Can anyone tell Me about Cruising standby

Old May 6th, 2004, 05:34 PM
HDawson228

Default Can anyone tell Me about Cruising standby

Mason. I understood that this was a new requirement effective Feb 1, 2003.
Pls correct me if that is not the case.
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Jim

Guys, I cannot confirm this with any legal statute but it is my
understanding that the cruiseline must submit the manifest 4 hours prior to
sailing at a minimum. I know this is a very short time but even though it
might allow enough time for someone to cruise at the very last minute it
just is not done inside of 48 hrs in any instance that I have ever seen or
heard of.
Jim

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Mike Cordelli

They have until 30 minutes after departure to submit the manifest, but the
three days is before it returns to a US port (actually, the number of day is
based on the length of the cruise).

It makes no sense that you can not get a ticket on a cruise ship within
three days, but can walk into an airport and get a ticket to enter the
country in three hours.

There is nothing stopping people from cruising the same day, other then they
don't sell tickets that way.

. ..

Old May 6th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Jim

Mike, do you know the statute that this falls under or section of US Code?
It would be interesting to read it if we knew where to find the darn thing.
As you said, they just don;t do it this way though. One of the reasons is
that they do usually sail "full" in that they only have a few cabins that
are being held in reserve in case of emergencies and/or for entertainers
that will be boarding at a later time. In addition, just because someone
does not show up at the departing port they still paid for that cabin and
could claim it at the next port.
Jim

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
They have until 30 minutes after departure to submit the manifest, but the
three days is before it returns to a US port (actually, the number of day

is
based on the length of the cruise).

It makes no sense that you can not get a ticket on a cruise ship within
three days, but can walk into an airport and get a ticket to enter the
country in three hours.

There is nothing stopping people from cruising the same day, other then

they
don't sell tickets that way.

. ..

Old May 7th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Odysseus

The line has purchased supplies and allocated staff based on the number of
passengers they expect. It may be too much trouble to change.

I was on a cruise that was half full. The cabin stewards and stewardesses
had the same number of cabins that they have when the ship is full. I don't
know what the line did with all of the people who work when the ship is full.

Mike, do you know the statute that this falls under or section of US Code?
It would be interesting to read it if we knew where to find the darn thing.
As you said, they just don;t do it this way though. One of the reasons is
that they do usually sail "full" in that they only have a few cabins that
are being held in reserve in case of emergencies and/or for entertainers
that will be boarding at a later time. In addition, just because someone
does not show up at the departing port they still paid for that cabin and
could claim it at the next port.
Jim

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
.. .
They have until 30 minutes after departure to submit the manifest, but the
three days is before it returns to a US port (actually, the number of day

is
based on the length of the cruise).

It makes no sense that you can not get a ticket on a cruise ship within
three days, but can walk into an airport and get a ticket to enter the
country in three hours.

There is nothing stopping people from cruising the same day, other then

they
don't sell tickets that way.

. ..

Old May 7th, 2004, 06:51 AM
JLP20

Their is a "Maritime Transportation Security Act" in addition to the
TSA. However, that said, to my knowledge neither of them requires
that passenger manifests be delivered to the U.S. Gov't 72 hours
before a cruise ship departs.

As I have posted before, Princess contacted me 52 1/2 hours before departure
with a last minute deal.

Could it be cruise lines hide behind the 72 hour rule to avoid being swarmed by
stadby requests. And the same make the offers to past customers as a "perk"
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20