Number of traffic fatalities in Belgium dropped spectacularly lastyear

Old January 30th, 2009, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc
Lord Taylor of Blackburn

Default Number of traffic fatalities in Belgium dropped spectacularly lastyear

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...affic%2Bdeaths

Thu 29/01/09 17:20 (UPDATE video) - The number of traffic fatalities
in Belgium dropped spectacularly last year, according to preliminary
statistics for 2008. The data is based on figures from December 2007
to November 2008 and compared with the same period of the year prior.

The number of people who died in traffic accidents in 2008 was
dramatically lower compared to the year before, and that year there
was already a stagnation with 1,067 deaths.
(Belga)

From 1 December 2007 to 30 November 2008, 857 people died in the
traffic. This is 120 fewer than in the same period the year before.

"We notice a significant decrease - about 12 percent," says Werner De
Dobbeleer of the Belgian Institute for Traffic Safety.

The positive figures were already seen in March and April and trend
continued through the year. Werner De Dobbeleer is pleased with the
trend and remarks, "You have to go way back in the years to find such
a dramatic decrease."

There is not immediately an explanation for the decrease in traffic
deaths. "Many factors are at play here. We notice that the Belgians
are slowly but surely changing their driving behaviour. They are
starting to drive slower because of the presence of more unmanned
cameras and more people are wearing seatbelts."

The authorities are very pleased with the trend. In 2001 more than
1400 people died in traffic accidents in Belgium. The aim is to scale
traffic fatalities back to less than 500 by the year 2015.
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Maurice ON4BAM

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 07:15:21 -0800 (PST), Lord Taylor of Blackburn
wrote:

starting to drive slower because of the presence of more unmanned
cameras and more people are wearing seatbelts."

Since traffic is backed up most of the day it's impossible to drive
fast. That may be the reason less people die on the roads. Fatal
crashes rarely happen when you're only going 5Km/h on the highway
during rushhour.
BTW, do you see anyone "rushing" anywhere during rushhour?

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM http://www.on4bam.com/
Travelogues and Amateur radio
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc
Lou Ravi

Lord Taylor of Blackburn wrote:
http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...affic%2Bdeaths

Thu 29/01/09 17:20 (UPDATE video) - The number of traffic fatalities
in Belgium dropped spectacularly last year, according to preliminary
statistics for 2008. The data is based on figures from December 2007
to November 2008 and compared with the same period of the year prior.

Don't tell me they've introduced a driving test ;-)

[...}

The authorities are very pleased with the trend. In 2001 more than
1400 people died in traffic accidents in Belgium. The aim is to scale
traffic fatalities back to less than 500 by the year 2015.

Good luck to them. I must say I've always found Belgian drivers pretty
bad. In their defence I see them here nowadays, on holiday out of their
normal environment, a bit lost, hesitant and looking at the countryside
rather than the road and its traffic. I always leave a big gap if behind
as they seem to have a terrible tendancy to signal to turn right and
then turn left. When they don't suddenly stop in the middle of the road
to squint at the signposts that is.

Old January 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc
Lord Taylor of Blackburn

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...0129_traffic%2...

Thu 29/01/09 17:20 (UPDATE video) - The number of traffic fatalities
in Belgium dropped spectacularly last year, according to preliminary
statistics for 2008. The data is based on figures from December 2007
to November 2008 and compared with the same period of the year prior.

Don't tell me they've introduced a driving test ;-)

1971 I believe, perhaps most of the bad drivers are now dead.....

[...}

The authorities are very pleased with the trend. In 2001 more than
1400 people died in traffic accidents in Belgium. The aim is to scale
traffic fatalities back to less than 500 by the year 2015.

Good luck to them. I must say I've always found Belgian drivers pretty
bad. In their defence I see them here nowadays, on holiday out of their
normal environment, a bit lost, hesitant and looking at the countryside
rather than the road and its traffic. I always leave a big gap if behind
as they seem to have a terrible tendancy to signal to turn right and
then turn left. When they don't suddenly stop in the middle of the road
to squint at the signposts that is.

indeed, driving is not their strong point, and they still persist with
priority to the right ********.....just paint a white line on the
road !
Old January 31st, 2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc
Mike Lane

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:24:48 +0000, Lord Taylor of Blackburn wrote
(in article
):

indeed, driving is not their strong point, and they still persist with
priority to the right ********.....just paint a white line on the
road !

Could you explain that for the benefit of ignoramuses please?

When I started driving in France a few years ago I was petrified of the
"priorité a droit". This, as I discovered has been largely abandoned in
France, and when it's in force it is clearly signed. What is the situation in
Belgium?

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old January 31st, 2009, 01:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc
Lou Ravi

Lord Taylor of Blackburn wrote:
On Jan 30, 7:32 pm, "Lou Ravi" wrote:
Lord Taylor of Blackburn wrote:

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redac...0129_traffic%2...

Thu 29/01/09 17:20 (UPDATE video) - The number of traffic fatalities
in Belgium dropped spectacularly last year, according to preliminary
statistics for 2008. The data is based on figures from December 2007
to November 2008 and compared with the same period of the year
prior.

Don't tell me they've introduced a driving test ;-)

1971 I believe, perhaps most of the bad drivers are now dead.....

Or still driving to their second homes in Provence ;-)

[...}

The authorities are very pleased with the trend. In 2001 more than
1400 people died in traffic accidents in Belgium. The aim is to
scale traffic fatalities back to less than 500 by the year 2015.

Good luck to them. I must say I've always found Belgian drivers
pretty bad. In their defence I see them here nowadays, on holiday
out of their normal environment, a bit lost, hesitant and looking at
the countryside rather than the road and its traffic. I always leave
a big gap if behind as they seem to have a terrible tendancy to
signal to turn right and then turn left. When they don't suddenly
stop in the middle of the road to squint at the signposts that is.

indeed, driving is not their strong point, and they still persist with
priority to the right ********.....just paint a white line on the
road !

Do the?. Even the French have given that up since they discovered the
roundabout about twenty years ago. Now they are every hundred yards or
so.

Old January 31st, 2009, 01:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc
UltraLazarus

Default Test- please ignore.

..
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc
Lord Truscott of Brownenvelope

On Jan 31, 12:50*am, Mike Lane wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:24:48 +0000, Lord Taylor of Blackburn wrote
(in article
):

indeed, driving is not their strong point, and they still persist with
priority to the right ********.....just paint a white line on the
road !

Could you explain that for the benefit of ignoramuses please?

When I started driving in France a few years ago I was petrified of the
"priorité a droit". This, as I discovered has been largely abandoned in
France, and when it's in force it is clearly signed. What is the situation in
Belgium?

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

......well.....they changed the law recently.....now, you must stop at
any road from the right and then look....if you bump into anyone from
the right for whatever reason, then its your
fault......except......nothing has really changed, you never know if
people will stop or not, so do some dont.
So if you want to avoid an accident you stop. This leads to the
inevitable 4 directions of traffic all looking at each other and
continues to lead to accidents.

Its not rocket science, draw a white line on the road (yes, some roads
do have them here !) and people pay attention.

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc
Tom P[_4_]

Mike Lane wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:24:48 +0000, Lord Taylor of Blackburn wrote
(in article
):

indeed, driving is not their strong point, and they still persist with
priority to the right ********.....just paint a white line on the
road !

Could you explain that for the benefit of ignoramuses please?

When I started driving in France a few years ago I was petrified of the
"priorité a droit". This, as I discovered has been largely abandoned in
France, and when it's in force it is clearly signed. What is the situation in
Belgium?

It's the rule in several countries in the absence of other road
markings, most commonly in quiet residential areas. Here in Germany I
can show you a dozen road crossings within 2km of my home where priority
from the right is the rule.
So, if you think that priority from the right doesn't exist, you are
just indulging in wishful thinking.
T.