & 1/2 hours. I think the first train leaves BKK around 5 am

Sandy
Huay Khwaang
Bangkok

Old January 31st, 2004, 02:16 PM
Ron Sambridge

"matt hardy" wrote in message
. ..

I fancy a day trip to Ayutthaya and prefer the DIY style of travelling

than
package deals, so...
I reckon it's the train from Hualamphong.
My questions, how do you get the right train, what time should I go, how
long does it take, what to do when I get off train ie tuk tuk or just tell
us anything you want to tell us. Thanks.

Matt

The train from Bangkok to Ayutthaya takes about 2-hours. Once in Ayutthaya,
you could find a tour guide to take you around the most important sites.
Alternatively, travel from site-to-site by motorcycle taxi.

www.galleryres.com

Old February 4th, 2004, 04:16 AM
stephen voss

Trains go to Ayutthaya fron BKK every hour, no need to book It takes
around 1 & 1/2 hours. I think the first train leaves BKK around 5 am

The train ticket was like a dollar in 3rd class.
I would not recommend a motorcycle taxi. Tuk-tuks are fine...if you
really want to see the sights...rent one with a driver for the day, I
think you can do that for far less than $20. If you just want to shop,
hire one to take you the shopping area...and hire one to take you back.
Instead of making this a day trip I recommend instead. Going one day,
staying over in a local hotel and going on the next day.

One other city I would recommend is Lopburi...a real thai small town
with almost no tuk-tuks(the taxis are all human powered pedi-cabs!),
this city is famous for a shrines covered in Monkeys. Ive been there.
Its an hour by train from Ayutthaya. Its a real town, with real shops
and a real non-tourist market!
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:21 PM
New Geoff

"stephen voss" advised...

The train ticket was like a dollar in 3rd class.

I would not recommend a motorcycle taxi. Tuk-tuks are fine...if you
really want to see the sights...rent one with a driver for the day, I
think you can do that for far less than $20.

You'll find that the tuk-tuk drivers have an agreement with the TAT office
(at least, the red ones do) - fixed rates for certain journeys, and if you
want to tour, it's 200 Baht an hour.
When I went in December our first stop was the TAT information office - the
lady there was really helpful in planning out a half-day itinerary, and also
had a word with the driver to get my friend and I a rate of 150 Baht an
hour.

An incredible place - try not to use all your film / memory as quickly as I
did . . . .

Got some great shots, though!!

________
Geoff B

Old February 5th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Kris

very easy, bascially any train heading north at least every hour

Kris

Old February 5th, 2004, 11:14 PM
stephen voss

wrote:

I fancy a day trip to Ayutthaya and prefer the DIY style of travelling than
package deals, so...
I reckon it's the train from Hualamphong.
My questions, how do you get the right train, what time should I go, how
long does it take, what to do when I get off train ie tuk tuk or just tell
us anything you want to tell us. Thanks.

Matt

If you want a little adventure, take the third class ordinary train
from bangkok to there. An hour and a half, and you get to see local
color.
Old February 6th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Sandy Cruden

"Ron Sambridge" wrote in message

"matt hardy" wrote in message
. ..

I fancy a day trip to Ayutthaya and prefer the DIY style of travelling

than
package deals, so...
I reckon it's the train from Hualamphong.

My questions, how do you get the right train, what time should I go, how
long does it take, what to do when I get off train ie tuk tuk or just

tell
us anything you want to tell us. Thanks.

Matt

Trains go to Ayutthaya fron BKK every hour, the first one leaves early in
the am, no need to book It takes
around 1&1/2 hours.
The departures board at Hualamphong has the destinations and platform
numbers written in English
and there is also an enquiries counter there. When you get to the railway
station in Ayutthaya there are always mini buses and motorbike tuk tuk's
waiting there,
you can hire one of them to take you around the city. Negotiate a *firm*
price *before* you get in the tuk tuk, or you can get one of the minibuses
to drop you off in town.

Old February 12th, 2004, 03:07 AM
ChrisG

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:16:03 -0500, stephen voss
wrote:

Trains go to Ayutthaya fron BKK every hour, no need to book It takes
around 1 & 1/2 hours. I think the first train leaves BKK around 5 am

The train ticket was like a dollar in 3rd class.

Instead of making this a day trip I recommend instead. Going one day,
staying over in a local hotel and going on the next day.

One other city I would recommend is Lopburi...a real thai small town
with almost no tuk-tuks(the taxis are all human powered pedi-cabs!),
this city is famous for a shrines covered in Monkeys. Ive been there.
Its an hour by train from Ayutthaya. Its a real town, with real shops
and a real non-tourist market!

Agree. The ruins at Lop Buri have the added advantage of being easily
negotiable on foot at your own pace. The residences in the royal
palace are really worth a look ( Much younger than the ruins, of
course). I'll stand correcting on this but I think the building was
originally the residence of the first ever Foriegn Ambassador to
Thailand ( French ?). It contains many of King Chulalonkhorns personal
possessions , manuscripts, furniture etc.
Very much worth the trip. Just remember if you have food/drink and one
of the monkeys wants some .........give in quickly :-)

Chris.