Car Hire

Old January 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

Default Car Hire

In article ,
"Sarah Banick" wrote:

"db" wrote in message
Hi
I'm going to Orlando later on in January. I want a car for the 14 days
that I am there. Would I be better off waiting until I get there to hire a
car, or should I book up in the UK before I leave. I'm probably going to
travel with Virgin. They do give you a free car but you have to pay about
£250 for insurance which I realise is a necessity. I don't need to get a
car at the airport because Virgin give free transfers so I should be able
to get one the day after I arrive. Can anyone advise me on my best plan of
action and also what pitfalls should I be aware of?
Many thanks
Dave

One more thing -- rental companies tend to be set up for pick up/drop off at
the airport, so you could pay more getting one in town. Don't get too
attached to the idea of using your free transfers.

Actually, in some cities, the rental agencies are taxed more for their
airport locations (to help pay for tourist attractions), so renting away
from the airport can save money. Its best to check before renting.
Old January 6th, 2008, 01:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Sarah Banick" wrote:
One more thing -- rental companies tend to be set up for pick up/
drop off at the airport, so you could pay more getting one in town.

Airport rental locations must pay concession fees to the port authority
for counters in the baggage area and the right to drive their vans about
the terminal, so they often tack on a surcharge that you may see on
your reservation, tht is not applicable at /city/ or /downtown/ locations.

I'd use the hotel's airport transfer, and reserve at a site near the hotel.
Some hotels have car-rental desks, but it is better to reserve ahead.
Usually, returns to the airport location can be made for departing fights
without a surcharge, since that is still considered a local rental.

Old January 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Sarah Banick:
One more thing -- rental companies tend to be set up for pick up/
drop off at the airport, so you could pay more getting one in town.

Shawn Hirn:
Actually, in some cities, the rental agencies are taxed more for their
airport locations (to help pay for tourist attractions), so renting away
from the airport can save money.

On the other hand, the largest car rental offices tend to be airport
ones -- at least, at major airports -- so they're more likely to have
the type or model of car you want. On the third hand, for the same
reason, getting from the airport terminal to the rental office to the
actual car can take a while.
--
Mark Brader | Peter Neumann on Y2K:
Toronto | This problem gives new meaning to "going out on