Travelling with our AT&T-based iPhone5s

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Bill[_1_]

Default Travelling with our AT&T-based iPhone5s

On 8/9/2013 1:53 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Charles
wrote:

If they text I suggest doing that for maintaining contact for emergency
purposes. I add Global Messaging 50. For voice I usually purchase the
AT&T Europe Travel Minutes 30. I call them and give them the dates.
That way they will pro rate the fees. Those two add ons should be
sufficient for emergency purposes.

a much better way is get a free texting app. it might mean a different
number, but i'm sure they can manage that for the duration of the trip.

Will it use data? That could be much more expensive than texting.

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Bill[_1_]

On 8/9/2013 1:53 AM, nospam wrote:
In article om, JF
Mezei wrote:

You cannot disable voice/SMS roaming.

sure you can. just turn off cellular entirely.

What you can do however if you wish to be wi-fi only is to ask for a
disabled AT&T SIM cards (or one that was never activated). This way, you
can be sure AT&T cannot bill you when your phone is on in the UK since
AT&T will tell the local wireless company it does not accept the charges
for that unactivated SIM card).

no need for a disabled sim. just remove the existing sim.

however, that won't work for verizon or sprint, which don't use sims
for 3g (they do for 4g). there's nothing to remove. although there's no
cdma, it might still connect on lte, depending on what bands are in
use.

My Verizon HTC Incredible 2 is 3g, has a SIM and works overseas.

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam[_2_]

In article , Bill
wrote:

If they text I suggest doing that for maintaining contact for emergency
purposes. I add Global Messaging 50. For voice I usually purchase the
AT&T Europe Travel Minutes 30. I call them and give them the dates.
That way they will pro rate the fees. Those two add ons should be
sufficient for emergency purposes.

a much better way is get a free texting app. it might mean a different
number, but i'm sure they can manage that for the duration of the trip.

Will it use data? That could be much more expensive than texting.

it does, but that can be done over wifi.

turn off cellular on the phone and it *can't* use cellular data or
voice.
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam[_2_]

In article , Bill
wrote:

however, that won't work for verizon or sprint, which don't use sims
for 3g (they do for 4g). there's nothing to remove. although there's no
cdma, it might still connect on lte, depending on what bands are in
use.

My Verizon HTC Incredible 2 is 3g, has a SIM and works overseas.

that's because the sim is for gsm when traveling overseas. it does
nothing in the usa because verizon is cdma which does not use sims.

verizon 'world phones' have cdma for the usa and a gsm radio (with a
sim) for overseas. that's what you have.

lte does use sims, so verizon lte devices have sims for lte, but the
cdma part doesn't use it.
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam[_2_]

In article om, JF
Mezei wrote:

no need for a disabled sim. just remove the existing sim.

a real iPhone will not work without a sim in it. It needs one even if
that SIM is not activated. (the Verizon iPhone is different because it
is a CDMA one).

wrong. an iphone works perfectly fine without a sim. it will say 'no
sim' in the top corner.

for 3g (they do for 4g). there's nothing to remove. although there's no
cdma, it might still connect on lte, depending on what bands are in
use.

There are very few LTE roaming arrangements in place and I suspect
Verizon isn't ahead of anyone since it has so few customers whith
handsets they can brig outside of USA.

true but why take the chance? if it *does* roam, you'll be hit with
ridiculous fees.
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam[_2_]

In article om, JF
Mezei wrote:

verizon 'world phones' have cdma for the usa and a gsm radio (with a
sim) for overseas. that's what you have.

You still need to be careful because Verizon may have locked the GSM
portion of phone to Verizon-only SIMs.

they don't in the iphone 5. they did in the 4s, and will unlock it for
international travel.
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Doug Anderson

JF Mezei writes:

On 13-08-09 12:37, nospam wrote:

wrong. an iphone works perfectly fine without a sim. it will say 'no
sim' in the top corner.

Since when ? While one can remove a SIM while the phone has alreayd
been turned on, my experience is that when you turn on a phone, there
must be a sim card installed otherwise it goes into emergency mode that
only lets you dil 911 or something.

Not my experience at all. If you are setting up a new phone, you need
a sim. But if you have a working iPhone and take the sim out, it will
work perfectly well for non-phone purposes (though obviously you'll be
limited to using WIFI to connect to the outside world).
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam[_2_]

In article om, JF
Mezei wrote:

wrong. an iphone works perfectly fine without a sim. it will say 'no
sim' in the top corner.

Since when ?

since the very first iphone.

While one can remove a SIM while the phone has alreayd
been turned on, my experience is that when you turn on a phone, there
must be a sim card installed otherwise it goes into emergency mode that
only lets you dil 911 or something.

your experience is unusual.
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Zaidy036

On 8/9/2013 4:06 AM, Lewis wrote:
In message m
Gary wrote:
In a few weeks we go on a cruise vacation. We fly from the USA to
London and spend a couple of days in London (hopefully sleeping off the
jet lag), then on to an 11-day cruise around the British Isles (Ireland
and Scotland, no Wales), followed immediately by a flight back to the
USA.

We'd like to be able to maintain contact with our adult children for
emergency purposes. We have no experience using telephones overseas.

Your best bet is to install something like Skype on your iPhone and use
that to send free1 text messages.

And what sort of emergency are you foreseeing? You're ging to be with a
cruise most of the time, they have ways of contacting and being
contacted if it is a *real* emergency. If you have a real emergency in
the other time, then you're online and can find Internet somewhere.

1 Free when you have WiFi access, which you probably will when in
port, or can get when in port with a little effort.

There are several free tel systems that work on i-Fi.

One I use is Viber which works great if both parties have joined.

Old August 10th, 2013, 02:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam[_2_]

In article , Lewis
wrote:

No. You need a SIM to ACTIVATE a phone, and that is a required step in
the iOS 5 installation process (or was that added in iOS 6, I forget).

false for both. i've activated an iphone 4 with ios 5 and an iphone 4s
with ios 6, without a sim.

it will bitch about it, but it won't prevent you from proceeding.

It doesn't have to be a valid SIM. Once the OS is installed, you do not
need a SIM unless you are updating to a new major version of iOS (so,
6.0, but not 6.1 or 6.1.3).

don't need one then either.