how to become an agent?

Old September 16th, 2003, 02:00 PM
MOhar871

Default how to become an agent?

i realize this is probably not the proper board but i dont know where to begin.
at this point in my life i am thinking how much i would love to be a travel
agent. does anybody know what kind of schooling it takes to do this. are there
specialty school for thsi type of thing? i am not interested in some internet
send us money work from home nonsense eitehr. i want the 'proper' education to
learn how to make a living doing this and perhaps a place to start...any
suggestions out there from people in the field? thansk, M.O.
Old September 16th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Keith Willshaw

"MOhar871" wrote in message
i realize this is probably not the proper board but i dont know where to

begin.
at this point in my life i am thinking how much i would love to be a

travel
agent. does anybody know what kind of schooling it takes to do this.

Basic literacy would be a good start followed by extensive travel
experience and a good knowledge of foreign cultures and
geography

are there
specialty school for thsi type of thing?

Yes the Institute of Certified Travel Agents (ICTA) offers
a course that lead to the designation of Certified Travel
Counselor (CTC) and the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA)
offers a correspondence course that provides a basic understanding
of the travel industry.

i am not interested in some internet
send us money work from home nonsense eitehr. i want the 'proper'

education to
learn how to make a living doing this and perhaps a place to start...any
suggestions out there from people in the field? thansk, M.O.

Start by paying attention to spelling, grammar, punctuation and
capitalisation.

Keith

Old September 16th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Juliana L Holm

Also, many community colleges provide tourism and travel programs. I would
also note that in this day and age, internet skills are essential. Also,
learn all you can, travel all you can. In a day and age when I can get the
best buy on an air seat on the internet, what an agent has to sell is his
or her expertise.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Don Howe

Better you take a course in 'Buggy Whip' making. The future for Travel
Agents with no first hand knowledge of the world is narrowing every day.
The
best course in the country cannot supply the experience and first hand
knowledge required to succed in todays Internet controlled Travel Industry.

Old September 17th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Juliana L Holm

I believe that "Travel all you can" was part of my discussion. There is still
much that can be learned. No one person can travel everywhere, but you can
know how to handle travel in many places.

Julie