Tokyo Hakone 6 days, need hotel / ryokan / lodging in West Tokyo

Old February 24th, 2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Tokyo Hakone 6 days, need hotel / ryokan / lodging in West Tokyo

Hi all,

I'm visiting a friend in Tokyo this Spring, will fly out from NYC on
Mar.25, arrive in Tokyo on Mar.26. We'll go to Hakone for hotspring +
sightseeing for 2 days, Mar.28 - 29. Leaving Tokyo the night of
Mar.31st.

The problem is, I just got words that my friend won't have a place for
us (my gf & I) to stay at in Tokyo, his apt is too small. So now I'm
kind of in a panic to find cheap lodgings in Tokyo. Both Yoyogi Youth
Hostel (http://www.jyh.or.jp/english/kanto/yoyogi/index.html) and Tokyo
International Youth Hostel (http://www.tokyo-yh.jp/eng/e_top.html) are
now fully booked for those days! I had stayed at Taito Ryokan
(http://www.libertyhouse.gr.jp/) near Asakusa the first time I
travelled to Tokyo, but since it's too far East, I don't want to stay
there again this time. I would prefer a place on the West side, near
Shibuya / Shinjuku or Ikebukuro (where my friend lives). Price range
is under 9000 yen for 2 persons per night.

I hope this post will help other travellers too, I'll do some more
research and post the info & links here later.

- Here's my Yahoo! Travel Trip Planner
http://travel.yahoo.com/trip?pid=479780&action=view

- 2 questions I asked on tripadvisor.com (very friendly & knowledge
advices)
- (about Hakone ryokan)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...one_Kanto.html
- (about Tokyo lodgings)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...kyo_Kanto.html

- Hakone - Yugiriso Ryokan, reserved after doing some research and per
edokko's suggestion:
http://japaneseguesthouses.com/db/hakone/yugiriso.htm
http://www.jalan.net/jalan/jweb/yado/YADS_331833.HTML

-- Here are some specific hotels / ryokans that I've found, are they
any good?

- kimi ryokan in West Ikebukuro (6500Yen total)
http://www.kimi-ryokan.jp/index.html

-- General Info Sites:

- Rakuten Travel
http://www.mytrip.net/en/

- Jalan.net - a really good Japanese hotel / ryokan booking site
(Japanese only)
http://www.jalan.net/

- Budget hotel in Tokyo discussion at tripadvisor.com
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...kyo_Kanto.html

Old February 26th, 2006, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Although a fraction over your budget, you might want to check out
Toyoko Inn. Although most of their rooms are singles, they do have a
few double or twin rooms. Their locations at Shinjuku and Ikebukuro are
sold out of these rooms for the dates you stated, but their Korakuen
location still has a few doubles available at 9240 Yen inclusive per
night:

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00081/index.html

To see what rooms are available, click on "Reservations" at the top,
right of the page. Fill in the relevant dates/information and click
"Search". When the results come up click on "calendar" and then "Room
Details" to see exactly what room types are still available.

Rob

Korakoen is more of a central location, but Ikebukuro is only 8 minutes
away via the subway, located a couple of blocks away.

- Budget hotel in Tokyo discussion at tripadvisor.com
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...kyo_Kanto.html