Brigitte Bardot may move to Sweden over animal rights

Old July 19th, 2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_3_]

Default Brigitte Bardot may move to Sweden over animal rights

[But if Brigitte gets lonely up in the land of Saabs and smorgasboard will
there a be a Swedish Le Pen to give her succor...???]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060719...tainmentsweden

Brigitte Bardot may move to Sweden over animal rights

"French film star Brigitte Bardot has told Sweden's prime minister that she
may move to Sweden because she was ashamed of her native France's efforts to
stop a Swedish law aimed at improving conditions on the country's own mink
farms.

"My image, my international identity, is still associated with France. ... I
might leave France to spend my last years in Sweden because today I feel far
closer to Swedish sensibilities than French insensibilities," Bardot wrote
in an open letter to Swedish Prime Minister Goeran Persson, a copy of which
was obtained by AFP Wednesday.

The longtime animal rights activist was protesting a move by France to
block, by way of the European Union, a Stockholm initiative to improve
conditions on Swedish mink farms.

Because of free market regulations within the EU, all proposed animal rights
legislation is sent to the Commission, where other EU member states are
given three months to examine the material. If no objections are raised, the
legislation can be passed by the country concerned.

France objected to the Swedish mink farm proposal on June 14, preventing it
from being voted on by the Swedish parliament before its summer recess.

Parliament will reconvene on October 1, after a September general election
that may see the current government removed from power. Thus the proposed
legislation may never see the light of day.

"I am ashamed by my government's intervention, ashamed to be French," Bardot
said.

Between 1.3 million and 1.4 million mink are killed in Sweden every year for
their fur, according to Swedish animal rights group Djurens Raett. "

Old July 19th, 2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:58:27 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
wrote:

[But if Brigitte gets lonely up in the land of Saabs and smorgasboard will
there a be a Swedish Le Pen to give her succor...???]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060719...tainmentsweden

JEEEEZUZ!!!

Gimme Sophia Loren anyday!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_3_]

wrote:

[But if Brigitte gets lonely up in the land of Saabs and smorgasboard

will
there a be a Swedish Le Pen to give her succor...???]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060719...tainmentsweden

JEEEEZUZ!!!

Gimme Sophia Loren anyday!

I was almost tempted to put the BB item in the "Worst European Attractions"
thread...

Sophia rocks, still lovely!

--
Best
Greg

Old July 20th, 2006, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge

martin and morrow the 2 loonies from the dustbin

"Gregory Morrow" a écrit dans
le message de news: t...

Old July 21st, 2006, 09:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

gRunge wrote:

martin and morrow the 2 loonies from the dustbin

Wouldn't it be *terrible* to be as lonely as BB is, gRunge...???

--
Best
Greg

"Gregory Morrow" a écrit dans
le message de news: t...

Old July 21st, 2006, 10:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_3_]

Martin wrote:

On 21 Jul 2006 01:52:50 -0700, "Gregory Morrow"
wrote:

gRunge wrote:

martin and morrow the 2 loonies from the dustbin

Wouldn't it be *terrible* to be as lonely as BB is, gRunge...???

gRunge's new sunglasses?

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-imag...07/19/pig2.jpg

Lol...

--