Coach travel with a suit

Old June 12th, 2010, 07:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
OccasionalFlyer

Default Coach travel with a suit

I hope this question won't seem silly or obvious but here goes. I
don't fly much but when I do, I sit in coach, I'm going to a
conference, and I need to dress for success so I bring a suit. I
typically bring my suit coat in an appropriate, but thin, garment
bag. I've noticed that no other men seem to do this, yet I'm sure I'm
not the only man on the plane who has a suit. I don't think that
wearing a suit coat for six or seven hours of travel, two planes and a
stopover, is a way for the coat to arrive in very presentable
condition (it will have sweat on it by the time I reach my
destination). At th3e same time, most men I see have only carry-on
luggage apparently (this is based on observing how many roll-a-board
bags they have, not by some kind of auditing of baggage claim). So,
okay. How can I get my suit coat in good condition (not wrinkled and
not sweaty or dirty from being stuffed in an overhead compartment)?
I'm also assuming I'm not the only one who does not have huge amounts
of space in my carry-on luggage. Thanks.
Old June 12th, 2010, 08:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 23:02:39 -0700 (PDT) OccasionalFlyer
wrote:

[...]

It can be folded and taken in a regular carry-on. Or you can wear it on to the
plain, and after aboard take out your thin garment bag and place the suit coat
within it.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old June 12th, 2010, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

On 12/06/10 07:02, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
[...]

Learn how to fold a suit, then put a proper suitcase in the hold.

--
William Black

These are the gilded popinjays and murderous assassins of Perfidious
Albion and they are about their Queen's business. Any man who impedes
their passage does so at his own peril.

Old June 13th, 2010, 01:03 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Louis Krupp[_2_]

On 6/12/2010 12:02 AM, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
[...]

I googled for "fold suit travel" and found some useful information.
I've done a variation of this with a sport coat and a frame meant for
folding coats, and everything worked out OK, but I lost those
instructions a long time ago.

If you do fold things flat, put something (a sock, whatever) rolled up
inside the crease so the crease doesn't sharpen. If you want to get rid
of wrinkles after you arrive, hang whatever it is in the bathroom while
you take a shower.

You can cut down on other clothing by getting quick-dry underwear that
you hand-wash and hang dry in the hotel room.

There's nothing wrong with a garment bag, if that's what works for you.

And keep in mind that if you do have a few wrinkles, the chances are
that no one is going to notice.

Louis

Old June 13th, 2010, 02:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

Some fabrics are also more wrinkle resistant.

Old June 14th, 2010, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_3_]

In message Louis Krupp
was claimed to have wrote:

I googled for "fold suit travel" and found some useful information.
I've done a variation of this with a sport coat and a frame meant for
folding coats, and everything worked out OK, but I lost those
instructions a long time ago.

You can also look at rolling rather than folding.

And keep in mind that if you do have a few wrinkles, the chances are
that no one is going to notice.

Especially if you just jumped off the plane and went straight to
meetings without visiting a hotel.
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom P[_6_]

OccasionalFlyer wrote:
[...]

I had the same challenge recently. Forget about using a carry-on. You
can't get a suit into a legal size carry-on without risking crushing it.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Andy Davidson[_2_]

Tom P wrote:
OccasionalFlyer wrote:
How can I get my suit coat in good condition (not wrinkled and
not sweaty or dirty from being stuffed in an overhead compartment)?

I had the same challenge recently. Forget about using a carry-on.
You can't get a suit into a legal size carry-on without risking
crushing it.

Hi,

Look for a suit specifically marketed as crease resistant. This works
for me!