Late night weekend driving, Jerez to Vejer

Old May 10th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Tom Law

Default Late night weekend driving, Jerez to Vejer

OK, here's our earth-shaking dilemna:

Two years ago, my wife and I had a splendid time seeing/hearing
flamenco at La Carboneria in Sevilla, and then somehow drunkenly
wobbling back to our hotel on foot at 2 in the AM.

So we're going back in a couple of weeks, and plan to do that again,
on a Friday night (staying in a Sevilla hotel again).

The next 2 nights, however, we want to check out the flamenco in
Jerez, but we'll be staying in Vejer (about an hour's drive away,
apparently). We don't particularly want to make that drive at such a
late hour, with or without inebriation. And we're pretty sure the
buses won't be running at 2:00.

So, are there any other alternatives? We'd hate to miss the flamenco
in Jerez, but it just doesn't look like as interesting a place to stay
as Jeher (and we don't want to move to a different hotel every day,
either).

Or, can anybody recommend some good flamenco joints anywhere near
Vejer? (We really liked the casual atmosphere at La Carboneria, and
don't much care to see produced "shows"...)
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Nige

"Tom Law" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Have you studied the website for the Centro Andaluz de Flamenco based in
Jerez? It has dates of productions/tablao if you navigate the site.
http://caf.cica.es/ Look for Festivales 2004. You will see the
published events under CADIZ province.
Also for a quick Glossary of words look at:
http://www.flamenco.org/glossary.html

Jerez to Vejer is not so bad at night. Not too many bandits. It will be
a lot better when they complete the new road after Chiclana. Jerez has
the added attractions of the sherry bodegas which is one thing Vejer
lacks IMHO. There are a good assortment of simple and basic and expensive
hotels in the town.
Nige

Old May 12th, 2004, 10:25 AM
The Reids

Following up to Tom Law

So we're going back in a couple of weeks, and plan to do that again,
on a Friday night (staying in a Sevilla hotel again).

The next 2 nights, however, we want to check out the flamenco in
Jerez, but we'll be staying in Vejer (about an hour's drive away,
apparently). We don't particularly want to make that drive at such a
late hour, with or without inebriation. And we're pretty sure the
buses won't be running at 2:00.

So, are there any other alternatives? We'd hate to miss the flamenco
in Jerez, but it just doesn't look like as interesting a place to stay
as Jeher (and we don't want to move to a different hotel every day,
either).

Vejer is probably more interesting than Jerez from a flamenco
point of view but it seems to me you should just bite the bullet
and move hotels.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Tom Law

Have you studied the website for the Centro Andaluz de Flamenco based in
Jerez? It has dates of productions/tablao if you navigate the site.
http://caf.cica.es/ Look for Festivales 2004. You will see the
published events under CADIZ province.

Thanks! Wish I could read Spanish... :^)

At any rate, it now looks like we might just stay in Sevilla 2 nights,
before heading for Vejer and Arcos...

Also for a quick Glossary of words look at:
http://www.flamenco.org/glossary.html

THIS I can read! It'll be handy, thanks!
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Tom Law

Vejer is probably more interesting than Jerez from a flamenco
point of view ...

Great! I'd just assumed there'd be more to find in Jerez, since it's
said to be the birthplace.

Vejer it is, then.

Thanks!

Old May 13th, 2004, 11:19 AM
The Reids

Following up to Tom Law

Vejer is probably more interesting than Jerez from a flamenco
point of view ...

Great! I'd just assumed there'd be more to find in Jerez, since it's
said to be the birthplace.

Vejer it is, then.

I'm not saying Jerez wont have flamenco, Vejer is an "authentic"
place, but so is Jerez being more wine trade than tourism.
Is Jerez the birthplace? I didnt realise there was such a
specific thing. My money would be on Sevilla and Cadiz for no
more reason than there seems a lot of it about and they seem less
stiff places, especially Cadiz.
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Tom Law

I'm not saying Jerez wont have flamenco, Vejer is an "authentic"
place, but so is Jerez being more wine trade than tourism.
Is Jerez the birthplace? I didnt realise there was such a
specific thing. My money would be on Sevilla and Cadiz for no
more reason than there seems a lot of it about and they seem less
stiff places, especially Cadiz.

As it turns out, we'll spend Thursday and Friday nights in Sevilla,
and then Saturday and Sunday in Arcos, and then Monday and Tuesday in
Vejer.

Any recommendations on where to find good informal flamenco near Arcos
and/or Vejer?
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Nige

"Tom Law" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Oh. OK. Plans have changed. Never mind.
Arcos de la Frontera does have a Pena where the aficionados meet for
flamenco. But you need to find out by asking around when you get to
Arcos. There is a splendid bar and restaurant where the seating is
round an open courtyard which usually has some activity.It's called (I
think) Venta Flamenco and is out of town to the south. Not far out of
town but a taxi would cost about Euros 5. Not much action until
after 9 ! I hope they have something on as the grub is good and
the owners are splendid. You need to speak some Spanish to
understand. Arcos is only 30 minutes max, drive into Jerez. The
opportunities for catching a flamenco performance are quite high in the
area but mainly on a Friday or Saturday night. Did you review the
Jerez Flamenco diary to look at performances in Cadiz province?

Old May 14th, 2004, 09:13 AM
The Reids

Following up to Tom Law

As it turns out, we'll spend Thursday and Friday nights in Sevilla,
and then Saturday and Sunday in Arcos, and then Monday and Tuesday in
Vejer.

Any recommendations on where to find good informal flamenco near Arcos
and/or Vejer?

I have a tape of Robert Elms on finding informal flamenco (I
assume it was in Vejer as I understand he has a house there) in
which he talks of buying beers in inunable bars until someone
gives in and directs him to a neighbourhood pena on a dodgy
estate.... In my experience even pretty organised flamenco like
the big place in Cadiz I forget the name of, the whole thing
seems to be hit and miss.