OT - Cancer petition

Old November 7th, 2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank F. Matthews

Default OT - Cancer petition

F. wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

I really cannot see any utility to such a petition. Particularly one which
focuses on a particular form of cancer. Where does Ovarian fall in the
frequency of cancers?

UNBELIEVABLE

And why UNBELIEVABLE? There are many kinds of cancer why focus on this one?

Old November 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Ermalee wrote:
Frank F. Matthews wrote:

I really cannot see any utility to such a petition. Particularly one
which focuses on a particular form of cancer. Where does Ovarian fall
in the frequency of cancers?

George Leppla wrote:

In the past year a number of people on this group have mentioned that
someone in their family has been fighting cancer. My niece is one of
them... she has stage IV ovarian cancer.

There is a movement to have the Post Office issue an awareness stamp
similar to the one they have done for breast cancer. It begins with
gathering petitions.

If you would like to sign this petition, please go to
http://www.petitiononline.com/ovca2007/petition.html It only takes a
few seconds.

There are few families who have not been affected by cancer in one form
or another. Please consider signing this petition.

It's plenty frequent, as is breast cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer,
lymphoma, and all other forms of cancer. Signing the petition can't
hurt and hopefully, it could help. Something needs to help!!!

Ermalee ---signed willingly

It can hurt. It can cause a focus on just that one kind of cancer and
then expense on that one kind that results in the situation we have with
breast cancer and prostate cancer where the more common one gets much less
funding.

I'm not sure that's really correct.

As someone who has a little experience in the area, many cancer fighting
agents work on fast growing cells (doing things like interfering with the
replication of duplicate cells), and as a result, since many cancers are
fast growing cells, the cancer fighting agents will work on multiple
cancers. [Hair is also a fast growing cell, that's why chemo agents tend to
interfere with hair growth.]

Where the funding problem comes in... is that you get approval for a drug
for a single indication, such as ovarian cancer based on running clinical
trials. Then you need to run a whole new set of clinical trials for breast
cancer. And then a whole new set of trials for cervical cancer. And those
clinical studies can each take 2-3 years. And can sometimes cost up to $1
billion.

But there is one thing that oncologists will sometimes do... they'll use
chemotherapy agents off label.... meaning, even though an agent isn't
"officially" approved for a particular cancer, they figure... "what do we
have to lose"... and will use a good working chemo agent for other cancers
as well. Then what this also helps with, is you can see other cancers and
agent works on successfully, and you can then run clinicals for that cancer
next.

So I'm not sure that we really focus on one cancer at the expense of others.
Focusing on one tends to frequently have overlap to others.

--Tom

Old November 7th, 2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Ermalee" wrote in message
. ..
George Leppla wrote:

In the past year a number of people on this group have mentioned that
someone in their family has been fighting cancer. My niece is one of
them... she has stage IV ovarian cancer.

There is a movement to have the Post Office issue an awareness stamp
similar to the one they have done for breast cancer. It begins with
gathering petitions.

If you would like to sign this petition, please go to
http://www.petitiononline.com/ovca2007/petition.html It only takes a
few seconds.

There are few families who have not been affected by cancer in one form
or another. Please consider signing this petition.

Done.

Me too.... Done.

--Tom

I can't think of any family that hasn't had some affect of this dreaded
disease. My sister-in-law is recovering from lung cancer, and one of my
nieces begins chemo tomorrow.

Ermalee

Old November 7th, 2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Newby

F. wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

I really cannot see any utility to such a petition. Particularly one

which
focuses on a particular form of cancer. Where does Ovarian fall in the
frequency of cancers?

UNBELIEVABLE

And why UNBELIEVABLE? There are many kinds of cancer why focus on this

one?

Because it hits a subject near and dear to all of us, our mothers, wives,
daughter, and girl friends. My mother died from complications related to
ovarian cancer so I am somewhat familiar with it.

I follow the alt.support.cancer.prostate newsgroup. There has been recent
discussion about the amount of money that is directed to cancers that affect
women, primarily breast cancer, and the amount that is directed towards the
cancers that affect men. According to statistics quoted in that newsgroup,
women get significantly more money spent on their cancers than do men.

I agree, why focus on this one?

Old November 7th, 2006, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Ermalee" wrote in message
. ..

It's plenty frequent, as is breast cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer,
lymphoma, and all other forms of cancer. Signing the petition can't hurt
and hopefully, it could help. Something needs to help!!!

Ermalee ---signed willingly

Ovarian cancer is the 5th most common cancer in women and 25,000 women are
diagnosed with it each year with it causing approximately 16,000 deaths
annually. It used to be difficult to detect in its early stages as its
symptoms mimic other conditions. Now doctors are educating women to watch
for persistent signs that signal signs of ovarian cancer.
Cancer is a monstrous disease no matter where it is in the body. Bringing
attention to curing it can help everyone. Surely the post office can be
petitioned to help such a worthy cause.

--Jean---signed willingly too!

Old November 7th, 2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
lj

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

I am just a lowly postal employee, but a petition is not going to do
anything. It's kinda like spitting into the wind---futile, but you can say
you did it.

The best approach is to submit a design idea to the stamp committee within
the USPS....that is how stamps get approved. It would not hurt to have the
backing of a nationally known organization (as the breast cancer stamp did).

By no means am I against such, it is just that this approach is not anywhere
near the procedure to get this stamp approved.

Old November 8th, 2006, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

George Leppla wrote:
In the past year a number of people on this group have mentioned that
someone in their family has been fighting cancer. My niece is one of
them... she has stage IV ovarian cancer.

There is a movement to have the Post Office issue an awareness stamp similar
to the one they have done for breast cancer. It begins with gathering
petitions.

If you would like to sign this petition, please go to
http://www.petitiononline.com/ovca2007/petition.html It only takes a few
seconds.

George, consider it done and I am sending this request on to others.
Good luck to your niece!!

sue
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Had 2 brothers,2 sisters,mother ,and father all passed away from
cancer,so it runs in our family

cruise lover

Old November 8th, 2006, 02:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

I do know one thing,if i am to find out i have cancer,i will not let
them cut me open,saw what happened to my sisters,and my mother in
law,that is not for me. I am way to old for that torment.

cruise lover

Old November 8th, 2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_2_]

Surfer E2468 wrote:

I do know one thing,if i am to find out i have cancer,i will not let
them cut me open,saw what happened to my sisters,and my mother in
law,that is not for me. I am way to old for that torment.

cruise lover

My niece is 63 and is going for her first chemo treatment at 9 AM
tomorrow morning. I just came from her house. Her daughter had cut her
hair and she absolutely looks 10 years younger. Her ca has metasticized
and it does not look good. She will have chemo 3 days in a row.
She has a great attitude, and that's a good thing.

Ermalee