Does France Have A Nickname?

Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:32 PM
The Reids

Following up to Deep Foiled Malls

ho ho ho. I haven't heard that one before.

You haven't being paying attention, it appears in this group
regularly.

I was being sarcastic.;-)

You need to make it far more obvious. "ho ho ho" just didn't do it.

(that's also sarcastic) I assume.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:32:44 +0000, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to Deep Foiled Malls

ho ho ho. I haven't heard that one before.

You haven't being paying attention, it appears in this group
regularly.

I was being sarcastic.;-)

You need to make it far more obvious. "ho ho ho" just didn't do it.

(that's also sarcastic) I assume.

No, I was being serious.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:51 PM
Hatunen

wrote:

Following up to Deep Foiled Malls

ho ho ho. I haven't heard that one before.

You haven't being paying attention, it appears in this group
regularly.

I was being sarcastic.;-)

You need to make it far more obvious. "ho ho ho" just didn't do it.

(that's also sarcastic) I assume.

No, I was being serious.

One can be seriously sarcastic.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Keith Anderson

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:55:36 +0000, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to The Rev Gaston

Americans often call the U.S. "The land of the free."

So do a lot of people, but they're being sarcastic.

I cant visualise the usage.

"Hello, i'm from America, land of the free" is not going to make
you look other than an idiot.

But I may try out "hello, i'm British, land of hope and glory"
next time i'm asked.

Er....good evening, Officer....no, never seen 'im before in me life,
sir, cross me 'eart an' 'ope to die. :-)
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:42 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

wrote:

Following up to Deep Foiled Malls

ho ho ho. I haven't heard that one before.

You haven't being paying attention, it appears in this group
regularly.

I was being sarcastic.;-)

You need to make it far more obvious. "ho ho ho" just didn't do it.

(that's also sarcastic) I assume.

No, I was being serious.

One can be seriously sarcastic.

You're not serious, are you?
--
---
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:04 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On 2005-02-01, Padraig Breathnach wrote:

And l'hexagone is not all of France.

Islands are irrelevant.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:36 AM
szozu

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to Jim Pflaum

Does France, like many other countries, have a common nickname?
Americans often call the U.S. "The land of the free." Some Britts call
England "the land of hope and glory."

"La Belle France", used with equal sarcasm to "the land of the
free". I have never heard a Brit call England "Land of Hope and
Glory", sing it, yes.

I often hear England referred to as Old Blighty here on the CDA.

Lana

Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:57 AM
James Silverton

szozu wrote:
"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to Jim Pflaum

Does France, like many other countries, have a common nickname?
Americans often call the U.S. "The land of the free." Some Britts
call England "the land of hope and glory."

"La Belle France", used with equal sarcasm to "the land of the
free". I have never heard a Brit call England "Land of Hope and
Glory", sing it, yes.

I often hear England referred to as Old Blighty here on the CDA.

Lana

Isn't "Old Blighty" or just "Blighty" an instance of rather antiquated
military slang deriving from jargon of the British Army in India? It
was common enough in the early part of the last century, judging by
novels about the First World War, but I wonder if it is used much
these days?

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:46 AM
Keith Anderson

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:57:07 -0500, "James Silverton"
wrote:

szozu wrote:
"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to Jim Pflaum

Does France, like many other countries, have a common nickname?
Americans often call the U.S. "The land of the free." Some Britts
call England "the land of hope and glory."

"La Belle France", used with equal sarcasm to "the land of the
free". I have never heard a Brit call England "Land of Hope and
Glory", sing it, yes.

I often hear England referred to as Old Blighty here on the CDA.

Lana

Isn't "Old Blighty" or just "Blighty" an instance of rather antiquated
military slang deriving from jargon of the British Army in India? It
was common enough in the early part of the last century, judging by
novels about the First World War, but I wonder if it is used much
these days?

Of course it is, old boy, but only when comparing our beloved homeland
with the horrors of all the blighters, cads, bounders and Johnny
Foreigners who live elsewhere, don't play cricket, drink afternoon tea
or behave in a manner which would offend our dear Queen.

I was saying to Carruthers only the other day, I'd hang, draw and
quarter 'em - and transport 'em for life!
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:36 AM
szozu

"James Silverton" wrote in message
szozu wrote:
"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to Jim Pflaum

Does France, like many other countries, have a common nickname?
Americans often call the U.S. "The land of the free." Some Britts
call England "the land of hope and glory."

"La Belle France", used with equal sarcasm to "the land of the
free". I have never heard a Brit call England "Land of Hope and
Glory", sing it, yes.

I often hear England referred to as Old Blighty here on the CDA.

Lana

Isn't "Old Blighty" or just "Blighty" an instance of rather antiquated
military slang deriving from jargon of the British Army in India? It
was common enough in the early part of the last century, judging by
novels about the First World War, but I wonder if it is used much
these days?

The people using the term Old Blighty are young. Maybe it's significant that
the song mentions being in a trench in France, WW I vintage:

Jack Dunn, son of a gun, over in France today,
Keeps fit doing his bit up to his eyes in clay.
Each night after a fight to pass the time along,
He's got a little gramaphone that plays this song:

Take me back to dear old Blighty!
Put me on the train for London town!
Take me over there,
Drop me ANYWHERE,
Liverpool, Leeds, or Birmingham, well, I don't care!

http://www.westfront.de/blighty.htm

Lana