7E7

Old October 20th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Lou Minatti

Default 7E7

I just stumbled across Boeing's "mass public" marketing web site for
the 7E7:

http://www.newairplane.com

It's an interesting web site to spend a few minutes. If Boeing does
build it I think the 7E7 will be the most visually attractive
commercial airliner of all time. It's a stunner. (Leaving out the
Concorde, which was never practical.)

To me, this plane should be an enormous winner for Boeing. It seems
that Boeing finally "gets it". But I question the competence of
Boeing's current management, at least when it comes to commercial
aviation. Do Condit and his cronies have the stones to make this work,
or is this more window dressing? They screwed up bad with the Sonic
Cruiser. They've lost tremendous market share to Airbus and have quit
serving a big chunk of the commercial market. They never even tried to
compete in the RJ business.

IMO, the 7E7 is Boeing's last chance. If it succeeds, they'll be on
top again. If not, they'll no longer be in the business.
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Estro Gene

Lou Minatti wrote:
http://www.newairplane.com

It's an interesting web site to spend a few minutes. If Boeing does
build it I think the 7E7 will be the most visually attractive
commercial airliner of all time. It's a stunner. (Leaving out the
Concorde, which was never practical.)

Has Boeing decided on the cross sesction of the fuselage yet ? Will it be a
767 with 2-3-2 or will it be an airbus with 2-4-2 ?

I think that the comestic appearance of the plane can't be known until t the
very least the cross section has been decided.

And while I have no problem beleiving that Boeing can make the 7E7 20% more
efficient than old 767s, I suspect the performance difference with more
modern Airbus aircraft will be somewhat less. But Boeing should still get some
advantage because of newer technology. By the time the 7E7 comes out, the 330
and 340 will be about 15 years old.

Other than that, unless Boeing does something trememndously different with
interior design, one can expect rows of seats, overhead bins, a galley or two,
toilets, much of it configurable by the airline.

In terms of changes to the cabin, the A340-500 configured by Singapore will
have significant changes (lounge for coach pax). The 340-600s operated by
Virgin will have the fornicating bedrooms downstairs. The A380 will have seats
wide enough to have their own armrests and lots of "wasted" space for the
grand staircase, giving a more roomy feeling.

But for the 7E7, if it has the same cross section as the 767, there really
isn't much Boeing could do to make the interior dramatically different from
the 767, and airlines won't have such great flexibility in making interior
arrangements that are really cool.
Old October 20th, 2003, 04:16 AM
Raymond Chuang

"Estro Gene" wrote in message
Has Boeing decided on the cross sesction of the fuselage yet ? Will it be

767 with 2-3-2 or will it be an airbus with 2-4-2 ?

It's definitely going to be wider than the 767, mostly because Boeing has
designed the 7E7 to be able to carry two LD3 cargo containers side-by-side.
I've heard they've pretty much settled on a fuselage width just only slight
less than the 777.

--
Raymond Chuang
Sacramento, CA USA

Old October 21st, 2003, 01:51 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Doghouse Riley wrote:

From the 7E7 website: "The 7E7 will: Redefine cabin comfort - it will restore
the magic of flight."

Hoo-hah. Wait till the USAir and Southwest seat pitch guys are done with it!

While I echo your sentiments, SWA is actuallyone of the better airlines for
domestic coach seat pitch. Try America West for tight seating....