African Doctors

Old February 28th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Graham W

Default African Doctors

"Graham W" wrote:
These are educated people that Australia gets for free.

VH-CBR wrote:
and yet, wasn't the figure quoted as 500,000 on our dole?
From a country of 5, 000,000 that's interesting figures.

No it's not.
It's a number you have plucked out of the air and "suggested" so that if
you're actually called on to provide a source you can deny it.

Come back with some real figures if you want to be taken seriously. You
could start with really easy stuff like the population of New Zealand
and the number of New Zealand citizens in Australia, with urls to
suitable sources. Until then, I see no point at all in discussing these
fictions.

You people seem to have some bizarre obsession with keeping
"freeloaders" out, even if they happen to be very good for Australia.

Freeloaders are never good for a country

And you still haven't explained what a freeloader is?
An educated immigrant who arrives and works and pays taxes?

I'm absolutely staggered at the blatant bull**** and hostility I'm
seeing here directed at New Zealand by apparently normal sensible
Australians.

If you can get so upset about New Zealand, how do you all feel about
anyone who's skin colour or culture is actually different?

Obviously it is time Tasmanians were cut loose to fend for themselves.
They're not like us you know. And they certainly do benefit from
subsidies from the rest of Australia.
Old February 28th, 2004, 03:13 AM
VH-CBR

"Alan" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:32:28 GMT, "VH-CBR" wrote:

There are people who actually want to be Merkins?
Interesting and kinky concept.

I don't think so, but the Merkins seem to think there are

Check your dictionary :-)

http://www.dictionary.com it has 2 meanings, they appear to be
interchangeable.

)

Old February 28th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Graham W

"Graham W" wrote:
Free loader?
How am I freeloading?

VH-CBR wrote:
I felt his points were well made, try re-reading his post and you'll
have answered your own question. why make him retype the same thing
over again when it was so clearly stated.

He's completely failed to explain how I am freeloading by failing to pay
up $100 or so (which no locally born citizen pays) to become a citizen,
whilst paying exactly the same taxes and receiving exactly the same
benefits as any citizen.

So what? Life is about community .. you appear to think it's about you.

No.
But I don;t think it's about meaningless ceremonies.

and yet you choose to live here and insult the citizens of this country
by suggesting it's not good enough for you to want to be a permanent
part of.

I am a permanent part. It's called a permanent resident's visa. And I
have never suggested it wasn't good enough for anything.

Can you not understand that this is not about Australia, it is about
citizenship.

I see no value in taking out citizenship.

My presence in Australia is as much an accident of fate as yours.

Really? and yet you choose not to rectify that.

What is there to rectify?
I'm happy living here. This is where my life is. I just don't see any
point in nationalistic proclamations and bull****.

I simply cited myself as a case to prove

(sic, should be disprove)
someone's silly claim that the world consists of people who are
Australian and people who want to be Australian.

I thought it was a world that consisted of Merkins and people who
wanted to be Merkins

Shudder!
Have you been there?

But clearly the fact that you are here and have no intention of going
elsewhere contradicts your statement. You are, as you say, in your
mind, an Australian ..

No, I'm not. And all my life at various times people like you lot have
reminded me why I don;t want to ask permission to be one of you and to
swear allegiance to you.

Because what I most certainly am not is the sort of person who thinks
that 10% of New Zealand is on the dole in Australia or that any person
who has the wrong acent is a freeloader.

therefore there are Australians (us) and people who want to be
Australian (you) as seen by your decision to remain in this country
when you could easily be elsewhere. Thus I suspect you proved the
point for the opposition.

If you insist on putting me into one of these categories then you'd
better put me down as already Australia under your system, because I
certainly am not in any hurry to become anything I am not already.

And if by Australian you mean permanantly resident here, (and not an
Aussie citizen permanently resident abroad), then I guess I happily
concede that I'm an aussie. But since the nationalistic nutters who
place such great value on citizenship go to such great trouble to make
me feel an outsider from time to time, I have no interest in joining
them.

But if you mean a citizen of the Commonwealth of Australia, well, we've
done that to death already.
Old February 28th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Graham W

"Graham W" wrote:
I am a citizen of two other countries, one of which I lived in until I
was five, the other of which I have visited for a total of perhaps 4
weeks of my life. My home is Australia, and I don't need a certificate
from the government to prove it.

VH-CBR wrote:
Clearly your home isn't Australia then.

Let's face it, it wouldn't prove anything anyway, any more than a
marriage licence proves spouses won't stray, since all I have to do is
pay my money and say the right things.

Lack of morality, lack of loyalty, lack of patriotism ... people like
that are quite pathetic.

I don't go to church either.
Old February 28th, 2004, 08:35 AM
VH-CBR

"Graham W" wrote in message
"Graham W" wrote:
These are educated people that Australia gets for free.

No it's not.
It's a number you have plucked out of the air and "suggested" so that if
you're actually called on to provide a source you can deny it.

wow .. i've never met a true psychic before..... pity that like so many
before you, you use assumption as fact ;o)

Come back with some real figures if you want to be taken seriously. You
could start with really easy stuff like the population of New Zealand
and the number of New Zealand citizens in Australia, with urls to
suitable sources. Until then, I see no point at all in discussing these
fictions.

Na, i'll pass on that because your first paragraph has shown what sort of
person you are .. and really, the sport is in prodding the fools ...

And you still haven't explained what a freeloader is?

Don't own a dictionary huh?

An educated immigrant who arrives and works and pays taxes?

Now why would I do all your work for you ... Mind you, i've not seen
that as any explaination for freeloader ... but clearly you're telling the
story here and what other people have typed appears to be irrelevant to your
agenda.

I'm absolutely staggered at the blatant bull**** and hostility I'm
seeing here directed at New Zealand by apparently normal sensible
Australians.

Really? That's interesting .. because last time I was in New Zealand I
thought the exact same thing about them.

If you can get so upset about New Zealand, how do you all feel about
anyone who's skin colour or culture is actually different?

Different to what?

Obviously it is time Tasmanians were cut loose to fend for themselves.
They're not like us you know. And they certainly do benefit from
subsidies from the rest of Australia.

Seems that not only do you like to tell us what we are thinking, you like to
generalise ... perhaps a more mature outlook to the conversation might be
called for?

Old February 28th, 2004, 08:51 AM
VH-CBR

"Graham W" wrote in message
"Graham W" wrote:

He's completely failed to explain how I am freeloading by failing to pay
up $100 or so (which no locally born citizen pays) to become a citizen,
whilst paying exactly the same taxes and receiving exactly the same
benefits as any citizen.

Actually, you are incorrect. You simply failed to comprehend or accept what
he wrote. He did set it out and whether you agree or not he did make the
statement.

Personally, I find your attitude to the country I live in and love to be
appallingly arrogant and ignorant. Your attitude to patriotism is just
beyond belief and quite frantly, I would join the suggestion that you
consider *going home*. But for different reasons than the ones he posted.

All to often we are seeing anti-Australian behaviour in those who have come
over here, or are 1st generation .. violence in the name of some overseas
issue and so forth, I happen to think it's the lack of patriotism and
country pride that is behind most of that behaviour. So I feel that you
should love where you live or find somewhere to live that you love, and if
you loved where you lived you'd want to be a citizen.

Seems sort of selfish to me to want the "best of both worlds".

No.
But I don;t think it's about meaningless ceremonies.

And we're aware of your opinion already, clearly there are those of us out
here who disagree with you. I certainly don't think the ceremony is without
meaning, but the fact that you do says a lot about your personality, and IMO
it's not positive.

I am a permanent part. It's called a permanent resident's visa. And I
have never suggested it wasn't good enough for anything.

Yes you have, and as an Australian citizen I take offense at your very
public insulting of my patriotic view of my country.

Can you not understand that this is not about Australia, it is about
citizenship.

Incorrect, it's about Patriotism and country pride. Citizenship is merely
an affirmation of these things. The country is good enough for you to live
in, but not good enough for you to become a citizen. Interesting.

I see no value in taking out citizenship.

I'm aware of that, and I see no value in you living here if you feel that
way.

What is there to rectify?

I'm happy living here. This is where my life is. I just don't see any
point in nationalistic proclamations and bull****.

Yes, you want to enjoy the country as it is today, without the
acknowledgement of those who have gone before and did what is necessary to
make it what it is today. Pity isn't it, that it isn't the wonderful place
it used to be .. and that's because of people who don't have the patriotic
pride in the country than those who lived before us.

Shudder!
Have you been there?

Yes, and whilst I understand why they think they live in the best country in
the world I know they are wrong )

No, I'm not. And all my life at various times people like you lot have
reminded me why I don;t want to ask permission to be one of you and to
swear allegiance to you.

You keep telling yourself that, but the very fact that you remain here
belies your statement. By the way, i've never asked anyone to swear
allegiance to me.

Because what I most certainly am not is the sort of person who thinks
that 10% of New Zealand is on the dole in Australia or that any person
who has the wrong acent is a freeloader.

You are combining the comments of 2 distinct individuals there. Remember
who you are speaking with. At no time did I ever suggest anything the
meaning of freeloader.

If you insist on putting me into one of these categories then you'd
better put me down as already Australia under your system, because I
certainly am not in any hurry to become anything I am not already.

You aren't anything already really are you? Your not Australian, your not
British (assuming that's what you were alluding to earlier) .. you're sort
of lost in the middle, wanting the best of all worlds but committing to
none.

And if by Australian you mean permanantly resident here, (and not an
Aussie citizen permanently resident abroad), then I guess I happily
concede that I'm an aussie. But since the nationalistic nutters who
place such great value on citizenship go to such great trouble to make
me feel an outsider from time to time, I have no interest in joining
them.

and a snob to boot eh? )

But if you mean a citizen of the Commonwealth of Australia, well, we've
done that to death already.

Has it? or are you just sick of the fact that others don't agree with you?

Old February 28th, 2004, 08:52 AM
VH-CBR

"Graham W" wrote in message
"Graham W" wrote:

I don't go to church either.

again, this isn't Merka ...

Old February 28th, 2004, 09:25 PM
VH-CBR

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BC660541.213BE%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...

'Merkins think?

Hmmm.. valid point ....

)

Old February 29th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Graham

"VH-CBR" wrote in message

"Graham W" wrote in message
"Graham W" wrote:
These are educated people that Australia gets for free.

No it's not.
It's a number you have plucked out of the air and "suggested" so that if
you're actually called on to provide a source you can deny it.

wow .. i've never met a true psychic before..... pity that like so

many
before you, you use assumption as fact ;o)

mate, this is a NG..its chocka with psychics

gra