Winter Trip - Opinions Wanted

Old September 19th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Dougal

Default Winter Trip - Opinions Wanted

We are thinking of taking a winter trip to Europe around the holidays.
At first we wanted to go before the holidays to see the Christmas
markets.
I work at a school, so it would be easier for me to go after Christmas
but not necessary. If we go after the holidays, then we would also be
looking for a fun place to be for New Year's eve. I've always wanted
to see Copenhagen Tivoli at Christmas, but I was disapointed to find
that they close on Dec 23.
Is this also the case with the markets?
We were thinking of two possible itineraries:
1) The Strasbourg/Bern/So. Germany area
2) Copenhagen/Stockholm (maybe Helsinki-St. Petersburg?)

We'd love to hear some opinions from Europeans and folks who have
traveled to these place in winter. Which itinerary sounds best? Is
before Christmas or after better? We like walking, museums,
architecture, classical music, theatre etc. We are from the US
northeast, so cold and snow aren't an issue.
Thanks in advance!
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Martin Stock

om...

http://www.silvester-berlin.de

I've always wanted
to see Copenhagen Tivoli at Christmas, but I was disapointed to find
that they close on Dec 23.
Is this also the case with the markets?
We were thinking of two possible itineraries:
1) The Strasbourg/Bern/So. Germany area

Christmas Markets close traditionally at early afternoon of the 24th.
The biggest ones in Germany are in Stuttgart and Nuremberg
http://www.christkindlesmarkt.de/index_e.html
But you can find them in many towns or cities in Germany.

At 24th later afternoon and evening virtually everything in Germany that can
be closed will be closed.

2) Copenhagen/Stockholm (maybe Helsinki-St. Petersburg?)

We'd love to hear some opinions from Europeans and folks who have
traveled to these place in winter. Which itinerary sounds best? Is
before Christmas or after better? We like walking, museums,
architecture, classical music, theatre etc.

Besides the Christmas Markets there is no big difference on these things.
Generally it's a good time for museums, classical music, theatre etc. But
as most people have time you may have to book tickets in advance.

Old September 19th, 2003, 10:05 PM
tile

for sure st.petersburg is one of the nicest towns in europe
you will need at least a week to visit it
one day only fr the museum Hermitage
but you will need visa and it is some troubles to get it.
they will have severe winter there
so you have to rely on temperatures that could be
as low as 25 to 35 below zero ( centigrades)
om...

Old September 21st, 2003, 09:27 PM
Thomas Peel

Dougal schrieb:

We are thinking of taking a winter trip to Europe around the holidays.
At first we wanted to go before the holidays to see the Christmas
markets.
I work at a school, so it would be easier for me to go after Christmas
but not necessary. If we go after the holidays, then we would also be
looking for a fun place to be for New Year's eve. I've always wanted
to see Copenhagen Tivoli at Christmas, but I was disapointed to find
that they close on Dec 23.
Is this also the case with the markets?
We were thinking of two possible itineraries:
1) The Strasbourg/Bern/So. Germany area
2) Copenhagen/Stockholm (maybe Helsinki-St. Petersburg?)

You should bear in mind that Stockholm / Helsinki / St Petersburg only
have a few hours of daylight at that time of year.
Tom

Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:13 PM
Brian Wasson

My wife and I have done the Christmas market thing twice, both times
in late November (Thanksgiving weekend plus the week after). Both
times we mostly stayed in the SW Germany/Alsace, France area.
Strasbourg's market is great, and well worth stopping at. Strasbourg
in itself is a great destination, with a lot to see. Book your hotel
early, though, as they fill up quickly. Colmar, France, also has a
good market, as does Freiburg, Germany.

Our last trip started in Amsterdam, took in a bit of the Mosel river,
and then Alsace and Freiburg, then out of Frankfurt. On the Mosel,
Cochem has a good sized market, as does Trier. While Holland doesn't
really do the market thing (a small one in Amsterdam seems to be
trying to establish itself), they do have some neat traditions,
including really doing up St. Nikolas day well (you'll be amazed by
all the "Black Peters" running around).

Leave some time in your itinerary for the small-town markets, which
are often more interesting than the big markets. Serendipity plays a
large role in finding these. For example, the small Frankfurt suburb
of Kelsterback, right near the airport, has a nice little market with
a small-town feel.

Surprisingly, both times we have gone in late November/early December
we've had unseasonably warm weather. No snow to be found. Weird. We're
from the NE USA, too.