Alaska cruise and indepent travel

Old May 17th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Donald Hazle

Default Alaska cruise and indepent travel

My wife and I are planning a 4 week trip to Alaska in May of 2005. We
previously toured Alaska in 1988 by driving round trip from
Pennsylvania. My tentative plans this time are to take Via Rail to
Jasper and then on to Prince Rupert. Then we would use the Alaska
Ferry to island hop through the inside passage. We plan to rent an RV
and drive some of the interior and take Alaskan railroad and Denali.
At the end of the trip, I would get a southbound cruise back to the
Vancouver. Time permitting; I will finish with Amtrak back to
Pennsylvania.

My "big" questions for you experienced Alaska travelers a

1. During May is it possible to find B&B's or lodging in general on
without making reservations weeks in advance. My idea would to be
call a day or two in advance before arriving and in some cases find
accommodations that evening.

2. When I was there 18 years ago in July, we stayed in campsite which
was never a problem if I pulled in by 3pm. Can I assume that is still
the case if I rent an RV.

3. I have seen RV's with unlimited miles for around $100 per day
during the month of May. Is there anything to watch out for.

4. Do the cruse lines have anything like "standby" for a southbound
trip? I would not be picky as to which cruise line and was thinking
that they might have some special deals to fill a cabin. I would also
not have to leave on a certain date.

5. I would think that privately run tours or some of the more scenic
area would not be filled in May. Am I correct!!

6. Is there a good travel agency that can help with any of this?

7. Please provide any suggestions.

Thanks
Don Hazle
Port Matilda, Pa.
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:57 PM
JLeary256

1. During May is it possible to find B&B's or lodging in general on
without making reservations weeks in advance. My idea would to be
call a day or two in advance before arriving and in some cases find
accommodations that evening.

May is now a big travel time- the cruiselines now start beg. of May where
before they were weeks later. I would have reservations at least a week ahead.

2. When I was there 18 years ago in July, we stayed in campsite which
was never a problem if I pulled in by 3pm. Can I assume that is still
the case if I rent an RV.

In May campgrounds will have plenty of room, no longer the case in season.

3. I have seen RV's with unlimited miles for around $100 per day
during the month of May. Is there anything to watch out for.

be certain to have the TOTAL cost, some add cleaning fees, you have to purchase
your propane, expect at best 10mpg. Be sure to get at least a 24', so to have
a permanant bed- the couch/dining table ones are not the best. Overhead isn't
very private.

4. Do the cruse lines have anything like "standby" for a southbound
trip? I would not be picky as to which cruise line and was thinking
that they might have some special deals to fill a cabin. I would also
not have to leave on a certain date.

NO but late bookings around 30 days ahead at the latest. Alaska is popular and
ships most always sail full. I book about 60 days ahead and haven't paid over
$500 since 1999 in Alaska.

5. I would think that privately run tours or some of the more scenic
area would not be filled in May. Am I correct!!

True- BUT if Denali Park is a priority then plan your visit for AFTER June 1 so
to be able to go on the SHUTTLE (not tour bus) to Eielson.

6. Is there a good travel agency that can help with any of this?

You will be better off doing a lot of homework first. A necessary reference is
THE MILEPOST, be sure to get a copy. You can easily book the ferry, hotels ( I
greatly prefer Alaska B&B's), motorhome etc, yourself. An agent won't have
access to some of the "small" places that are the gems.