ConUS beaches in February

Old January 12th, 2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gary[_2_]

Default ConUS beaches in February

Can anyone recommend and ocean/gulf beach area in the lower 48 where we
could go in February and enjoy sand and waves? Key West comes to mind but
how are the Gulf Coast or So. Cal. beaches at this time of year? TIA

GV

Old January 12th, 2008, 02:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:52:59 -0600, "Gary"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend and ocean/gulf beach area in the lower 48 where we
could go in February and enjoy sand and waves? Key West comes to mind but
how are the Gulf Coast or So. Cal. beaches at this time of year? TIA

The water off California beaches is cold anytime of year,
although Southern Cal water is a bit warmer than northern Cal
water. And the breeze off the ocean can be pretty cool, even in
summer in southern Cal. Baywatch or not, surfers in California
usually wear wet suits.

You might look into Panama City Beach, Florida.

Old January 12th, 2008, 03:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Gary" wrote:
Can anyone recommend and ocean/gulf beach area in the
lower 48 where we could go in February and enjoy sand
and waves? Key West comes to mind but how are the
Gulf Coast or So. Cal. beaches at this time of year? TIA

To those of us in the Southeast, anywhere in Florida is too
cold in February, but for many further North, the beaches of
the Florida Southwest Coast, from Marco Island, Naples,
Sanibel-Captiva Islands, Sarasota, to St. Petersburg, would
seem downright balmy. See this website for a list of the best:
http://www.beachhunter.net/bestbeaches/index.htm =R=

Old January 12th, 2008, 04:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Can anyone recommend and ocean/gulf beach area in the lower 48 where we
could go in February and enjoy sand and waves? *

Keep in mind that that although these places will be relatively warm,
the water will be too cool for swimming (unless you're the hardy
type), and daily highs will probably be in the upper 60s to mid 70s,
so it's not ideal sunbathing weather either.

See this website for a list of the best:
http://www.beachhunter.net/bestbeaches/index.htm

A family member of mine has vacationed in the winter in two places
mentioned on that list -- Siesta Key, and Sanibel. She loved both of
them. Most folks on the beaches there were wearing light jackets or
sweaters in January, but it was sunny and beautiful.

James
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

"Gary" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend and ocean/gulf beach area in the lower 48 where we
could go in February and enjoy sand and waves? Key West comes to mind but
how are the Gulf Coast or So. Cal. beaches at this time of year? TIA

GV

Well, it's 84 in Miami right now, and its not even noon. On the other hand,
even Cubans don't swim in the ocean in winter :-) Probably depends on your
level of tolerance.

Forget northern Florida, though.

Old January 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Well, it's 84 in Miami right now, and its not even noon.

Yeah, Miami is one of the warmest places in Florida. Their average
high in February is 76.

James
Old January 12th, 2008, 11:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gary[_2_]

Hi All! Thanks for the replies! Swimming is not all that important if the
water's too cool but we'd like to be able to lay on the beach and get some
sun without having to bundle up in jackets. I've never been to or know much
about the Texas Gulf coast. Can anybody tell me about that? TIA, again!

Gary

Old January 12th, 2008, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
k[_1_]

wrote in message

Well, it's 84 in Miami right now, and its not even noon.

Yeah, Miami is one of the warmest places in Florida. Their average
high in February is 76.

James

South Texas will probably be cooler than you like in February. You can
expect daytime highs around 70f in S. Padre, maybe a tad warmer in
Glaveston. They're both nice places with great beaches, but not in Feb. Do
go someday, though. Shrimp, Texas-style, is not to be missed.

Stick with your instincts. Key West, or any of the lower Keys, don't have
the greatest beaches, but it will be warm there and there's lots else to do.
Of course, Miami is hard to beat for beaches.

Keith

Old January 13th, 2008, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gunter Herrmann

Hi!

Hatunen wrote:

You might look into Panama City Beach, Florida.

Water will still be quite cool there in February.
And when it gets warmer Panama City Beach is crowded by the spring
break folks.

If you want to see current air and water temperature conditions go to:

http://ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Florida.shtml

water temperature (in degrees F) examples:

Panama City Beach: 65.3
Venice: 68.7
Naples: 72.3
Key West: 75.6
Long Key: 74.5
Fort Pierce: 75.6
St. Augustine: 63.5

So it looks your best bet will be SW or SE Florida.

brgds & HTH

--
Gunter Herrmann
Orlando, Florida, USA
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
-hh

"Gary" wrote:
Hi All! *Thanks for the replies! *Swimming is not all
that important if the water's too cool but we'd like to
be able to lay on the beach and get some sun without
having to bundle up in jackets. *I've never been to or
know much about the Texas Gulf coast. *Can
anybody tell me about that? *TIA, again!

I'd expect that the TX Gulf is going to be not materially different
than the FL Panhandle: "too dang cold!" in February.

I've been to the Fort Walton Beach, FL area quite a bit, including
during the winter months, and generally, a "nice" day is one where its
sunny and 65F (18C), and you found a spot somewhere that's out of the
wind. Otherwise, the wind chill will get you. This is generally
found by sitting inside one of the waterfront restaurant that has its
windows closed.

Do keep in mind that this is still just a generalized "climate"
observation. I've been down in FWB when they've had a cold front
bring snow flurries and freezing temperatures to the beach.

For reasonably reliable warm weather, you'll need to be Miami or
further points South.

-hh