Visa Advice - Uganda

Old July 7th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Danny Boy

Default Visa Advice - Uganda

Hello

I am from the UK (UK Passport) and will soon be going to Uganda. I have
been checking advice for Visas and I am getting conflicting information.
Can someone please tell me, if when I get to the airport in Kampala I can
pay the money and obtain a single entry visa there, rather than obtaining it
before I go. I fly into Kampala via Nairobi but I wont be getting off the
plane there. I will be leaving Uganda after about 10 days by road into
Kenya and then Tanzania.

I appreciate any advice

Dan

Old July 7th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Pat Anderson

In message , Danny Boy
writes
Hello

I am from the UK (UK Passport) and will soon be going to Uganda. I have
been checking advice for Visas and I am getting conflicting information.
Can someone please tell me, if when I get to the airport in Kampala I can
pay the money and obtain a single entry visa there, rather than obtaining it
before I go. I fly into Kampala via Nairobi but I wont be getting off the
plane there. I will be leaving Uganda after about 10 days by road into
Kenya and then Tanzania.

I appreciate any advice

Dan

Dan,
Here is a Uganda visa site for you to check.
Pat

Reported on 6th December 1999 the Ministry of Foreign Affairs published
a Visa update to inform the General Public that tourists and other
visitors to the Republic of Uganda from other countries where there is
no diplomatic representation with Uganda they can obtain entry visa's
from their point of entry into the country i.e. Entebbe International
Airport and all other Border Entry points.

Visa Requirements: (Effective March 1, 1999)

A single entry visa US$30
Multiple entry visa 6 months US$80
Multiple entry 1 yearUS$160
Transit visa (good for 1 week) US$15
Student Visa US$20

Transit visas are ideal for those trekking gorillas in Rwanda having
arrived in Uganda from Kenya and returning to Kenya. If you need no more
than a week in Uganda to transit back to Kenya the transit visa option
is for you.

Please Note: American Nationals, British, and just about all
Commonwealth nationals and European nationals that make up the vast
majority of visitors to Uganda do need a visa to travel to Uganda.

Countries exempted from visa requirements to Uganda.

COMESA countries: Angola, Burundi, Comoros, Eritrea, Kenya, Malawi,
Mauritius, Madagascar, Rwanda, Seychelles, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia,
Zimbabwe.
Others: Antigua, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Fiji, Gambia, Grenada,
Jamaica, Lesotho, Malta, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands,
St.Vincent & The Grenadines, Tonga, Vanuatu, Italy (Only Diplomatic
Passports), Cyprus.

CHECK LIST
All travelers to Uganda are required to strictly comply with the
following requirements.

1. You must be in possession of a valid passport issued and recognized
by your government.

2. You must have:
a) An International Inoculation Certificate against Yellow Fever
(although a strict requirement being requested to present it for
inspection at any entry point into the country would be rare).

Visa information for Regional Countries
Kenya:
To clarify the situation on visitors arriving in Uganda and returning to
Kenya. Providing you do not travel into Rwanda or the DRC or have a
stamp to show you left Uganda to either of these countries you will be
permitted to return to Kenya without having to purchase another Kenyan
visa. It was common practice when Gorilla tracking at Djomba in The DRC
for the Ugandan immigration at Bunagana to allow you to cross without
stamping your passport as having left Uganda. The Congolese only stamped
passports of those that dearly wanted to have a Congolese stamp as a
souvenir. This does not appear to be the case of those proceeding to
Rwanda to track Gorilla's. You are officially stamped out of Uganda when
crossing at Cyanika and will need to purchase a re-entry visa for Uganda
and a further entry for Kenya when leaving Uganda. This is of course if
you fall into the category of persons requiring a visa.

Rwanda:
Nationals from Ugandan, the USA and Germany do not require visas to
travel to Rwanda. British and South African citizens do require a visa
for Rwanda however is issued free at the border. Other nationals must
get their visa before proceeding to the border. Visas are usually issued
on the same day when the application is made in Kampala. The Rwandese
embassy visa section is open Monday to Friday 09.00am to 12.00 noon.

Tanzania:
Residents of commonwealth countries do not require a visa for entry to
Tanzania. This does not include unfortunately nationals of India,
Nigeria, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK. Irish citizens do
not require a visa for Tanzania. South Africans do however. All visas
are good for travel to Zanzibar. Visas are issued for all nationalities
that require one at any point of entry into the country.

--
Pat Anderson
Old July 11th, 2004, 04:37 PM
jan

"Danny Boy" wrote in
:

Hello

I am from the UK (UK Passport) and will soon be going to Uganda. I
have been checking advice for Visas and I am getting conflicting
information. Can someone please tell me, if when I get to the airport
in Kampala I can pay the money and obtain a single entry visa there,
rather than obtaining it before I go. I fly into Kampala via Nairobi
but I wont be getting off the plane there. I will be leaving Uganda
after about 10 days by road into Kenya and then Tanzania.

I appreciate any advice

Dan

I got back from a trip to Uganda a few days ago.
Upon arrival at the airport in Entebbe, you can get a visa buy paying the
$30.
A tip : to get the visa, walk left by all the counters (don't wait at the
queues if you don't have a visa). The visa office is a the end of the
room, after the counters.
It took only minute to pay and get the stamp.

Jan