Hotel Room Cooking--How Common is It?

Old December 27th, 2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

Default Hotel Room Cooking--How Common is It?

"CalifBill" wrote in message

"sharx35" wrote in message

"Marsha" wrote in message
sharx35 wrote:
Cheap *******s like Calif Bill don't realize that part of being on a
TRUE vacation is NOT, repeat NOT having to make meals.

Not at all. It's a matter of priorities. If I can go on an extra city
tour or spend more days on the road on vacation by fixing my own food in
the hotel room, it's a tradeoff that is well worth it. Food is not the
most important thing to everyone when they are on vacation.

Marsha/Ohio

Food and sex are the biggies. Everything else pales in comparison.

You seem to not understand neither of those items.

Your use of a double negative implies that I DO understand BOTH of those
items.

Old December 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"SMS ???. ?" wrote in message
sharx35 wrote:
"SMS ???. ?" wrote in message
sharx35 wrote:

Cheap *******s like Calif Bill don't realize that part of being on a
TRUE vacation is NOT, repeat NOT having to make meals.
I find eating every meal in a restaurant to be less relaxing than eating
on the balcony of the hotel room, or in a communal kitchen.

A communal kitchen is relaxing? Yeah, right.

Very relaxing. You aren't rushed, you have lots of space to spread out,
there are large refrigerators and commercial quality appliances. They have
lockers to store your non-perishables. You don't have to get back in the
car and drive somewhere to go eat. You have better food, it's faster, and
it's less expensive.

You have to look at the big picture. Most of those people that are cooking
in their rooms could well afford to eat out every meal if that's the way
they chose to spend their time and money.

This past winter we went to Banff and stayed in a cabin at the hostel,
which was next to the main building that had a communal kitchen. You get
to meet other travelers, and it's more relaxing than dealing with crowds
at restaurants. Plus, the food in Alberta restaurants is not
particularly memorable, and many don't allow children (they are
permitted to allow either smoking or children, and most choose smoking).

D'oh, I wonder why. Children are, all too often, a major pain in the ass
in restaurants.

Financially, it probably makes much more sense to allow smoking than
children in a place like Alberta. Children don't eat enough, often they
get low-priced kid's meals, and of course they aren't consuming
high-margin beer, wine, and mixed drinks. In a place with a lot of smokers
and big drinkers, the restaurants can write-off adults that want a
smoke-free restaurant, as well as families. Walking and driving around
Calgary in the winter looking for a non-fast-food restaurant that allows
kids was no fun. We finally found a good Chinese restaurant in Calgary
Chinatown.

Nothing wrong with that. Chinese are big on veggies.

Old December 27th, 2007, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

Not at all. It's a matter of priorities. If I can go on an extra city
tour or spend more days on the road on vacation by fixing my own food in
the hotel room, it's a tradeoff that is well worth it. Food is not the
most important thing to everyone when they are on vacation.

Marsha/Ohio

Well, I cook at home every day. When I am on VACATION I want someone
else to cook and do the dishes and to make my bed and leave me fresh
towels. Besdies, realistically how much $$ do you save and how much
travel time do you forfeit while cooking in your hotel? When I travel
I want to be OUT experiencing where I am. All I want to do in my hotel
is shower and sleep.

And in exploring a new place, whether in the USA or abroad,
discovering new foods is a real pleasure.
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
CalifBill

"sharx35" wrote in message

"Marsha" wrote in message
sharx35 wrote:
Cheap *******s like Calif Bill don't realize that part of being on a
TRUE vacation is NOT, repeat NOT having to make meals.

Not at all. It's a matter of priorities. If I can go on an extra city
tour or spend more days on the road on vacation by fixing my own food
in the hotel room, it's a tradeoff that is well worth it. Food is not
the most important thing to everyone when they are on vacation.

Marsha/Ohio

Food and sex are the biggies. Everything else pales in comparison.

You seem to not understand neither of those items.

Your use of a double negative implies that I DO understand BOTH of those
items.

I guess I am in error.

Old December 27th, 2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Carole Allen wrote:
Not at all. It's a matter of priorities. If I can go on an extra city
tour or spend more days on the road on vacation by fixing my own food in
the hotel room, it's a tradeoff that is well worth it. Food is not the
most important thing to everyone when they are on vacation.
Marsha/Ohio

Well, I cook at home every day. When I am on VACATION I want someone
else to cook and do the dishes and to make my bed and leave me fresh
towels. Besdies, realistically how much $$ do you save and how much
travel time do you forfeit while cooking in your hotel? When I travel
I want to be OUT experiencing where I am. All I want to do in my hotel
is shower and sleep.

And in exploring a new place, whether in the USA or abroad,
discovering new foods is a real pleasure.

This is true, when you're traveling to experience the culture of the
area. It's a little different when you go to certain places all the time
for specific purposes other than cultural enlightenment. Believe me, you
aren't going to experience much in Reno in the way of unique food.

What got me started on this thread was my experiences on a trip up to
Reno, for the purpose of skiing. The time it takes to go to restaurants,
as well as the expense of eating every meal out, is such that in-room
meal preparation is desirable. One morning we tried to get breakfast at
one of the hotel's restaurants, "2nd street express." As the long line
moved forward, and it was almost my turn, the employee grabbed the signs
with their breakfast food items off the counter and put them away. It
was about 8:30 a.m., and they had run out of food. So we ended up
driving to McDonald's on the way up to Mount Rose. I'd have much
preferred to cook a simple breakfast in the room while getting ready to
go. The next morning we had leftover Costco pizza heated up on the iron,
as well as muffins and fruit.
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
CalifBill

"Carole Allen" wrote in message
Not at all. It's a matter of priorities. If I can go on an extra city
tour or spend more days on the road on vacation by fixing my own food
in
the hotel room, it's a tradeoff that is well worth it. Food is not the
most important thing to everyone when they are on vacation.
Marsha/Ohio

Well, I cook at home every day. When I am on VACATION I want someone
else to cook and do the dishes and to make my bed and leave me fresh
towels. Besdies, realistically how much $$ do you save and how much
travel time do you forfeit while cooking in your hotel? When I travel
I want to be OUT experiencing where I am. All I want to do in my hotel
is shower and sleep.

And in exploring a new place, whether in the USA or abroad,
discovering new foods is a real pleasure.

You actually have more exploration time by eating a light breakfast in the
hotel room, cereal or breakfast bars as opposed to spending an hour with
seating / ordering / consuming in a restaurant.

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Carole Allen" wrote in message
Not at all. It's a matter of priorities. If I can go on an extra city
tour or spend more days on the road on vacation by fixing my own food
in
the hotel room, it's a tradeoff that is well worth it. Food is not the
most important thing to everyone when they are on vacation.
Marsha/Ohio

Well, I cook at home every day. When I am on VACATION I want someone
else to cook and do the dishes and to make my bed and leave me fresh
towels. Besdies, realistically how much $$ do you save and how much
travel time do you forfeit while cooking in your hotel? When I travel
I want to be OUT experiencing where I am. All I want to do in my hotel
is shower and sleep.

And in exploring a new place, whether in the USA or abroad,
discovering new foods is a real pleasure.

Great post, Carole! I wonder how the WIVES of these cheap *******s feel
about HAVING to cook while on VACATION? I suspect that the WIVES might not
be so happy with the idea.

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"SMS ???. ?" wrote in message
Carole Allen wrote:
[...]

When you go to El Cheapo restaurances, expect that kind of **** to happen.
Try QUALITY restaurants, for a change.

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

"Carole Allen" wrote in message

.. Besides, realistically how much $$ do you save and how much
travel time do you forfeit while cooking in your hotel? When I travel
I want to be OUT experiencing where I am. All I want to do in my hotel
is shower and sleep.

And in exploring a new place, whether in the USA or abroad,
discovering new foods is a real pleasure.

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:49:35 -0800, "CalifBill"
wrote:
You actually have more exploration time by eating a light breakfast in the
hotel room, cereal or breakfast bars as opposed to spending an hour with
seating / ordering / consuming in a restaurant.

When I travel the only really huge restaurant meal I eat is the dinenr
one. I am not a big breakfast person, so I usually grab a tea and a
sweet, something like a croissant, something I wouldn't eat (or cook)
at home, and walk and explore while I munch. At lunch I get a quick
pick-up in a take-out, perhaps a wrap, or in France a croque madame,
or in Italy a pizza slab or tremezzini, or something in the stand-up
bars. Or fresh fruit or snacks from an outdoor market. I splurge on
a larger more exotic dinner where I can relax and take my time.

And as for the person who thought dining alone wasn't very much fun,
when I have traveled alone, I always told the person seating me if
anyone else was alone and wanted to share a table, they could share
mine. I have met some lovely people from a variety of countries that
way.

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

wrote:
[...]

With *your* positive attitude, you probably encounter far fewer travelling
problems than do many here, such as Calif Bill.