What is the implication of not particiating with a muster drill?

Old February 11th, 2006, 05:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default What is the implication of not particiating with a muster drill?

Just curious, how serious is it it you don't participate in a muster drill?
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

PastaLover wrote:
Just curious, how serious is it it you don't participate in a muster drill?

Since you will slow the whole thing down as they look for you it is
likely that the other passengers will throw you overboard at some point
in the cruise. There is nothing more fun then standing there while
they search for someone who did not think he needed to come.

Scott

Old February 11th, 2006, 09:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Scott W wrote:
PastaLover wrote:
Just curious, how serious is it it you don't participate in a muster drill?

Scott who's been in the photo room looking at pictures of cruise
ships but may not have ever cruised, was quick to reply,

Since you will slow the whole thing down as they look for you it is
likely that the other passengers will throw you overboard at some point
in the cruise.

What make you think anyone will be looking for you if you don't
participate in the muster drill?

There is nothing more fun then standing there while
they search for someone who did not think he needed to come
Scott

The only interesting thing I've seen was some lady who was dragged
out of her cabin because she was sea sick (there was hardly any
motion), and she threw up all over the deck. That was one of
the Royal Caribbean ships. That was also about the last time
I cruised on a RCCL ship.

Other cruiseships are less anal about those drills. I haven't
been to a muster drill the last dozen or so cruises I've taken.
Nobody ever looked for me, perhaps because the drills were
started at 4 pm when many passengers haven't even boarded
the ship, which has a 5 pm deadline for boarding.

On a couple of the cruises, because I was cruising bac--to-
back two weeks in succession on the same ship, I wasn't even
supposed to go through any drills.

I would say required or not required depends on the ship. I
was ready to tell whoever looking for me that I didn't feel
like doing the exercise, but nobody gave me that opportunity
to tell them.

-- Bob.

Old February 11th, 2006, 09:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"PastaLover" wrote in message
Just curious, how serious is it it you don't participate in a muster
drill?

Serious enough for the Master to refuse to allow you to cruise.

Is that serious enough?

--

Dave

Old February 11th, 2006, 09:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Reef Fish wrote:
Scott W wrote:
PastaLover wrote:
Just curious, how serious is it it you don't participate in a muster drill?

Scott who's been in the photo room looking at pictures of cruise
ships but may not have ever cruised, was quick to reply,

Correction, Scott who has been cruising since 1984 and has had to wait
for missing people on just about every one of the cruises.

Scott

Old February 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

That is a good question.
Just last week on the Enchantment of the Seas after the drill, we went
DIRECTLY to the Concierge Club with our life jackets.
When we got there there were at least three couples there already
dressed for dinner.
There is no way in Hell they could have gone back to their cabin after
participating in the drill, changed clothes and dropped off their life
vests in that span of time.
They just sat out the drill in the Concierge Club.
Of all the cruises I have been on, the ONLY Cruise line I know for sure
REALLY checked for every passenger was Disney.
Back in the day, when we would cruise "The Big Red Boat" we would sit
out the drill in our suite.
Being a little older and wiser, I now realize the importance of the
drill and always attend.

Old February 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On the Norwegian Spirit recently, passengers who missed the first drill were
"ordered" to attend a make-up drill the following morning. While they seemed
to be serious about it, I don't know what would happen if you skipped the
2nd drill.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , DaFlaBear
wrote:

Just last week on the Enchantment of the Seas after the drill, we
went DIRECTLY to the Concierge Club with our life jackets. When we
got there there were at least three couples there already dressed for
dinner. There is no way in Hell they could have gone back to their
cabin after participating in the drill, changed clothes and dropped
off their life vests in that span of time. They just sat out the
drill in the Concierge Club.

That does not mean they were not caught and had to make up the drill
later. Royal Caribbean is the one cruise line I have been on that has
actually call out and checked off cabin numbers at the drills. So they
should know who missed the drill if they check off cabins. Other cruise
lines use another method. While the drill is going on the stewards
check every cabin during the drill, they even put a red card in the
cabin lock on one cruise line to indicate empty, and other crew members
check all the public areas for passengers. With the second method it is
probably more possible to hide somewhere and aviod the muster drill.

--
Charles

Old February 11th, 2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On My last cruise with Celebrity, [ October ] we were told by the cabin
steward that we should just stay in our room with the door locked and he
would account for us at the drill. We sat on our balcony and just relaxed.
Doreen

Old February 11th, 2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Scott W wrote:
Reef Fish wrote:
Scott W wrote:
PastaLover wrote:
Just curious, how serious is it it you don't participate in a muster drill?

Scott who's been in the photo room looking at pictures of cruise
ships but may not have ever cruised, was quick to reply,

Correction, Scott who has been cruising since 1984 and has had to wait
for missing people on just about every one of the cruises.

I accept that correction.

From the responses of others in this thread, it appears what I said

about the requirement is correct,

RF I would say required or not required depends on the ship.

So, far the feedback indicated:

Required: Royal Caribbean, Norwegian (anal about it)

Not required: Celebrity, Princess (on at least 10 different ships)

Others may wish to add to the list above.

-- Bob.