Another Bermuda question

Old July 27th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Sue and Dave

Default Another Bermuda question

Hi All,
Thanks for all the great information that I asked you in a previous email.

What ship would you go on if you went to Bermuda again?

Since I am going for the first time and may not be back, what is a "must
see" in Bermuda?

What is a good shopping area that is inexpensive? Where is the best place
to buy booze?

Thanks in advance,
Sue

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Mark K - SF

See below...

"Sue and Dave" wrote in message
What ship would you go on if you went to Bermuda again?

Assuming that my budget limitations don't allow a Raddison ship, I'd choose
Zenith. I still like her, and her itinerary is the best. (Big ships are
stuck at the boring, hot, remote Dockyeard, Empress of the Seas has cabins
that are too small)

Since I am going for the first time and may not be back, what is a "must
see" in Bermuda?

No big "must sees" for us (especially since we're not beach bums) - but
thoroughly enjoyed St Georges, and the Botanical Gardens and the Crystal
Caves were wirthwhile

What is a good shopping area that is inexpensive? Where is the best place
to buy booze?

I don't think that an inexpensive shopping area exists in Bermuda (although
decent prices on British goods are possible) I'm sure someone else on rtc
will have the 411 on booze.

Mark

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Tom & Linda

"Sue and Dave" wrote in message
Hi All,
Thanks for all the great information that I asked you in a previous email.

What ship would you go on if you went to Bermuda again?

Since I am going for the first time and may not be back, what is a "must
see" in Bermuda?

What is a good shopping area that is inexpensive?

Since Bermuda is an island surrounded by like a thousand mile of ocean in
every direction, everything excpet maybe onions, is imported, either by ship
or by plane.

Pretty much everything there is expensive. But also very ritzy.

--Tom

Where is the best place
to buy booze?
Thanks in advance,
Sue

Old July 27th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Sue and Dave wrote:

What ship would you go on if you went to Bermuda again?

I would go on the Zenith or it's sister ship the Horizon, they do the
same itin, but in reverse. I would take the Zenith because it has a
whirlpool, which is important to me. If you don't care about the
whirlpool, then take the Horizon which has the advantage of being docked
in Hamilton when they have the street fair.

Since I am going for the first time and may not be back, what is a "must
see" in Bermuda?

The beaches, which I will let someone else tell you about. I would eat
out at least one meal in one of the pubs, we like the Frog and Onion in
the dockyard. In St George there is a pub right by the water, walk into
town and turn right at the gas station. It is nice at night with a view
of some ships and of the water.

What is a good shopping area that is inexpensive?

Most of the shopping in Bermuda isn't cheap. There are some local
artists that have some nice, local prints. Then you might want to look
at the crafts fair in the Dockyard for some local crafts and interesting
things. There is also a glass blowing shop in the Dockyard, you can
watch them blowing the glass and then of course you can buy some of what
they make. Right next to the glass blowing place, is the rum cake
factory with free samples.

sue

Old July 27th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Rosalie B.

"Sue and Dave" wrote:

Hi All,
Thanks for all the great information that I asked you in a previous email.

What ship would you go on if you went to Bermuda again?

Since I am going for the first time and may not be back, what is a "must
see" in Bermuda?

Most people seem to do the beaches, and there is also golf. What is
one person's "must see" is another person's Ho-Hum. There is a wide
variety of things to chose from in Bermuda.

I like the following things in no particular order:

-BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo
-Bermuda Maritime Museum (Dockyard)
-St. Peter's Church (St. George - free)
-Ft. St. Catherine (St. George)
-Somer's Garden (St. George - free)
-Par-la-Ville Park (Hamilton - free)
-King's Square (St. George - free)
-Bermuda Botanical Gardens (I think it is free and there's a lunch
place there) and the Governor's house
-Town Hall -St George - they show a film about Bermuda history and I
think it is free
-St. George Historical Society Museum
-Bermuda Railway Trail and Museum (walking the trail is free)
-Somerset Bridge -free
-The BIrdcage (Hamilton - free)
-Carriage House Museum (St. George- free)
-Spittal Pond

Other people like these things better than I do: (also in no
particular order)

- Climbing Gibb's Hill LIghthouse (bad knees) I think they also serve
tea there
- Bermuda National Trust Museum (St George)
- Perot Post Office (Hamilton - not THAT Perot)
- Bermuda Historical Society Museum - Hamilton
-Bermuda Heritage Museum
-Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity - Hamilton
-Crystal Caves and Leamington Caves
-Deliverance - replica of the ship that took the shipwrecked explorers
to Virginia
-Bermuda Arts Centre
-Bermuda Glass Blowing Studio

I have no opinion on:
- Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute
-Tucker House Museum (St. George)
- Unfinished Cathedral (St. George)
- Hamilton City Hall and Arts Center (Hamilton)
- Bermuda Perfumery and Gardens
-Bermuda National Gallery - Hamilton
-Old State House - St. George
-Sessions House - Hamilton
- Old Rectory - St. Georges
-Gates Fort -St George
-Ordnance Island - St. George
-Natural Arches
-St David's LIghthouse
-Ft. Hamilton
-Featherbed Alley Printery (St. George)
-Martello Tower
-Ft. George

What is a good shopping area that is inexpensive? Where is the best place
to buy booze?

I don't know about booze. My husband used to bring back as much as
allowed every time he went out on the ship (USN) and we don't drink,
so we've still got most of it. The most famous Bermuda rum seems to be
Goslings Black Seal

Shopping. - as others have noted - Bermuda is not cheap. Figure out
what you might like to get and price it here before you go.

Dockyard - there is the Bermuda Craft Market which is in what was the
Cooperage (they made barrels) Candles, cedar work, ceramics, Christmas
ornaments, jewelry, miniature furniture, quilts, wearable art, dolls,
paintings, glass blown images, models of the Bermuda buses, etc. I
got a nice Bermuda bag for my mom and clothes for my grandchildren.

There is also a kind of mall at the Dockyard in what used to be The
Great Eastern Storehouse. It has a tide clock on it. There is also a
lunch place there and a variety of boutiques and stores in the
cobblestoned mall. Everything from artwork to crystal, perfume to
Cuban cigars, photography to funky clothing, gifts and souvenirs,
books, T-shirts, and jewelry. There is also a place where you can
look up tartans and family crests I think.

In Hamilton there are various department stores like Triminghams. At
those places, the British goods are the best buys - things like Irish
sweaters, linens and crystal, yarn, kilts, cashmere, Icelandic
woolens, hats, scarves, Royal Worcester, Royal Doulton, Wedgwood,
Lladró, Aynsley, Goebel- Hummel, Coalport and Waterford. Danish
flatware is also a good buy, as are Wedgwood figurines, tableware and
ovenware etc. Swiss watches are also supposed to be a good buy

There is also a shop where you can buy items in a particular tartan -
I got my husband a wool tie in his mother's family's tartan.

There are perfumes manufactured on the island which can also be
purchased in the department stores, in addition to European and
American perfumes.

Locally manufactured resort wear doesn't count toward the duty free
exemption.

As someone has mentioned, there is a glass blowing place and also a
pottery.

grandma Rosalie
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:02 AM

It only rains when i go there, so you're safe! I will never again take a
Bermuda Cruise!

BILL