Best way to repel mosquitos?

Old January 10th, 2005, 07:55 PM
riverman

Default Best way to repel mosquitos?

"Bobby" wrote in message
I'm off to a safari in Kenya later this month and I was wondering how
acute the mosquito problem is likely to be and how best to deal with it?
Can anyone advise?

Cheers.

Bobby

Rainy season = bugs. Use bug dope, wear long sleeves after dark, and take
your malaria meds.

--riverman

Old January 10th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Johan W. Elzenga

riverman wrote:

"Bobby" wrote in message
I'm off to a safari in Kenya later this month and I was wondering how
acute the mosquito problem is likely to be and how best to deal with it?
Can anyone advise?

Cheers.

Bobby

Rainy season = bugs. Use bug dope, wear long sleeves after dark, and take
your malaria meds.

Except that January is usually the dry season, not the wet season. The
'mosquito problem' should be quite low. Do use your malaria pills,
though. And take a repellent with DEET with you.

--
Johan W. Elzenga johanatjohanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Bobby

Do I really need long-sleeves tee-shorts?

The idea of wearing these things in a hot climate is not appealing.

Bobby

"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 11th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Rita Daggett

"Bobby" wrote in message
Do I really need long-sleeves tee-shorts?

The idea of wearing these things in a hot climate is not appealing.

Bobby

Yes you do.
The (early) mornings and evenings are worst for mosquitos, and it probably
wont be that warm then (I cant recall what Kenya was like in Feb when we
went, but other places/times I've been wearing a fleece to go out on a game
drive!). Definitely cover your arms and legs in morning/evening; you'll
probably be OK with shorts and t-shirt during the heat of the day (plus
repellant).

Old January 11th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Whitedog

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:01:56 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

Do I really need long-sleeves tee-shorts?

The idea of wearing these things in a hot climate is not appealing.

Do you like having skin on your arms? I'm assuming that you're a white
skinned european of course!
If you're heading off to Kenya straight from a european winter then
your ghostly white skin will burn in minutes in direct sunlight. Don't
be fooled into thinking that a covered safari vehicle will protect you
either, the sun will only be directly overhead for a short while each
day after which, you'll burn some more.
On the mainland I managed to burn my arms through sunscreen and the
good tan I'd got in zanzibar, be warned!
--
.--~~,__ Useful Swahili sayings #241
:-....,-------`~~'._.'

Old January 11th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Johan W. Elzenga

Bobby wrote:

Do I really need long-sleeves tee-shorts?

The idea of wearing these things in a hot climate is not appealing.

Don't worry. During your early morning game drive you'll be glad to wear
more than just a long sleeved T-shirt. Most game areas in Kenya are
quite high, so it can be quite cold in the morning.

Old January 11th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Bobby

Don't worry. During your early morning game drive you'll be glad to wear
more than just a long sleeved T-shirt.

What would you recommend?

What sort of temperatures can I expect in late-Jan, early-Feb?

Bobby