Eurostar to Paris

Old April 19th, 2009, 01:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Kris Tonastik

Default Eurostar to Paris

On Apr 18, 11:44*pm, Spencer wrote:
Hi
I plan to travel from London to Paris on a Sunday in September. I will
arrive in London, ex Oxford, about 11am and see there are Eurostar
trains at 12.02, 12.29 and 13.00. I wonder if is necessary to book in
advance or just get to St Pancras as quickly as possible and buy a
ticket then? Are there any cost advantages either way?
Any comments will be appreciated.
Akarana

I read somewhere that it was cheaper if you were from particular
countries !

might have been here

http://www.seat61.com/
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On Apr 19, 12:35*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:32:34 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message

One other pint which may not need mentioning

Pints always need mentioning! Just two hours until my first one! ;-)

I'm envious. )
--

Martin

Nah, just back from a Chinese with the Mrs. I had a couple of colas,
BB spare ribs, Chicken Ti pan, "Chinese" tea with a little two-tier
tray of pralines, fudge and biscuits. She had other stuff. All for
55.70 euro.
Then as we left we were handed a bottle of kuei hua chen chiew,
gratis. (-:
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"aquachimp" wrote in message
On Apr 18, 11:44 pm, Spencer wrote:
Hi
I plan to travel from London to Paris on a Sunday in September. I will
arrive in London, ex Oxford, about 11am and see there are Eurostar
trains at 12.02, 12.29 and 13.00. I wonder if is necessary to book in
advance or just get to St Pancras as quickly as possible and buy a
ticket then? Are there any cost advantages either way?
Any comments will be appreciated.
Akarana

Have you tried the eurostar booking website? I ask because September
is quite a ways off right now and sometimes when I've tried to book a
ticket so well in advance, I haven't been able to because of my
earliness.

ES only allows bookings 90 (or is it 60?) days in advance, except for the
"holiday" specials where the booking period is longer.

tim

Old April 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge14[_2_]

Default martin always competing for the longest, most useless thread

wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message

One other pint which may not need mentioning

Pints always need mentioning! Just two hours until my first one! ;-)

Buy everybody a pint and the world's your oyster.
--

Martin

Old April 20th, 2009, 01:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 08:06:32 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

Mark Brader" wrote in message

Well, duh! On earth, you get on the first train available. And on
services that don't require reservations, you get to pick your seat.
I would never reserve in advance unless there was a good reason to do so.

Well, duh! Obviously I didn't mean local services, which I use on spec most
days. I'm talking about travelling any distance.

Why stress yourself out, having to get to the station early enough to queue
for a ticket and then pay top price? Just book it in advance.

I've had no problem buying ICE tickets in Germany the day of my
departure. Cheap advanced tickets weren't a factor, though, as I
had a BahnCard50.

Old April 20th, 2009, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Spencer

wrote:

Mark Brader" wrote in message
.. .

Well, duh! On earth, you get on the first train available. And on
services that don't require reservations, you get to pick your seat.
I would never reserve in advance unless there was a good reason to do so.

Well, duh! Obviously I didn't mean local services, which I use on spec most
days. I'm talking about travelling any distance.

Why stress yourself out, having to get to the station early enough to queue
for a ticket and then pay top price? Just book it in advance.

I've had no problem buying ICE tickets in Germany the day of my
departure. Cheap advanced tickets weren't a factor, though, as I
had a BahnCard50.

Thanks all. Lots of comments, some well worthwhile.
Cheers
AKARANA