Hurricane Isabel

Old September 14th, 2003, 09:46 PM
fishman

Default Hurricane Isabel

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Isabel is looking like it will hit the US coast near Cape Hatteras late
Wednesday and Thursday - the present projected path has it going across the
Chesapeake Bay, right on over Washington, D.C. and up into Pennsylvania.
There will be a lot of travel plans changed this week. Good luck for those
who live there.

Chris

Old September 14th, 2003, 10:27 PM
suebo

Yep looks like it is coming my way. They say Friday morning it will hit
my way. Not looking forward to it, but better get used to it if I am
moving to Florida. May reconsider this after the week is over

--
suebo

Old September 15th, 2003, 02:14 AM
fishman

"suebo" wrote in message

Yep looks like it is coming my way. They say Friday morning it will hit
my way. Not looking forward to it, but better get used to it if I am
moving to Florida. May reconsider this after the week is over

--
suebo

Just take it VERY seriously - your houses aren't built to withstand the
winds. Roads get clogged so get out early. Don't know where you are, but
if you're anywhere near the center, take anything with you that you can't
afford to lose and don't plan on having anything to return to. Trust me -
'riding it out' is a very bad idea. g

Chris

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:40 AM
j. sterling

" Just take it VERY seriously - your houses aren't built to withstand the
winds. Roads get clogged so get out early. Don't know where you are, but

That is so true - roads do get clogged very quickly. When I
evacuated for Floyd it took me 5 hours to go thirty miles. People would
turn of their motors, get out of their cars, and chat with each other.

Old September 15th, 2003, 05:52 AM
suebo

Fishman, sounds like you have been through it and lost a lot. Would you
like to tell us all what happened!!

--
suebo

Old September 15th, 2003, 08:56 PM
fishman

"suebo" wrote in message

Fishman, sounds like you have been through it and lost a lot. Would you
like to tell us all what happened!!

--

Hurricane Andrew, August 24, 1992. 4 adults, 4 kids at a friend's house
further inland than our own. Friday, the 21st, the local weather bimbo said
'the storm has made the turn' and we turned off the TV - came back home from
a picnic at midnight Saturday the 22nd to an answering machine full of
frantic phone calls from across the country. We chose not to evacuate - we
were twenty miles inland!!! We spent Sunday preparing - boarding up the
windows, making a safe room, and watching the weather. We had feeder bands,
actually not a problem, for hours and hours after midnight. We watched the
eye roar over friend's neighborhoods on the TV radar until power went out
about 3, then listened on the radio for over an hour before it got to us -
knowing we were going to get slammed and having to wait for it. We had
eyewall, maximum winds, for 45 minutes. Front window & door blew in, which
was good because the winds were just about to take the roof off. We had 20
minutes of calm eye, then 25 minutes of the backside of the eyewall -
everything that blew out of the house onto the porch blew back in again. We
were in a bathroom with two men holding a mattress against the door, feet
against the sink cabinet, holding the door shut. There was no air because
the ceiling vent was pulling air out, but none new was coming in. On our
rural road, only three of 7 houses were standing. There was not one green
leaf on a tree, no birds, no life anywhere. It was easy to imagine that we
were the only ones alive on the face of the earth. Friends who were closer
to the bay were in newer neighborhoods, with higher winds, and much more
damage. One put her kids in the recycling buckets in the garage, between
the car and the inside wall. During the eye, people were in the street in
front of her house, calling out to their neighbors and begging for a safe
house to shelter their children during the second half of the storm. No one
could travel more than a block because trees and power lines, and fences and
houses and cars and tractors were blocking every road. We cleaned up the
grass clumps (with roots still attached) from the floor and ceiling, swept
the water and broken glass out, tried to keep the kids occupied....and then
went back to our own house about 5 p.m. I can honestly say that if there
had been an empty concrete slab, it would have been just fine - we weren't
dead. Anyone you see on TV crying and wailing about possessions - they
evacuated and returned after. The ones who are laughing - those are the
ones who thought they were going to die. We laughed a lot - your other
option is to be upset, and why waste time?

We left town mid-morning on the 25th - the line for people to get back into
town stretched for miles and we couldn't figure out why they would want to
get back in to such devastation. The National Guard did not come until
Thursday afternoon - so no food supplies, no water, no emergency power for
three days. When I returned two weeks later to visit, there were armed
Guards at every major intersection. NY's 10th Mountain Division cleared the
fallen trees from our yard. A Presbyterian Church in Ft. Lauderdale my
husband's laundry, our power was turned back on by a crew from Michigan. My
kids and I moved back at Christmas after the house was rebuilt, so we missed
the worst part of the rebuilding - the two-hour lines on certain days of the
week for the mail, the food tents set up by the army (unless you chose the
MRE's they brought to the houses) and the worst of the heat. We drove 20
miles to do grocery shopping for almost a year until a grocery store opened
near us; the new school was finished in 3 1/2 years, trees grew back after
few years. Now, 11 years later, almost a third of Dade County residents do
not remember the storm; just as more than 50% in 1992 did not remember the
last major storm from 1965.

We had insurance and were able to replace all of our things. My brother
jokingly said we should have hurricanes more often, so we could replace our
cars and rip our houses down to studs and redecorate every few years. I
honestly answered him that if I cold have kept all my old stuff and saved my
children from having to go through that night of fear, there would be no
choice.

I pray for the people in the path of Isabel and hope they make out OK.

Chris

Old September 16th, 2003, 04:09 AM
suebo

Wow that sounds absolutely terifying. I am glad you all made it out
alive. I really think that it is going to hit us, but will lose a lot
of its power by the time it gets inland - well I hope that is what is
going to happen anyway.

We have not been told to evacuate or anything yet, so we will have to
see what is going to happen in the next day or two.

--
suebo

Old September 17th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Da Parrot-chick

I'm keeping this to show to anybody who thinks that hurricanes are no big
deal. Thanks for posting it, fishman.