long term prophylactic use

Old October 12th, 2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
grant kinsley

Default long term prophylactic use

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:55:30 +0200, Marc Lurie
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:10:00 GMT, grant kinsley
wrote:

SNIP SNIP SNIP
and remember sp. anoph. only bites at night, so those long pants and
shirts are extra important at night.

Grant Kinsley MD

I understand that the anopheles is mostly active only for a few hours
each side of dusk and dawn.

From my own experience, relying on long trousers and long sleeved
shirts is pointless in many areas due to the heat. There is absolutely
no way you'd be able to wear long sleeved shirts in most countries
during the summer months or in the hot rain season.

DEET is the way to go, but be careful of the stuff because it eats
certain plastics. The front cover of my mobile phone was completely
chewed away by the DEET on my ear :-) It also tastes revolting :-(

hehe, my phone is the same, DEET certainly chews the plastic.

The only problem with DEET in the long run is it never seems to last
long enough twixt applications, and it is somewaht toxic at the high
concentrations needed.

pyrethin impregnated clothing is also another helpful option, leaving
less skin to cover with DEET.

As far as long clothes, good cotton or silk is quite nice, when I was
in Cambodia and Vietnam I wore long sleeves in 100% humidity at 40
degrees C and was as comfortable as shorts and short sleeves because I
stuck to cotton and silk (and the fact that shorts in SE Asia aren't
really considered proper)

And as far as the anoph. I think they are a threat from dusk to dawn,
not just around the two.

Best,
Grant

Marc

Old October 13th, 2006, 11:51 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Grant, you must be designed differently from me :-)

The THOUGHT of wearing silk in the heat is enough to make me sweat.

Light cotton is best for me, but my favourite (if possible) is a pair
of sandles, a pair of shorts, and nothing else (and a hat of course).

Cheers,
Marc

SNIP

Old October 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Marc Lurie
writes
Grant, you must be designed differently from me :-)

The THOUGHT of wearing silk in the heat is enough to make me sweat.

Light cotton is best for me, but my favourite (if possible) is a pair
of sandles, a pair of shorts, and nothing else (and a hat of course).

Cheers,
Marc

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:33:47 GMT, grant kinsley
wrote:
SNIP
As far as long clothes, good cotton or silk is quite nice, when I was
in Cambodia and Vietnam I wore long sleeves in 100% humidity at 40
degrees C and was as comfortable as shorts and short sleeves because I
stuck to cotton and silk

SNIP

Grant would have perhaps found me an interesting case!
I went to Port Harcourt, Nigeria, for three years and was badly bitten,
swollen ankles, Cantharides beetle (blister beetle) bites which came up
and had to be burst, you name it it bit me! I always covered myself in
repellent and like Marc said, it was just too hot to cover up but I did
in Kenya, where I was for several more years. I never caught malaria
though but always took the recommended prophylactics for the area. I
spoke to long time residents on the Kenya coast who said they tend to
rely on "the cure" if they suspect they may be coming down with malaria
and also take anti malarials during the rainy season. It`s a nasty
thing to contract and imperative to take precautions and wear socks (I
had to as I was bitten walking through grass) and long trousers and
long sleeves from dusk.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Liz Leyden

In message
Marc Lurie wrote:

Grant, you must be designed differently from me :-)

The THOUGHT of wearing silk in the heat is enough to make me sweat.

I've heard other people say this, but I find it cool in summer, warm
layered in winter, but the hand-washing is a pain!

Light cotton is best for me, but my favourite (if possible) is a pair
of sandles, a pair of shorts, and nothing else (and a hat of course).

I've found that loose long clothes (trousers or a dress) of light
material (like cheesecloth, a modern, more expensive, equivalent of
which is Swiss Cotton) is actually cooler, because it creates its own
breeze while I walk.

Slainte

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos
Photo Gallery:

Old October 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Liz Leyden
writes
In message
Marc Lurie wrote:

Grant, you must be designed differently from me :-)

The THOUGHT of wearing silk in the heat is enough to make me sweat.

I've heard other people say this, but I find it cool in summer, warm
layered in winter, but the hand-washing is a pain!

Light cotton is best for me, but my favourite (if possible) is a pair
of sandles, a pair of shorts, and nothing else (and a hat of course).

I've found that loose long clothes (trousers or a dress) of light
material (like cheesecloth, a modern, more expensive, equivalent of
which is Swiss Cotton) is actually cooler, because it creates its own
breeze while I walk.

Slainte

Liz

Liz,
interesting! I`m OK during the day but at night I have to spray legs
and arms. I have got some lightweight, loose trousers which are great
for Kenya, they can be dressed up with a nice top. I used to wear short
dresses and have bare legs but soon found that was a mistake, I`m a
walking disaster as far as the mozzies are concerned! The wonder is I
never got malaria!
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
ange

mikeyc wrote:
Can any one help me?

I am going to do a year long project in South Africa and i am trying to
decide what to do about anti malarials, all the reading says take them, wear
long sleves etc. However, i have come accross people and articles that say
long term exposure to these drugs can cause liver and kidney damage, if any
one can offer me any guidence on this i would be very appreciative.

Mike Collins

i have done a bit of travel in africa, and yes, it is best to follow
the advice of a travel doctor. however, south africa has 4 seasons, not
so much a wet season and dry season like other parts of africa. so the
risk of malaria is lower. I tend not to take them myself unless it is
the wet season. I am heading to east africa again in a few weeks and
plan on not taking them. and it will be a little wet then! it's
personal and you have to learn about the area you are going to and the
risks and incidences of malaria. weigh it up and make a choice. the
other option is to get regular blood tests whilst you take the tabs. my
advice, avoid wet areas, especially in the wet season, particularly in
the parks and use a mosquito net and repellant with lots of deet! good
luck, u will have a blast.

Old October 14th, 2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
grant kinsley

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:41:37 +0100, Liz Leyden
wrote:

In message
Marc Lurie wrote:

Grant, you must be designed differently from me :-)

The THOUGHT of wearing silk in the heat is enough to make me sweat.

I've heard other people say this, but I find it cool in summer, warm
layered in winter, but the hand-washing is a pain!

Depends on the silk, I have several raw silk sjhirts, I machine wash
them. But they hand wash nicely when travelling, the scrunch down
great in the luggage too.

Old October 14th, 2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
grant kinsley

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:51:05 +0200, Marc Lurie
wrote:

Grant, you must be designed differently from me :-)

Must be, cause I live in silk and cotton all summer, silk should
breathe as easily or better than cotton, of course a silk shirt is a
little different than a silk business suit when it comes to
breathability. Have you tried a raw silk shirt before??

The THOUGHT of wearing silk in the heat is enough to make me sweat.

Light cotton is best for me, but my favourite (if possible) is a pair
of sandles, a pair of shorts, and nothing else (and a hat of course).

Cheers,
Marc

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:33:47 GMT, grant kinsley
SNIP