That oxymoron in the mentality of the European surfaces again. Freehealth care is an innate right but one must pay to pee

Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_4_]

Default That oxymoron in the mentality of the European surfaces again. Free health care is an innate right but one must pay to pee

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 00:34:03 GMT, "James Silverton"
wrote:

Martin wrote on Mon, 02 Mar 2009 00:09:21 +0100:

James Silverton wrote:
S wrote on Sun, 01 Mar 2009 16:50:46 -0500:

Pay toilets with coin-in-the-slot locks used to be common
in British railroad stations. I remember when I had a
summer job as a porter in a station and, as the junior
employee, I had to help empty the coin boxes. I resented
it of course since it took me away from collecting tips
:-) I have a feeling that somehow the payment was turned
into a civil rights issue and toilets don't charge now.

A number of UK stations have pay toilets, but rather than a
coin box on each stall, you pay to enter the premises, so
only one box to empty.

Don't older British people still use the phrase "spend a
penny" to mean using the toilet? The coin boxes I remember
were operated by those great big British pennies.

My Mother still uses that phrase!
The coin slot at the toilets at Inverness railway station
takes 20pence - 4 shillings in old money.

The cost to use the public toilets in Whitby is 40p

Interesting, based on the CPI, if the toilet cost 1 penny in 1960, the
cost should now be 16 pennies. But 16 old pennies would be about 7
current pence. You are being took!

Not really what is provided is far superior and clean, compared to what
you
would have found in 1960. In 1960 the average salary was under GBP1K
nowadays it
is around GBP24K. A pint of beer cost one shilling and is now far more
than 40
shillings in most places.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/promo...2009-new-deal/
--
JohnT

Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Donna Evleth[_1_]

From: "James Silverton"
Newsgroups: alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:19:00 GMT
Subject: That oxymoron in the mentality of the European surfaces again.
Free health care is an innate right but one must pay to pee

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote on Sun, 01 Mar 2009
14:09:31 -0700:

From: "PJ O'Donovan"
Newsgroups: alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:17:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: That oxymoron in the mentality of the European surfaces
again. Free health care is an innate right but one must pay
to pee

That oxymoron in the mentality of the European surfaces
again. Free health care is an innate right but one must pay
to pee

I don't ever remember an attendant with a coin saucer in Britain and
first saw such in France.

You may not see one again. They seem to be a disappearing species. I can't
remember seeing them in the airports on my last few trips, and airports and
train stations were their last bastions.

Donna Evleth

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:54 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Donna Evleth[_1_]

From: "PJ O'Donovan"
Newsgroups: alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:24:26 -0800 (PST)
Free health care is an innate right but one must pay to pee

Oh my. I was in Germany in November 2008. I visited the cities of
Frankfurt am Mein.......

Donna Evleth

Did you go to a Chinese restaurant and have chow "Main" when you
visited Frankfurt am "Mein", Ms Donna?

I apologize for the spelling error. How nice that you have decided to
become a spelling Nazi. The answer to your question is, no, I did not go to
a Chinese restaurant in Frankfurt. I went to a place that served wurst. It
was not sublime, but it was not the wurst I ever had.

Donna Evleth

Frankfurt am Main
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Frankfurt am Main is located in Germany

De-Frankfurt_am_Main-pronunciation.ogg Frankfurt am Main (help·info)
(German: [?f?a?kf??t?], English: [?f?ę?kf??t]) is the largest city in
the German state of Hesse and the fifth-largest city in
Germany,......

I seem to have missed a lot:-)

Donna Evleth

Sounds like you did if you didn't learn how to spell the name of the
place after you claim to have been there.

If I had mispelled it your many surrogates who constantly come to your
rescue here would claim that is "proof" I really hadn't been there.

LOL.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Donna Evleth" wrote in message

You may not see one again. They seem to be a disappearing species. I
can't
remember seeing them in the airports on my last few trips, and airports
and
train stations were their last bastions.

They never did catch on in the UK.

Plenty in Holland though...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PatTX[_2_]

Default The idiot is now a racist bigot, too.

Jean ::
:: This is too funny...if it weren't so sad...
:: It starts with correcting a false statement about Obama winning
:: "overwhelmingly" with proof to:

Obama received 365 electoral votes, and McCain 173. That's twice as much,
Jean. That's an overwhelming victory.

Popular vote...That is counting EVERY person's vote and was 52.9% for Obama.

Oh, excuse me. I was thinking of the 2000 election that Al Gore won where
your George Bush supporters claimed a victory because of the electoral
college (well, that and the Supreme Court). Still, Obama got more than 9
million votes than John McCain. That's overwhelming!

:: 1. Wishing death and exile to the Republican Party of Texas.

These are your exact words! See the words overwhelming and die???

" Are you for real? Did you step out of the 1880's or something? He
:::: wasn't "pushed over the top" he was overwhelmingly elected and
:::: sent your white male GOP into exile as a regional Southern-based
:::: party. Where it will die."

Where in there is the "wishing" part? Having a bit of trouble with reading
comprehension, are you?

I didn't wish them anything. The GOP is in exile. The Republican Party in
Texas is waning: they even lost Dallas!

:: 2. Accusing me of listening to Rush Limbaugh...which I don't.

You must; you are using his exact talking points.

So you know it all....whom I listen to better than I...Give me a break!

Jean, I didn't say I knew it all. I said you were using his exact talking
points. That is a "tell."

:: 3. Accusing me of being a Republican when I am an Independent.

You are following their party line exactly. BTW: which primary election
did
you vote in? I thought so.

Independents think for themselves...we don't follow blindly and believe
everything..

Funny, but you didn't answer the question.

:: 4. Calling me names such as racist and bigot

Ah, I merely asked you if you were a racist and bigot. From your posts,
you
most certainly are.

You implied as much by even asking me that. And who made you an authority
as to what I am or what I think? Just because I don't think exactly as you
do... that makes me a bigot and a racist?

You implied that you were because you followed an extremely bigoted and
racist original post and you did not differ with anything that was posted.
That usually means you agree with what he posted or else you would have
posted an exception. Instead, you posted a bunch of meaningless statistics
in an effort to bolster his case. You followed in lockstep with the bigot
and racist, ergo....

because I posted
:: facts which they totally ignore and instead go on a name calling
:: spree. It is tough to face the truth, ladies, but you cannot ignore
:: it when it actually exists.

Here is a fact for you: Black people in America are between 12 and 13% of
the population. Were every single one to vote for Obama, he would still
need
a majority of white people to get elected. But, not every black person
voted
for Obama, according to your "facts" and yet he still was elected!

They are not "my facts"...I did not make them up...you just cannot accept
the truth.
Try reading them instead of implying they are made up by me.

But, that's what I did. You posted that black people voted 65% for Obama.
When that population is only 12% of the total, your statistics are
misleading and disingenuous, and far from the "truth." You accepted the
falsity of assuming that Hispanic American voters are only voting Democratic
so as to open the borders to anyone and everyone. A little reading on the
matter would have disabused you of that opinion. You tried to make us
believe that illegal immigrants are flooding the voting system and that is
patently false. These are things that bigots and racists do, Jean.

But Democrats are good at that plus
:: calling names..

Did you not read that your co-poster who agrees with you on everything
called Obama and the people who voted for him names? You can dish it out
but not take it, eh?

I have no co-poster...I've posted statistics....apparently they are
difficult for you to accept. And find one single post that I resorted to
calling names...

Once again, when the original poster put forth some hateful ideas and you
did nothing to show that you opposed or refuted those ideas, they then also
apply to you. If you want to be "independant" you have to stake out and
independant train of thought and not simply piggyback on the original poster
with your misleading statistics and anecdotes.

.Evelyn called Sarah Palin the" Wicked Witch of the
:: North."..How sad...what has Sarah Palin ever done to you? She is a
:: beautiful mother of five who speaks from the heart instead of the
:: monster that the media portrays her to be.

Baloney...NBC and CBS with Katie Couric tried to portray her in the worst
way as someone who she is not. Just because you don't like her party
affiliation, doesn't mean she is not a decent, intelligent person...Biden
(who by the way is from my home town) has made so many embarrassing goofs
and is such a loose cannon... but he gets away with it.

Katie Couric only asked normal questions. It was up to Sarah Palin to
respond. At every opportunity, Sarah Palin showed that she is not a decent,
intelligent person. Those interviews were her own words; the speeches she
gave were written for her by someone else. You cannot have it both ways,
saying she is intelligent and they were portraying her "in the worst way"
when they were not portraying her at all. They were asking questions and it
was up to her to tell them the answers. Her answers embarrassed her and her
supporters. That is why you are so defensive about Sarah Palin. Every time
Joe Biden makes a gaff, he is called on it. Here again, you are showing your
party bias. The press and radio/television people show him in his mistakes.
You are claiming "he gets away with it" but if that is so, how on earth did
you ever hear of his mistakes? They were so busy ignoring him that you in
San Antonio found out about it but no one else did?

Read what she says, Jean. She is not intelligent. She thinks foreign
experience is "seeing Russia from Alaska!"

The media doesn't portray her as a monster. It portrays her as she is. It
lets her speak for herself. And it is her mouth that has brought on
ridicule. What has she ever done to you? She has tried to be a heartbeat
away from the office of the presidency, the most powerful job we have. She
is unqualified for that and she knows it. Blind ambition is simply not
enough, Jean. The person who is elected has to have some brains. It would
be
better if she would speak from...brains.

Apparently you were not listening with an open mind or you would know
better.

I have followed all of her expeditions into the political arena. I think it
is you who does not have the open mind. How are you dismissing all of her
gaffs, mean-spirited remarks, and poor English? Is the media making up her
inability to construct a coherent sentence?

Is it because she is so
:: attractive and intelligent that it threatens you? Why else would
:: you paint her in a despicable way?

Oh yeah, that's it! The Republicans enjoy a 22% approval rating because
people are jealous of Sarah Palin. Follow what she says, Jean. Read up on
the ethics lapses in Alaska. She even billed the state for per diem while
she was at home---a mere 30 miles from the state capital. Get a clue on
who
this lady is---it's more than skin deep.

I have family LIVING in Alaska....their opinions matter more to me than
yours...they LIVE there and know much more than you.

Her approval rating in Alaska is dropping faster than a rock. Instead of
asking your family members, read up on what shenanigans Sarah has been up to
lately. Or, do you have a closed mind and only want to hear things that make
you feel better?

Why haven't you gone after ALL
:: those cabinet appointees who have not paid their taxes for years
:: because, *they forgot*

Their taxes were a little more complicated than that. This is why I think
you listen to Rush Limbaugh...or Mark Davis...or Sean Hannity. Bill
O'Reilly is too smart to come up with that "forgot to pay taxes"stuff.
Don't you think these men have CPAs who do their taxes? They don't sit
down
with TurboTax and do taxes! Blame their CPAs for not knowing what is what.

OH SURE , if you are a Democrat, your taxes all the sudden become more
complicated.. The rest of us who have to use accountants don't seem to have
that problem....and yes, I use an accountant...but I file mine on time and
make sure the information I give him is true and complete. So stop making
excuses for them...if it were an Independent or a Republican...Oy Vey...the
scandal!!! Laws are made for the rest of us...not members of congress...

It wasn't that information that was inaccurate; it was the tax law that was
not straightforward. Did you have a driver and car donated for your use? Do
you know the all tax laws involving that? Who files and what it is called,
etc? I thought not.

Try this:
http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/20...mark_geithner/

It explains that Tim Geithner was doing work for the International Money
Fund. His tax accountant did not understand that Mr. Geithner had to declare
the money paid to him for his work should be filed as if he were a sole
proprietor of a business.

And those who decline cabinet positions
:: because vetting would show that they have been involved with shady
:: deals.

You can prove this alligation? How?

Does Bill Richardson of New Mexico ring a bell?

My point is that Bill Richardson is innocent until proven guilty. Or have
you Republicans not thought of that? Right now, there is only an allegation
of "shady deals" and an allegation is not proof.

Our Secretary of Treasury and head of IRS who neglected to
:: pay his taxes for four years is now taking care of our money and put
:: in charge to make sure we pay our taxes. They should vet the entire
:: congress and see how many others are not paying their taxes while
:: wanting to raise ours? ALL members of Congress.

Oh yeah, that's straight out of Rush's mouth. Or maybe Mark Davis. He's
just
as loony.

You must listen to Rush Limbaugh a lot since you quote him so much...I
don't...and I don't even know who Mark Davis is.

Yes, I listen to Rush, and Mark Davis, and Sean Hannity, Don Beck, and Bill
O'Reilly. I also listen to Rachel Maddow, Keith Olbermann, Jon Stewart and
Stephen Colbert. You really must open your mind, more, Jean.

::
:: Obama is my president. No, I did not vote for him, but I respect his
:: office and you will not find me calling him names or saying hateful
:: things about him as you both did about George Bush when he was
:: president....I pray for him, I wish him well...It is important for
:: him to succeed because it is for the good of our country... I will
:: criticize him if/when he does something that I disagree with but I
:: will NOT do it in a hateful name calling way.
::
:: --Jean

Now, you are saying that I did something I did not do! You are calling me
names, Jean! Prove that I said hateful things about George Bush! Oh,
that's
right; you cannot.

Pat in TX

LOL! I don't come here often, but when I do, I have NEVER heard you say a
nice thing about anyone! You ridiculed George Bush every chance you got
even posting that his neighbors were not happy about living near him when he
came back to Houston to live.

Proof, Jean, proof. You see, Republicans exist for allegations. Jean,
George Bush does not live in Houston. He lives in Dallas. Can't you even get
your allegations straight?

Enough is Enough! This is RTE...and supposed to be about travel in Europe.
I usually come here for information when traveling to Europe...I don't come
here to criticize my country and air dirty linen...My computer has dumped
all my mail from here from Feb.28th on...I don't intend to spar with you
anymore...it's futile....you always have an excuse for someone in your party
when they are caught doing something wrong...I'm with Joe Lieberman...he
seems to be the most level headed one in Congress right now. So you won't
see me responding to your posts from now on. This is not the place to be
doing this anyway.

--Jean

Oh, yes. Now that you have proven how open-minded you are and how
well-informed, etc. Many allegations but no proof and now you take the
coward's way out. BTW: I am not in any party! I am an Independent. However,
it's apparent I am a more-informed Independent than you. And, BTW, I do hope
Sarah Palin runs for President in the future. I look forward to the
Republican contenders taking her apart gaff by gaff. That would be an
entertaining election season.

Pat in TX

Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Capitalist Pig[_2_]

On 1 mar, 22:55, "PJ O'Donovan" wrote:
For your enlightement:

http://www.urinal.net/vienna_opera/

I have been in the above establishment walking to there the many times
in the past years when I have stayed at the Palais Schwarzenberg in
Wien nearby. The Palais Schwarzenberg in undergoing *major renovations
presently and since it is one of my favorite hotels in the whole world
we hope to return when it reopens in 2010

I certainly have not seen them in restaurants, nor in museums and
concert halls!
Evelyn Vogt Gamble

see above link

(It's true the latter often have a woman "attendant"
with a prominently displayed saucer containing money - a hint that
"donations" are welcome -
Evelyn Vogt Gamble

LOL.

If you want to insult someone and possibly create a major incident,
use one of those facilities sometime and walk out without paying the
putzfrau in her presence.

A relative of an in law did not understand that custom, the currency
nor any of the language *on her first visit to Munich and Europe *and
her failure to pay the putzfrau after using the facility in a fine
restaurant *there created such a commotion that she vowed never to
return to Europe which she hasn't done since it happened about 30
years ago.

A bit of ignorance surfacing on the part of both.

You know Mr OD, Yobama never had a job, yet he was elected POTUS,
Frank Marshall Davis was his "mentor" libralspeak for "father figure"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Marshall_Davis . Yobama has no
history of accomplishments, nul, zilch, nada. He has no academic
achievements, no published papers, just a 144 day senate "career"
Obama's voting record shows that he missed 23 of the roll call votes.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/pers...0629&tab=votes .
Amazing.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PatTX[_2_]

Default Another loser rears his ugly head.

Capitalist Pig wrote:

: You know Mr OD, Yobama never had a job, yet he was elected POTUS,
: Frank Marshall Davis was his "mentor" libralspeak for "father figure"
: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Marshall_Davis . Yobama has no
: history of accomplishments, nul, zilch, nada. He has no academic
: achievements, no published papers, just a 144 day senate "career"
: Obama's voting record shows that he missed 23 of the roll call votes.
: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/pers...0629&tab=votes .
: Amazing.

You are one of the "dead enders" I assume. Get over it! Barack Obama is the
President of the USA whether you go online to slur him or not. You are a
loser. Go listen to Rush Limbaugh. Ask him where he gets his drugs.

Pat in TX

Old March 5th, 2009, 07:13 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
deconstructing desmond coughlan

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 13:01:30 +0100, desmond coughlan
wrote:

In article ,
Donna Evleth wrote:

Pay toilets are not uncommon in Europe. Paris, in particular, makes
heavy use of them; the streets of the city are forested with self-
cleaning, coin-op booths (landmarks like Sacre-Coeur generally have
several).

Poor ****head O'Donovan gets it wrong again. The 'pay toilets' he
mentions in Paris, are in fact free.

Heh... presuming that one can actually enter without reeling back and
falling into a state of unconsciousness from the smell. Of course,
the way the door opens inward, and has no lock, you always have to
worry about --
Some harried clown all burdened down
With system out of whack
Will rush the closed, but unlocked door,
And flip you on your back.

You may travel the world over
Over land and over sea
But you haven't seen the half of it
till you've used a French latrine.

In France... free isn't all it's cracked up to be.

deconstructing desmond coughlan

Y.