Agents losing turf to travel Web sites, travel association says

Old May 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Agents losing turf to travel Web sites, travel association says

To Whom It May Concern:

We came across this information in the trades, in the form of a press
release, and thought it would be of interest to this newsgroup as well.

A recently released Pacific Area Travel Association (PATA) report has
revealed travel agents, long gatekeepers of travel and price information,
are being replaced by online booking engines that provide hotel and travel
services, connecting anyone anywhere.

The report, Total Tourism Survey: The Industry Speaks, claims that smaller
players have benefited enormously from the new technology. "The technology
enables them to transmit information directly to consumers and finding more
creative ways to target repeat travelers.

"The mushrooming of low-cost carrier airlines can certainly be attributed
partly to the technology revolution. Travel agents and global distribution
system operators now have to radically alter their business models"

A Center for Asia Pacific Aviation (CAPA) report in India says travel agents
in India now have to accept a reduced commission of 5 percent, down from 9
percent previously. "It's only a matter of time before it is completely
wiped out."

Kapil Kaur, from CAPA's Indian office say airlines are now offering frequent
flier miles if tickets are booked online."

More experienced and well-traveled customers who are in the market for just
flight ticket and accommodation are increasingly relying on travel Web sites
to make reservations. International travel websites are also now
distributing travel packages via the Internet.

Apichart Sanary, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA)
estimates direct online reservation in Thailand is now about 40 percent of
the total business transacted, an increase of 10 percent compared to five
years ago.

John Watson, CEO of a travel agency told the Bangkok Post, agents still have
an important role to play. "Customers want to have direct contact with a
person who will get back to them when they have problems with their trip.

"The reservation websites have never been able to replace traditional travel
agents over the past 10 years, and I don't think they ever will.

"Travelers who are not cost-conscious want more than just making a
reservation. They want details on how to make their trips as pleasurable as
possible. Agents can add value to their operations by using the Internet
technology," added Watson.

Industry analysts point out travel agents need to evolve if they are to
remain a viable part of the industry. Agents need to start offering any and
every available service a traveler requires and become a travel advisor
charging a fee for the service, rather than earning a commission.

"Most travel agents are still living in a well."

John Sisker, Agency

Old May 15th, 2006, 03:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Mon, 15 May 2006 11:57:31 GMT, John Sisker wrote:

"Most travel agents are still living in a well."

And they will die a slow death there if they don't adjust too.
--
http://www.punkvoter.com/anim/anim-idiot.html
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake "John Sisker" :

[...]

How much did American pay you for your last booking. The States is
well ahead of the curve.

Kapil Kaur, from CAPA's Indian office say airlines are now offering frequent
flier miles if tickets are booked online."

Yup.

--
dillon

I didn't climb to the top of the
food chain to become a vegetarian.
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Of the comments received in reference to this particular news release, I
think Chrissy Cruiser summed it up best, with... "And they will die a slow
death there if they don't adjust too."

I too operate with what could be considered the old fashion way, providing
that truly "Mom & Pop" service, yet also having access to very competitive
prices. We could charge a service fee, and actually do under some
situations, but providing just an on-line menu for price shoppers is not our
objective. How can we then compete and get the clients simply price
shopping? That's easy. We just let them do all the walking first, then
simple give them our best price on the best price they think they already
found. It's that simple, and it works just about every time

John Sisker, Agency

Old May 18th, 2006, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:30:03 GMT, John Sisker wrote:

Of the comments received in reference to this particular news release, I
think Chrissy Cruiser summed it up best, with... "And they will die a slow
death there if they don't adjust too."

I too operate with what could be considered the old fashion way, providing
that truly "Mom & Pop" service, yet also having access to very competitive
prices. We could charge a service fee, and actually do under some
situations, but providing just an on-line menu for price shoppers is not our
objective. How can we then compete and get the clients simply price
shopping? That's easy. We just let them do all the walking first, then
simple give them our best price on the best price they think they already
found. It's that simple, and it works just about every time

John Sisker, Agency

We got into the TA biz strictly for a niche in the Group marketplace which
we believed, and were right, that it was a quickly closing window; that is,
the cruise lines, especially Carnival, would readjust their support,
pricing, booking allowances, etc. We weren't interested in your approach
not that it is wrong, just didn't fit the small amount of time we could
allocate.

Good luck, John.
--
http://www.punkvoter.com/anim/anim-idiot.html

Old May 18th, 2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"jim" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Jim, I wouldn't have seen this if you had not included it in your post....
The last part of the above post from John Sisker, "smacks" with the
business ethics of another *John* who was a T/A who posted here a lot a long
time ago..Everyone knows what happened to him.

--Jean.

Old May 19th, 2006, 04:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Jean, When Sisker first started p[osting I thought he WAS that other John
from day gone by and ripped into him. I was wrong and I told him so and
apologized. That was the reason I did a private E-mail to him. When I am
wrong, I say so and apologize. Again, while I agree with RF about Ray doing
what he does improperly, I in no way support or agree with his actions, nor
anyone else that gets nasty. I don't think you have ever seen me screaming
or get nasty with anyone here. I disagree with some which is my right but
being nasty isn't my style. Maybe some little zingers every now and then but
nothing cruel.
Jim

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
. net...

.. .

Old May 19th, 2006, 04:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hey Lee, Lord no! Don't lump me in with them! I have disavowed what they are
doing as it is childish and just as bad, heck worse than what he does. I do
still help people occasionally in public but if they have a valid e-mail I
often simply e-mail them with the proper information if I know it. Saves
getting slammed here by some of the nuts around.
Jim

"Lee Lindquist" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:19:00 -0400, "jim"
wrote:

A "Mom and Pop" agency like Ray's you mean? Oh, that's right, he doesn't
even have a Mom!

Jim,

A while ago you posted that you post here because you like
to cruise and you like to help people.

Here's a direct quote:

"Again, I am through with the individuals on this
website and will only check in every now and then to see if I can help
answer someone's question when nobody else will."

I haven't seen any helpful posts by you in quite a while.
You seem to be obsessed with bashing Ray. Obviously,
he did something that ****ed you off. Regardless of what
it was, I suggest you take a step back, and look at they
way you now appear in this newsgroup.

It's certainly contrary to what you said you would be doing.

Additionally, I suggest you look objectively at some of the
people who have it out for Ray. Are these the kind of
folks you want to be lumped in with?

--
- Lee

Old May 19th, 2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Thu, 18 May 2006 23:28:06 -0400, jim wrote:

When I am wrong, I say so and apologize.

That's a lie. You said my breasts aren't perky.

Never heard a damn thing from you.
--
http://www.punkvoter.com/anim/anim-idiot.html