An alternative to travelocity, orbitz, expedia - I'd love some feedback

Old May 4th, 2004, 06:23 PM
dbk

Default An alternative to travelocity, orbitz, expedia - I'd love some feedback

I'm working on a service which facilitates communication between
travelers and travel agents. The goal is to help people get the best
possible expertise and fares possible. It's an alternative to the
online "big boys." Please look at it and send some feedback. I want
to make the best service possible. It's free of course. I've been
working on software for travel agents for years, now I'd like to let
people benefit from the collective expertise of 40,000+ travel
agencies. I've used it myself twice with great success, but it can
still be better with good feedback and ideas

Please check it out at www.metatravel.com
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:40 PM
tim

"dbk" wrote in message
om...
I'm working on a service which facilitates communication between
travelers and travel agents. The goal is to help people get the best
possible expertise and fares possible. It's an alternative to the
online "big boys." Please look at it and send some feedback. I want
to make the best service possible. It's free of course. I've been
working on software for travel agents for years, now I'd like to let
people benefit from the collective expertise of 40,000+ travel
agencies. I've used it myself twice with great success, but it can
still be better with good feedback and ideas

easy peesy.

If I have to register to try it out, I go somewhere else.

I *know* that I am not alone in this.

tim

Please check it out at www.metatravel.com

Old May 4th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Miguel Cruz

tim wrote:
"dbk" wrote:
I'm working on a service which facilitates communication between
travelers and travel agents. The goal is to help people get the best
possible expertise and fares possible. It's an alternative to the
online "big boys." Please look at it and send some feedback. I want
to make the best service possible. It's free of course. I've been
working on software for travel agents for years, now I'd like to let
people benefit from the collective expertise of 40,000+ travel
agencies. I've used it myself twice with great success, but it can
still be better with good feedback and ideas

easy peesy.

If I have to register to try it out, I go somewhere else.

I *know* that I am not alone in this.

You are not - it kept me from going past the first click too.

Professionals who run web sites have learned that they have to offer
additional added value in order to coax registrations (e.g., Amazon with its
recommendations, Travelocity with its FareWatcher, etc.). Requiring
registration before presenting any value at all is one of the surest ways to
turn the majority of visitors away before they even see what you have to
offer (up there with moronic things like "your browser is not the same one
that I, the developer, use, so go download another one before you can visit
here, and why not change your monitor resolution while you're at it?").

miguel
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Mike Cordelli

Or you could simply register with fake information, they don't confirm any
of it.

I *know* that I am not the only one who figured that out.

It's amazing that when you put a name or an e-mail question on a form
everybody believes you have to fill it in with real information.

Please check it out at www.metatravel.com

Old May 4th, 2004, 09:10 PM
mrtravelkay

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Professionals who run web sites have learned that they have to offer
additional added value in order to coax registrations

It was a good thing for the people that handle aa.com to eventually get
this and permit checking the price for a booking before requiring you to
login.

Old May 4th, 2004, 09:12 PM
tim

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
Or you could simply register with fake information, they don't confirm any
of it.

It is not the giving of the information that I have a problem with.

It is the inconvenience of doing it (when there is no real reason).

(Bear in mind that if you like the site and want to make a booking
later you will regret lying.)

I *know* that I am not the only one who figured that out.

I once got rejected from a site because too many people
had claimed the address

It's amazing that when you put a name or an e-mail question on a form
everybody believes you have to fill it in with real information.

But some types of site require 'real' information to be usable in other
ways

tim

If I have to register to try it out, I go somewhere else.

I *know* that I am not alone in this.

tim

Please check it out at
www.metatravel.com

Old May 4th, 2004, 11:07 PM
John Bermont

Miguel Cruz wrote:

tim wrote:

"dbk" wrote:

[...]

Hear! Hear! Well said, Miguel. Most of those holier than thou sites are
not worth the time for a download.

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old May 5th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Henry

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Requiring
registration before presenting any value at all is one of the surest ways to
turn the majority of visitors away before they even see what you have to
offer

yes

(up there with moronic things like "your browser is not the same one
that I, the developer, use, so go download another one before you can visit
here...).

When I encounter this malarkey, I ask myself how interested I really am
in the site. Did I go there for some purpose, or was I incidentally
carried there by the surf? If the former, i.e., if I care at all, I will
usually try to send the webmaster a note, quoting the following:

"Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a
Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web,
computer, another word processor, or another network."

-Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996

cheers,

Henry

(Of course, there wil be some--webmasters included--who say 'Tim who?')
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Mark

Personally, I'd never use a site like this. I like to browse, get pricing
and if I see something I like I buy it. Giving personal information and then
waiting for a response tends to make me feel like there would be sales
tactics or pressure when I did get a response. Instant online pricing like
expedia, travelocity, smartcruiser, etc are the things that everyone I know
uses because it's instant and anonymous. I can look at the details for
hundreds of vacations before deciding about anything. Most of the time I'm
not sure where I want to go until something looks attractive. If the pricing
is right then I may book it online or go to my travel agent.

Mark

om...

Please check it out at www.metatravel.com

Old May 5th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Henry wrote:

Miguel Cruz wrote:

[...]

And others who want to use and may need features that are not supported
by antiques.